Is this becoming to expensive to do?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is too many think they need the best of the best, new sled, enclosed trailer, jacked up truck, carbon fiber helmet etc. when I started sledding I was making 36k a year I had a used truck, open trailer, used sled, Walmart skidoo suit, had just as much fun as today all 100% paid for. Bit of an epidemic in society today everyone living some false life style leveraged to the nuts making decisions on what they buy based on monthly payments vs when I started everything was based on what I could pay for cash.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Problem is too many think they need the best of the best, new sled, enclosed trailer, jacked up truck, carbon fiber helmet etc. when I started sledding I was making 36k a year I had a used truck, open trailer, used sled, Walmart skidoo suit, had just as much fun as today all 100% paid for. Bit of an epidemic in society today everyone living some false life style leveraged to the nuts making decisions on what they buy based on monthly payments vs when I started everything was based on what I could pay for cash.

A lot of truth in the above.............

I like the statement "making decisions on monthly payments" when decisions on toys should be made with cash, IMHO also.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ferniesnow and others have valid points.

I don't sled but camp and ride my sxs all year. Camp 30 plus nights a year. New sxs every 3 years or less.

2 trips a year to hot places I don't like winter.

We probably spend the same as mountain sledding.

Make priorities, adjust costs and enjoy what you love.

Don't end up in an old age home saying I wish I would have Done???

Life is way to short,,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how this might even kinda tie in with the on going thread of trail passes.
During the off season i generally stay in contact with alot of the guys i sled with, 90% of them are BC residents, middle age and financially stable and set. I've know some of them for nearly 20yrs and sledding has always played a huge part of their lives.
But lately, interestingly i have heard through having conversation that the sport is just getting too expensive.
In fact one friend said that he is considering selling.
I remember when this sport was considered a family sport that the whole family could enjoy as a whole, while skiing was for the rich. But i'm wondering if that is still the case. I know families with large income this is not an issue but what about the more average income family. In BC stat Canada says 76,000 is the average, funny cause i know more people that are below 50,000 and working. LOL.

I totally agree that the sport has evolved 1000 folds from years past but is it becoming a sport for the wealthy like many other's? Is the industry pricing it self out of a certain income earner? Is the government/clubs/BCSF putting too many restrictions, fee's and regulation's that at the end of the day comes out of our pocket's?

It would be interesting to see how people feel about the cost of sledding vs maybe other entertainment they participate in. Maybe you use to sled but no more because of the cost or you do sled but don't go to the cool places many do, you just ride near your house to help keep cost down.

My personal experience is my son grew up sledding and now 26yrs old he hasn't sledded for 4 years because its just too expensive and sold every thing. He instead has takin up another sport because its more affordable.
I have not read the the whole thread but without a doubt priorties in one's live need to be set up. If your son has other things to prioritize in his life by all means be mature and make the assessment that he has done. I owned my first home by the time I was 24 and did so by riding used sleds in the prairies. Once that hurdle in life was accomplished I had new toys.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of truth in the above.............

I like the statement "making decisions on monthly payments" when decisions on toys should be made with cash, IMHO also.

I honestly don't think he borrows, from knowing him he pays cash, always had. But i could be wrong.

I don't sled but camp and ride my sxs all year. Camp 30 plus nights a year. New sxs every 3 years or less.

Life is way to short,,,,

Its about priority exactly, i know he has been reading these posts he texted me earlier today saying so. I kinda wish he would just join S&M and post his own thoughts.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

He's been in the sport for atleast 25yrs, is a member of the Black Tusk club in Vancouver and his wife was even at one time the secretary treasurer of the club. He knows this sport very well and its cost, he was very active in the sport.

wadefi

Reaction score
This will be my fifth season of sledding. IMHO, I believe the costs are coming down for me. I buy most of my gear in the off season...found some great deals this summer. When I first started out I had no clue what to look for, where to shop & what to buy. I also buy 'new' sleds but looking at last years as they are priced to move. I love sledding, but have given up on having the latest & greatest as my wallet is not that deep. There is nothing like a bluebird, fresh pow day, but hanging out and bs'ing with other sledders can't be beat. Can't put a price on that.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Life is way to short,,,,

What chicks dig frostbite too...LOL

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't work out how much it cost you per KM. Buddy just sold his 3 year old sled with 1000KM on it for 5G less than he paid and bought a 850. I think if you stopped every KM, took out your wallet and threw away a fiver you would really start to question yourself.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I mentioned the expense of having horses up above......................what about the sport of hunting? That has always been a high dollar price/per pound of meat.

Isn't it a sign of the times that everything is expensive? If one wants to doo it bad enough one finds a way!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mentioned the expense of having horses up above......................what about the sport of hunting? That has always been a high dollar price/per pound of meat.

Isn't it a sign of the times that everything is expensive? If one wants to doo it bad enough one finds a way!
so can fishing, wake-boarding and other things pick your poison and things you enjoy

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Life for me is busy from breakup till freeze up. Summer activity's are great for you who have the time. For me they have to be fit in to a busy schedule. Sledding is no more expensive then an extended winter holiday and way more fun and better for your mental and physical health not withstanding avalanches and crashes. I like drinking beer and eating good food in the sun as much as the next guy but its a long winter if that is your plan. This is my 3rd year going to Revy and I can't wait for the season to start. It's shocking to me how fast winter goes when your sledding. I regret not starting when I was younger. As far as cost per km don't forget to add in the free mileage you get Bull Sh!tting with your friends before an after you ride.

hymanykd

Reaction score
I think this would be a non issue outside of the present state of western Canada's economy....

I dont think so... You can get decent 2008 or 2009 sled for $4k. Join a club and stay close to home and pack a lunch. Costs $75 a ride in gas to and from and for the sled. A little maintainance yourself every year and don't beat your sled. That's what I do. Save my pennies and go up to the mountains a couple times of year. I keep it as s a family event. Skiing is still way more$$$

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i was talking to him again yesterday and told him about this thread. He's not a forum type of guy but he said he would check it out.
But all and all its about the lost of saving's when he's getting closer to retirement(has retirement in mind). He has been advised that to maintain financial stability he need's to cut expenses and save for the next 10 or so working years.(he wasn't told to stop living but snowmobiling is a huge expendable cash eater) Or his retirement plan's might not pan out.
He's now in a position of replacing his aging sled, that is his biggest issue he told me. His financial adviser is saying not a good idea if your trying to hit a certain financial goal i suspect.

There are some really nice Polaris Pros, Cat M8000s, and Doo XMs to choose from on the used market with very modest pricing. Huge savings vs buying new gear.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks sledding is expensive should buy a surf boat. One of them will put you in the poor house right quick. Sledding is nickels in comparison. Anyone want to buy a boat, lol.

Exactly! Just do what I do when my wife questions sledding expenditures........threaten to get a jetboat. haha

A bunch of my family members race jet boats and talk about crazy expensive. Makes sledding look like a ping pong obession in comparison.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is definitely more expensive for me now then even 4 years ago,1 being ferry cost it's now 180 dollars ruffly just to get off the island,most of my riding buddy's gave it up so now it's hard to find guys that want to go to the interior or even whistler so 4 guys in the truck down to 2,cost goes up alot.As far as riding local I've ridden these areas for many years and now with less people leaving to ride they get beat to sh#t and very ruff just getting into them.I gave up stock car racing to pursue mountain sledding more serious 12 years ago but I'm thinking of goin back,one because it's less travel for excitement and my family can be more involved,i can buy her a mini stock and me a competitive stock car for well under 10 grand,still get the beer and buddies time tinkering through the week,for me it's not about the money but I want the most fun for the money I spend. I will keep my old 97 summit to bomb around on if we get snow around the house.S till on the fence,i told myself I have to December to decide to sell sled or not.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Im surprised that this thread is coming from someone that lives near sledding areas though. Being from Alberta and then moving to BC Ive seen both sides of it. Im my experience the real expense is making the trips out from Alberta. Hotels, fuel, meals, etc that have all been mentioned. A person can find ways to manage these costs. Its a fine line though because to me it wasnt just about the sledding, it was a little holiday. So if Im hunched in the corner of a trailer eating a cold 2 day old tuna sandwich, getting ready to crawl into a sleeping bag stinking from a hard day of sledding.......Im sorry but that doesnt sound like any fun. Beers in the hot tub and a nice supper are all part of the fun.

Now I live 20 minutes from the riding areas and really dont find it expensive at all. Even to buy a new sled every year or two, the depreciation is really comparable to or less than any other hobby. And like teamdirt said, these new sleds are getting so darned cheap to operate now its crazy. One thing that does help is shopping around when buying sleds. Even buying new ones I have found there is a TON of variance in pricing. Some vendors on here dont want you to hear that. And like some have mentioned, buying used can be a great way to save some money.
Exactly

I used to work after hours when I lived in Alberta to come out once a month to ride here

Moved here and can drive 35 min at farthest and ride every day on weekends

Now I don't work at all after hours, and enjoy live rather than work

sent while drinking tea's

Top Bottom