Keep as spare or sell

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya doesnt that suck LOL. dont do what i did and add up what youve spent on it. we had 20,000+ into the 174 rev we built. sold it a few years later for 4500 that was a sad day LOL

Too late! I'm over $8,500 into her...lol

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell it. NOW!

In 2 months no one wants to buy a sled, they are thinking of summer.

My season ended before it even started, and I had the same dilema. I figure I could keep it and maybe ride one more time this season, or sell it while the market is at it's peak. If you sell next fall, you won't get as much as now, and if you buy new it will never get used. Plus it's just taking up room.

One thing, if your friends want to come riding, and they don't have a sled, get them to rent one. Then you don't have to worry of something, or everything going wrong.

As for mods, yeah they are fun, and it's nice to customize, but in reality, when it's time to slap that donkey's ass, it only makes the sled sell easier.

I figure you get MAYBE $0.25 on the dollar for every mod, you are better to sell the sled as stock as possible, and sell the goodies separate. (Risers, skis..wheel kit etc.) KIJIJI it! Mind you there are not a lot of things that you can swap out in a couple of hours to make it worth it. A lot of things were needed, like the reeds, boards, gears, vents...

And never sell to someone you know. Sure you know it's a good sled, and nothing will go wrong, BUT! if something does... then you will feel bad and hard feelings could surface..

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A spare sled can be a hassle as everyone will want to borrow it and mile it out while you pay the insurance, registration and store it.

Only if you let 'em. As far as I'm concerned they can go buy/rent their own! I'm done lending my stuff out.

I'd keep it as a backup......and don't listen to the guys telling you you'll never ride it after buying a new one. Stuff happens. I've got my 2 main sleds broken right now and I've been riding the old 670 Summit. Old technology....rides rough....totally wrong ergonomics....but it still beats the crap out of sitting on the couch looking out at the snow! Although.....the couch was lookin pretty good by the end of the last ride! :D

Last edited:

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kept my spare a couple yrs ago and figured itd be my back up AND my wifes or sons to use whenever. It just sat and took up room for the majority of the 3 yrs, so I sold them both and purchased one brand new one. Sold that too now im sledless atm Dangit

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting calls and actually getting people seriously to look at it, are 2 different things.
You would be amazed at what people buy for aftermarket or take off parts/accessories.... I had about 50 things that I threw on kijiji, and S&N, and I have 3 things left. The parts sell like hotcakes... sleds, not so much. Pocket cash!

Was going to ask $5,000 but $4,500 all in seems more realistic. Although I have gotten a ridiculous amount of interest maybe I'm asking too little. All goodies included. Maybe even the Skinz tunnel bag I bought for it...and maybe even the clutch tools I bought for it depending what brand I go to buy new.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting calls and actually getting people seriously to look at it, are 2 different things.
You would be amazed at what people buy for aftermarket or take off parts/accessories.... I had about 50 things that I threw on kijiji, and S&N, and I have 3 things left. The parts sell like hotcakes... sleds, not so much. Pocket cash!

But I'm lazy...lol. Plus most of the stuff on the sled that was replaced was replaced because I had to. Broke, worn etc. Not gonna throw old crap on it. That'd be a d!ck move.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, you are right, like I said lots of things were needed.

but things like your riser for instance... It still is ok for the average guy... Maybe you will sell it to a hobbit...:p

75% of the people wanting to buy an older sled won't even know what an adjustable riser is, or they will get an even taller one..

I took my risers off my rev and used them on my XP. I bought a boss seat, and kept the stocker. , I swapped them back when I sold and still got 260 for the seat.

Things that they will inherit with the sled, which aren't attached, will probably never even get used by the new owner, and thrown in a box, and just given away when he sells it too...I just figure if I could save a few hundy, I could spend that on my new sled. Most peeps want to buy a sled that is in good shape. That is the buying factor. goodies are secondary. Your sled is well kept. THAT is your biggest selling feature. It's your baby.

But I'm lazy...lol. Plus most of the stuff on the sled that was replaced was replaced because I had to. Broke, worn etc. Not gonna throw old crap on it. That'd be a d!ck move.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, you are right, like I said lots of things were needed.

but things like your riser for instance... It still is ok for the average guy... Maybe you will sell it to a hobbit...:p

75% of the people wanting to buy an older sled won't even know what an adjustable riser is, or they will get an even taller one..

I took my risers off my rev and used them on my XP. I bought a boss seat, and kept the stocker. , I swapped them back when I sold and still got 260 for the seat.

Things that they will inherit with the sled, which aren't attached, will probably never even get used by the new owner, and thrown in a box, and just given away when he sells it too...I just figure if I could save a few hundy, I could spend that on my new sled. Most peeps want to buy a sled that is in good shape. That is the buying factor. goodies are secondary. Your sled is well kept. THAT is your biggest selling feature. It's your baby.

It's an adjustable riser. :) But yes I understand what you are saying.

Yes she is my baby, and I will shed a tear when I sell her for sure.

Polaris2012

Reaction score
My brother and I used to ride my dads spare sleds but he sold them all (3) and bought himself an m1000 a few years ago. I guess its time for me to get my own toys..lol.. I have been looking around for a rev but most of what im finding in my area is junk or overpriced or both. PM me with your price if you stil have it. Im not really sure what the procedure is for bringing it back into the states though. does anyone know? can i just haul it back or what?

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I used to ride my dads spare sleds but he sold them all (3) and bought himself an m1000 a few years ago. I guess its time for me to get my own toys..lol.. I have been looking around for a rev but most of what im finding in my area is junk or overpriced or both. PM me with your price if you stil have it. Im not really sure what the procedure is for bringing it back into the states though. does anyone know? can i just haul it back or what?

that would be the first time I've ever heard of a guy from the US wanting to buy in Canada and bring it back down. I'm sure you could find sleds down that way for good deals. No?

Polaris2012

Reaction score
i sure i could if i waited till spring, but like i say most of the sleds im finding are either junk or overpriced.. lots of xps for sale and lots of "vintage sleds", im taking my buddies 2003 summit highmark to cooke the first weekend in feb to see if i want to buy that. I did find a couple of xp's for around $4000 but im skeptical of that, seems too good to be true. one of the guys told me he bought the sled to race it (this sled has a 162" track i dont think hes gonna win too much.) i also find guys selling 04 revs asking 7500. i only want to spend around 4g and im not finding too much in that range. ill prolly end up buying my buddys 03

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep as a spare! It's nice having a few spares in the fleet! Everyone is going to b$tch about what you want for it or try to Jew ya anyway, not worth the hassle! IMO

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep as a spare! It's nice having a few spares in the fleet! Everyone is going to b$tch about what you want for it or try to Jew ya anyway, not worth the hassle! IMO

Not one person has tried to Jew me or negotiate so my price must be fair. Got a guy saying he's giving me a grand deposit on the 4th and will pay it off over the rest of the winter. Who knows he could try to phuk me but seems like a solid dude. We shall see.:D

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope.

I would never do a deal like that. It could become a huge headache for you. If he is good for it, then the banks should have no problem loaning the mula. he can go to a bank like everyone else and pay interest...unless you hold the sled in your posession fully until it's payed off.

Not one person has tried to Jew me or negotiate so my price must be fair. Got a guy saying he's giving me a grand deposit on the 4th and will pay it off over the rest of the winter. Who knows he could try to phuk me but seems like a solid dude. We shall see.:D

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope.

I would never do a deal like that. It could become a huge headache for you. If he is good for it, then the banks should have no problem loaning the mula. he can go to a bank like everyone else and pay interest...unless you hold the sled in your posession fully until it's payed off.

Haha ya I wasn't born yesterday. I will keep the sled in my possession until its fully paid for. I will also include a "must be paid by August 31/13" date so that if he dicks around with "payments" I don't get stuck with the sled another season. Will record all payments and hold in a seperation account until paid for. :)

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While here ya go I'll give ya $2000! Deposit on the 3rd and not pay ya the rest!

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well if ya change your mind ;) I will give ya half now and half this time next month in full :) I personally would NEVER go the route your going. I did that once ONLY once.

And of course youd keep the sled till paid in full :)

Top Bottom