Just bought a Brand New 2010 nytro mtx se

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just helped my dad purchase this sled, got it for 10,000 brand new from dealer which I thought was a really good deal Im in canada which makes things always more money!

I wanted to know is there anything that are must dos on these sleds besides the turbo. My dad just wanted a good reliable mountian sled because his not looking to climb the steepest terrian and go in the deepest powder so I thought this was probably the best choice! So lets hear what updates I should get for him if any!!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He better be ready to dig her out, no turbo watch out.Goodluck

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots o yammy hate on here man. They r easy to ignore though. If he's not ridin hard then I wouldn't do a thing. Go for a few rides and then he will know what he wants for extras. Congrats on the purchase.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stealing post relocation kit is a must its not to expendive and it makes the sled so much better

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys im getting the dealer to put in the roll over valve with tether cord and I think ill do the steering relocator myself

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys im getting the dealer to put in the roll over valve with tether cord and I think ill do the steering relocator myself

Good call on the roll over valve.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Roll over valve is a must have!!! I am probably the only you are going to here this from but a turbo on these machines is not a must. If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times power is not the issue.....it's handling. Solve that and you've got a totally brand new machine. Side to side these are a well balanced machine it's the front to back geometry that causes the issues. I rode my Nytro bone stock for 3 years and while it can be done it's not very fun and honestly if we had not dumped a bunch of money into that sled last year we would have gotten rid of it.

The fundamental issue with that sled is not power it is handling. This is where me and everyone else's opinion varies. You can boost these babies to the moon but you have not addressed the underlying issue of handling. The Nytro is a very well balanced sled side to side but not back to front it darts and dives all over the place. It will just as soon through a rider off on a side hill or flop over and roll down the hill due to this.

The handling issues on the Nytro's comes down to a front to back balancing issue. The Nytro is designed to put the rider in a very "rider forward" position. So what you end up with is the majority of the weight ie the engine and rider centered right over the same space. Then you tuck the skis underneath this and you create a situation that you need maximum effort to create minimum change in direction of the sled IF you can effect change in direction at all without being thrown off the sled or the sled tipping over on you.

When you measure the distance between the steering post and spindle on a Polaris Pro or an M series sled it comes out to between 24 and 26 inches. When you measure the same distance on a Nytro you come out at 19 inches. What Skinz has done with their front end kit is lengthen that distance by 4 and a half inches thereby stretching out the front end. This creates a better geometry front to back. Then the sled will not dart and dive all over the place. It will not throw you off on a side hill because the center of gravity on the sled has been stretched out.

The first things I would do??? Skip the boost or supercharger......upgrade your rear suspension and track, I went with a K-MOD suspension and Raptor shocks and Camoplast Challenger Extreme Track, Skinz Front Suspension with Fox Evol R shock package and Skinz running boards. I have a bunch of other goodies but that will give you the biggest bang for your buck and should come in at less than $5,000.00.

Jan

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with you trax 2 treads, I've had my 2010 nytro since brand new an other than the darting on a hard pack trail I have had no issues with manuverability. There's a lot of techno babble in your post that could possibly be correct, but I've never heard of any of it previously. Everyone is different, and some people can ride like they mean it. Others not so. Ride your new machine stock. Talk to people on the mountain, see what they say, you'll know soon enough what mods you need to do and the ones you want to do.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I've had my 2008 since brand new and ridden it bone stock for 3 years, in the mountains as well as out at Cypress, before we touched a thing on it like I said. Can it be done absolutely but at the end of the day I was exhausted and it wasn't worth it to me anymore simply I wasn't enjoying riding anymore something had to change. Either some heavy modifications on my sled or a new sled.

I really really like my sled and I am convinced of the long term reliability of the 4 stroke engine so we sunk thousands of dollars into my sled to get it to handle correctly like a mountain machine should.

I am very very happy with the modifications we made to my sled. Would I do it again absolutely!!!!!! Like I said from the start my opinion and everyone else's on the subject varies greatly!!!!

I am a 45 year old woman what we did with my sled makes it dance for me!!! Right now I couldn't be happier I am loving riding again at the end of the day I am not dog tired. I am back to riding my sled not my sled riding me.

Jan

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I knew you wouldn't leave that comment alone Jan!! Lol

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha made some big changing for the 2010 model nytro which I have heard is a heck of alot better than the 08 nytro so im hoping from all that I have read that the 2010 nytro is a machine u can just jump on and ride! I just dont see why when u buy a machine brand new that u have to dump a bunch of money into it cant u just enjoy it for what it is! Im not one of those hardcore riders that everything has to be the best of the best to enjoy it!

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha made some big changing for the 2010 model nytro which I have heard is a heck of alot better than the 08 nytro so im hoping from all that I have read that the 2010 nytro is a machine u can just jump on and ride! I just dont see why when u buy a machine brand new that u have to dump a bunch of money into it cant u just enjoy it for what it is! Im not one of those hardcore riders that everything has to be the best of the best to enjoy it!

Youll enjoy it. Yamaha has such a reliable power train that people don't mind doing a ton o extras to suit their individual wants/needs is all. IMO

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Power is not an issue??? What? It's a 130hp sled weighing 530lbs plus!! I'd say power is defiantly an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chunk

Reaction score
That's a waste of $5000. Mcx 180 kit is $4000 and you'll be a lot happier. Add a 2.5 camo and you'll be all smiles.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Hahahahahaha!!!!! Nope I'm done......with the changes I have done to my sled it weighs no where near 530lbs. I am very very happy with my sled. I will maintain till my dieing breathe that the fundamental issue with this sled is not a lack of power but a handling issue. Come see me on my death bed I'll tell you the same thing! My very first statement was my take on these sleds and everyone else's is totally different!!!

It is ridiculous that you spend what $13,000.00 on a new sled and then have to drop another $5,000.00 into it to make it work like you want but do what you like. Ride it stock for a couple of years and see what you think.

Hmmmmmm.......I think I will change my signature line to......."The fundamental issue with the Nytro's is not the lack of power but the handling!!!!" except that Larry uses this account too!!! and he doesn't ride a Nytro!

Good night Gentlemen!

Jan

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you own or have rode a nytro you shouldn't be giving advise on it it does not feel under powered and its just like any other sled you have to get used to it. I'm not directing this at anyone btw. You will definetly like this sled but the steering is weird at first

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10,000 Yamaha .................. plus $5000 = any new 2013 pro. pro climb, or XM, and possiblly a pair of boots.

Top Bottom