Just a quickie...

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention... I thought I'd post this article from CBC. Its an eloquent reminder of the hazards of all this new "Fun" snow that we are all "dying" to play around in. Be safe guys- I love our sledding community too much to watch the heartbreak that is falling down around us already. It's a calculated risk that we can lessen with education and awareness. Don't be a statistic, and don't give anyone out there ammo to keep commenting on the news sites how stupid sledders are when we die...

A single snowflake is a unique, beautiful crystal. But when millions of flakes are added together on a steep mountainside and gravity has its way, the snow can become a destructive force: an avalanche

An avalanche or snowslide is the rapid movement of snow down a mountainside. Most occur on slopes of 25 to 50 degrees — the same slopes favoured by many skiers, snowboarders and snowmobilers.
The most hazardous type is called a dry slab avalanche. When a weak layer in the snow cover can no longer support new layers of snow above, the crystalline structure collapses, sending the top layers down the slope.
A dry slab avalanche, says Bruce Temper, director of the Forest Service Utah Avalanche Center, is like a dinner plate sliding off a table. The victim is caught in the middle of the slab.
On average, dry slab avalanches travel from about 100 to 130 kilometres per hour — too fast to outrun.
[h=3]Avoidance is key[/h]The result is that, all too often, these snowslides have tragic consequences. Canada has averaged 14 avalanche deaths a year over the past decade, according to the Canadian Avalanche Centre.
The centre has also identified some trends about this country's avalanche victims: They tend to be male backcountry skiers or snowboarders in their 20s, according to data collected by the centre for the years 1984-2003.
The majority of avalanche incidents during those years took place during January, February and March, between the hours of noon and 2 p.m. Almost half of the incidents took place in the interior mountain ranges of British Columbia.
Since avalanches travel so fast, avoidance is key. Skiers, boarders, snowmobilers and hikers should check advisories before heading out.
Although it sounds obvious, the presence of an avalanche is the best sign of more to come.
Adventurers should also learn how to look and listen for signs of collapsing snow and follow safe travel techniques such as climbing one at a time and wearing a beacon.

Weak snow can bring a destructive wallop - Canada - CBC News

Top Bottom