Jump building technique

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, what's everyone's favorite way to build a jump (besides not have to build one). Shovel and pat as you go?

I usually looked for a good landing before I build a jump. Taking off is the easy part, landing on a nice slope and not overshooting to the flats or coming down tail or nose heavy is the harder part IMO. Cut it into an existing feature so that you move as little snow as possible and only trim down or build up the angle a little bit. It takes a while to pack snow and get it to settle, by using an existing feature and just trimming it off, then mother nature has already packed it down for you.

My jumping days are long over, too hard on parts and bodies and these big long tracks are hard to jump well.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shovel lots then pack down and shape, look for somthing with natural flow that doesnt need 4 hrs of dig, we have been known to pack grain shovels up the hill though if it needs to be done. Best is build, hit it once or twice, re pack and let settle then come back to it.

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^ this here... Natural hits are a lot more fun and challenging to find.

but if you need to build something, build it and let it set over night. The snow will take a set so you don't destroy your ramp in the first 3-4 tries.

as for shovels I carry a survival on snow shovel... Closet thing to a grain shovel you can get to a grain shovel and still a piece of Avalanche safety gear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom