Justin Trudeau Sucks!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve put geothermal systems in apartments down town Calgary, we drilled the borehole before they built, the borehole field is under the apartment. We also redesigned one of my LIS seismic drills, we can get it in a postage stamp yard and drill within 5’ of the building…..

But enough of that crap, let’s get back to the important ch!t… Trudeau sucks.
You are correct... Trudeau SUCKS

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve put geothermal systems in apartments down town Calgary, we drilled the borehole before they built, the borehole field is under the apartment. We also redesigned one of my LIS seismic drills, we can get it in a postage stamp yard and drill within 5’ of the building…..

But enough of that crap, let’s get back to the important ch!t… Trudeau sucks.
Geothermal heat pumps are great technology but are not what the government is proposing people install.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geothermal heat pumps are great technology but are not what the government is proposing people install.
Maybe vertical bore holes are OK, but the house I bought has horizontal loops, and it works OK in mild temps but expensive af in the winter. System uses 3 heat pumps, can't keep up at -15 -20. #Trudeausucks

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not if it’s designed properly to the ground mean temps/building envelope.. for the big jobs (airports, recplex, etc) there should be a TC (thermal conductivity test) done first. That will Indicate the energy you can extract (heating) or reject (cooling).. We have projects with as shallow as 200’ boreholes, Calgary airport 492’, Vancouver airport 500’ boreholes, as well as several project in Ontario as deep as 900 and 1000’ boreholes. If you don’t have the real-estate, you go down. Designed properly it is in fact an infinite source of energy, poorly designed and it will in fact saturate or freeze the surrounding area (5-6’) around the borehole.
Horizontal systems are a whole new ball game. I wouldn’t recommend unless drilling conditions are extremely poor and a good overburdened of heavy soil.

That’s not the heat pump that the govt is pushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s not the heat pump that the govt is pushing.

Not sure what he’s pushing other than a $15000 federal and $5000 provincial incentive.

air source heat pumps work reasonably well in BC but I don’t think worth ch!t east for heating..

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what he’s pushing other than a $15000 federal and $5000 provincial incentive.

air source heat pumps work reasonably well in BC but I don’t think worth ch!t east for heating..

Air source is very popular in the east, the hidden part of the story is most home have supplemental heat like a wood stove.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last house i built we had heat pump
after -3 i found cost wise it was cheaper to use the natual gas to heat that the electric

This! You nailed it!

Most heat pumps have an electric element back up that no one has mentioned, generally set to come on below 0*C. My other question for Atlantic Canada is how there power is generated, if it is fossil fuel then duh.

Myself I also have the ultra whiz bang heat pump, for comfort reasons only. Main source of heat is a radiant propane fired stove, heat pump is secondary & a supplement only. The propane stove does not need electric power.

My other suspicion is the Atlantic area is going to be like rural BC & subject to a high number of power outages, so you really need two sources of heat or back up power.

Such a fail this BS of heat pumps saving the planet & changing the world weather.......

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This! You nailed it!

Most heat pumps have an electric element back up that no one has mentioned, generally set to come on below 0*C. My other question for Atlantic Canada is how there power is generated, if it is fossil fuel then duh.

Myself I also have the ultra whiz bang heat pump, for comfort reasons only. Main source of heat is a radiant propane fired stove, heat pump is secondary & a supplement only. The propane stove does not need electric power.

My other suspicion is the Atlantic area is going to be like rural BC & subject to a high number of power outages, so you really need two sources of heat or back up power.

Such a fail this BS of heat pumps saving the planet & changing the world weather.......
The air duct systems do come with a big toaster, and the typical design/training (back 2000-2012 when we installed residential) was to install a system to heat 75% +/- of the envelope and the toaster would help in the few colder weeks of winter. This was to bring install costs down, I suppose to make it an easier sell???
All my design/installs were to 100% of the heat load. Didn’t make sense to me to tax your ground loop or heat your house with electricity in a natural gas rich province.. My personal home has been on geothermal since 1999, the electric plenum was used in one 24 hour period only due to a heat pump failure in December 2022.
The long and short is the ground source systems do work well (horizontal and borehole) if installed properly. But with electricity on the rise and natural gas at your property line, I personally feel it’s a luxury especially in Alberta rather than a necessity.. However should electricity become clean and affordable, it would make sense.

Sorry for the derail and long post..

Broke’n’nuts, if your horizontal ground system is in sand or a light sandy soil, it will have issues functioning coming out of the gate, especially in a dry year. I helped a fella south east of Calgary, (he installed his own ground loop) we watered his horizontal field down in the fall and that helped a lot. Another no no on horizontal systems is you don’t want any traffic (critters, people, vehicles) on them in the winter..

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of how well heat pumps work.....all these government programs do is funnel tax money into the pockets of crooked contractors. Heat pumps around here are going for an insane amount. You have to go through the installers with thier inflated prices to take part in the program

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’d be willing to bet a deep dive would show a bunch of government officials suddenly hold shares in heat pump manufacturers
Or better yet…. Electrical generation companies….

Get the whole country on heat pumps and solely reliant on the electrical grid, and then charge the hell out of them.
Just another control tactic….

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Or better yet…. Electrical generation companies….

Get the whole country on heat pumps and solely reliant on the electrical grid, and then charge the hell out of them.
Just another control tactic….
That’s a given. The government has their greasy fingers in all utilities and resources. The free heat pump offer if just another place to get their take

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sound advice above by Dazzler for sure, its all about design and installation, 10k is not going to get you very far into a correctly designed system that's for sure.

Top Bottom