Just Got a 2010 M8 SP! Now What?

ndhusker

Reaction score
Read through lots of posts on what to do, but its all from 2011. I'm looking for some updated info and what has worked for a couple years! Right now the sled is completely stock (never even changed plugs and only on the second belt) w/ 1500 miles. Right away I'm not looking to dump all the much into the sled hopefully keep around $600 or so. Thinking a Can (for ditching weight and sweet sound) and some clutching work should wake it up even more.

Has anyone ever found a can that has worked at 1500ft that doesn't turn into a dog in the mountains at 9k feet? I'm trying to stay from a super loud one if that's possible, but performance will trump noise level.

What about the clutch set up? Has anyone tried the MDS weights, or do others work just as well? I can't really wrap my head around spending that much on weights and how just changing weights will really wake up the sled that much. Any other clutch updates/set ups that I should check out? I've heard good and bad things about torsional set ups effecting reverse. Do they have that figured out now?

I've read a bunch on the DD bearing update and have an skf bearing ordered, hope no machining has to be done...

I'm in ND and out here ride between 1500 and 2500 feet, with trips planned to Cooke City which gets up to around 10,000. I'm 215 w/o all the gear on (if that matters).

Thanks

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have three M8's
Two with just MPRP can's, 36/40 Helix power commader 5 with the Auto tune
One the 2010 has the full SLP pipe, can, air intake, port/polish, head work, 36/40 helix as well as the power commander 5 with auto tune.

The MPRP can works well with the stock pipe at both 2000' and had it up to 9,000, it's got more bark then the SLP set up.
My son rides the 2010 and wanted the louder can, so he swaped the MBRP for the SLP. The MPRP can on the tuned SLP pipe, bogged on the bottom end....once moving it seemed to do fine....but I made him but the SLP back on and the bog went away....

scrub

Reaction score
I'm running the Skinz super-q on my 2011 M8 and runs flawless. Has a nice tone but not near a loud as an MBRP. Running stock y-pipe and pipe. I also have been considering the MDS weights or RK Tek secondary. Clutching is fine @ lower elevations, but I have found peak RPM to drop off at elevation or heavy snow. Back shift is also supposed to be improved with either MDS or torsional.

wants snow

Reaction score
got a 2010 m8 sp, mbrp can on it never had any problems with it. looks real good and i like the sound as well. have 38/44 helix in secondary. i am 170 with gear on i dont know if it would work as well with a heavier rider or if the 44 would be to steep. running mds weights, really like them seem to have a real tight squeeze on the belt and was in valemount this weekend in set up snow and the thing pulls like a train. keep in mind the reeds like to chip apart on these sleds. just changed mine had about 600 miles, insatlled rage cages and am pleased with the way they work, and fit and finish is nice.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 m8 153, have an mbrp can, dalton adjustable weights, and a bdx cold air intake, runs great, over 3000 km on the same belt an original plugs sled just seems to work well all the time, gauge cage is a must to be able to see your speedo, doesnt run as well at really low elevation, like under 3000' but still runs good, crisps right up at 3000 and above

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best thing you can do for that sled is swap out the powerclaw track for a 2.5 Camo extreme. We did a side by side comparison last weekend with a 2010 153 M8, and a 2011 162 M8 on the same hill in a foot and a half of fresh snow with the same rider...both pretty comparable...but my old M7 with 20 hp less and a camo extreme ran circles around both M8's. We were shocked! First time we've ever done a test like this.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track definitely sucks the big one, been thinking of putting a new track on mine for the last few months

Best thing you can do for that sled is swap out the powerclaw track for a 2.5 Camo extreme. We did a side by side comparison last weekend with a 2010 153 M8, and a 2011 162 M8 on the same hill in a foot and a half of fresh snow with the same rider...both pretty comparable...but my old M7 with 20 hp less and a camo extreme ran circles around both M8's. We were shocked! First time we've ever done a test like this.

Top Bottom