Is this becoming to expensive to do?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oler makes some good points. A guy could eat at Mickey D's instead of Zala's. Early morning the first day and 1 sleepover instead of 2. More shorter trips. For me though its tough to run old iron or cheap gear. Don't miss the old days of taking my gear to a drying room so I can wear it the next day. This new stuff you just hang it up and its good to go the next morning.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own sleds for two seasons. Snow and River. To be honest the work it takes to run into the mountains for a 3-5 day trip 2-3 times a year is getting more n more problematic. For me I have to plan these trips so far in advance it is like russian roulette with the snow conditions and lately I've taken too many bullets to the head. At least with the boat I live on the river. Still love the sport but it has come up in conversations about giving up at least the mountain destinations at least until I retire and rent something for the season and stay in the area. At least I get my snow days. The popularity is there, explains the inflating costs of machines and gear.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're making 60-70 and you want to sled. It's pretty much all the fun you're going to be able to afford. I was young, single, and splitting cheap rent with 2 other people when I first started out. I had 0 cash for anything else besides this and riding quads in the summer. But the cost is the same. you can still find new sleds for 12-13000. Same as 10 years ago. Used are probably cheaper now. The chalet continental In valemount has been $85-90 a night for forever. fuel is the same, maintenance, insurance. really nothing I can think of is significantly more than 10 Years ago. or what am I missing? If someone says trail passes ($10 more now) then yes. Sledding is too expensive for you.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sheer amount of money is the single Biggest reason I don't sled. If you count money/mile especially in the mountains. I run ATV's 11 months out of the year and can buy 2 for the price of a mountain sled. Plus at 11 years and 8,000kms I figure mine are about 1/2 worn out. I can go camping for a weekend with a couple hundred km's of trail riding, "all in" for about $200, not including beer. That's pretty easy math for me.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was the time cost that got me out of the hills and sledding around home more. I spend enough time on the road I don't need to be bailing on the family to head west for a couple days of sledding. I got my old Mach Z to putt on the river with and my son just moved to an old formula 500 last year, can't wait for it to freeze up and snow.

It would sure be easy to get back into it though, some real good iron to be had for a bargain IMO.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sport has definitely gotten more expensive for those that want the latest and greatest of everything.
I think a lot of this has to do with the desire to go farther back than before to find the less ridden areas.
We have been riding the same areas for 40 years but it sure is easier to get there now than back then.
Most of our group ride the same sled for years before replacing it, usually with one a couple years old. That is the only way we can afford to keep going.

And buy marked fuel by the barrel......and don't insure our sleds.......and don't really travel any more........and only ride on the good days......and do all our own repairs.

I've been at this since 1968. YES, it's getting too expensive.
I did just buy a 1969 Massey though. Probably paid what they cost in 1969! :yahoo:

Hang on to your sleds for 47 years, you might get your money back.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try to mitigate some of the cost by buying non-current new iron and run it for 5+ years, would I have a new sled if it wasn't priced so good in May when I bought a new ride, probably not. I would have rode my old sled another year without worry. Having to have the "new" best sled every couple of years is really costly, the depreciation is insane. Gear costs are crazy for new riders, its easy to tie up 3grand. To get new blood into the sport is tough and I suspect it will die off somewhat in the future unless there is some cost reduction.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only started again a few years ago (rode in the mid to late 90's) on an old s chassis mod sled bought a brand new xm in the spring of when they were blowing then out as it didn't make sense to buy used at that point but I have even seen the costs rising in the last few seasons we now quite often drive from red deer to revy leave early and ride the same day stay a couple nights ride the last day and drive home just to try and keep the costs down

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What isn't expensive? Dinner and movies with wife and one kid $200 camping for a weekend $200 per day and that's with trailer lot paid for kids hockey, skiing ect... Nothing is cheap it's all relative sledding has never been a cheap hobby but it's not anymore expensive then boating or mx ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup 100 %, skiing, the list goes on

Boating, even to just go for a dip in the lake is expensive

sent while drinking tea's

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So from reading all these post i see that many are having similar thoughts about it. That he has a very legitimate feeling about the sport getting too expensive.
I also agree that it has become a sport that requires a certain amount of $$$ to pursue.
I was trying to compare it with a few other motorized items i have and cost wise sledding is the more expensive hobby and even in a round about way more so then my jetboat. As my boat is basically a once in a life time purchase for what i do...fishing. While most sled's may require replacement after 5 or so seasons, most boats don't and in fact if takin care of will go many many years. Though boat fuel consumption is higher at the end of a day, breakdowns are uncommon in comparison and there is no fee's for usage. I can go out on the river or lake or on the ocean with no pass required. In some cases there might be a launch fee. The only real cost is the fuel and that really depends on how i use it.
I guess similarly as some have already suggested, riding older or not the latest and staying closer to home is one way to keep the cost down.
This is what he basically told me yesterday, no new sled for him and he's going to stay local with possibly one interior trip in March. But if someone offer's him what he wants for his sled...(its for sell) he will let it go and most likely will not reinvest into the sport, as too much money is being lost.
Surprising after nearly 25yrs of sledding for him.

Last edited:

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that this is something a lot of people take for granted. I have grown up sledding right from when I was a little kid, started on a 20 year old sled (1981 Jag 440) and have moved up from there. Use to always be lake riding at the cabin and now that I'm older, the last 5 or so years has been almost 100 % mountain riding. It almost seems to be un heard of to see a sled on the hill that's more than 5 years old. I admit that at some points now, it is very expensive and I'm fortunate enough to afford it. But I know that if my riding group made 700 dollar trips like a lot of others, I wouldn't be able to ride as much as I do. We try our best to make sure our trailer and truck is always full, pack food from home and stay at the cheap hotels. With this we normally are able to keep weekend trips between 250-350 dollars. Sledding is something I lived when I was little and I would like nothing more than to be able to eventually raise children with this sport, but I can see how that is going to be a challenge with the cost of sleds, fuel, and equipment now a days.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The short answer to the question for me, No.

Sledding is a passion for me. I don't smoke, I rarely drink, don't eat out, don't go to movies, I don't travel abroad or take many trips other than sledding trips. All of those things are not important to me.

Other people I know spend thousands of dollars on other various activities some like I mentioned and complain they never have any extra cash. I accept that what I do comes at a cost and I only have one life and I am going to enjoy it doing what I love doing more than anything.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I have always found a rental for the season in various towns. Spar wood for a few years back In early 2000-04. Had a house in elkford for a season and finally bought my own property in the shuswaps and have spent the last 5 years really building it into a sled den. Every year I order a new sled and ride it 2 seasons. This year my wife gets the new one. I used to ride them till they were done but I figured out the cost of keeping them on the go was more than replacing every 2 seasons. There was nothing worse than driving 10hrs and breaking down in the first day. That was where the money was wasted. Our kids are now 7 and 4. My 7 year old is on a 250 bravo and my 4 year old is on his old 120 Polaris. This will be their last season on those machines. My boy will be getting something capable of coming up the mountain and my girl will be inheriting the bravo. We are keeping this a family sport. It's nice having the cabin as now I am not hauling sleds around and we can take the wife's little SUV so fuel is cheap. The new machines are so good on fuel and oil that cost is way down also. If We didn't sled I would probably be a millionaire by now but hey being broke and living an incredible family life is worth everything to us. Wouldn't change anything. Hopefully the wife will let me try her new 850 165. Looks to be an incredible machine. Happy trails everyone!!

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is without a doubt a very expensive sport. There are ways to help keep the costs down though. I have a pretty good mechanical aptitude, so I work and service my own machines. The only time my sled sees a dealer is when it needs warranty work. The last couple seasons I have tried to pack a lunch from home instead of buying a crappy $20 7-11 lunch. This past season I bought my sled mid season and took advantage of good rebates and financing. The last couple seasons i have done more riding close to home when the snow is good. Another great way to keep costs down is to look on kijiji for deals on gear and sled parts.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Im surprised that this thread is coming from someone that lives near sledding areas though. Being from Alberta and then moving to BC Ive seen both sides of it. Im my experience the real expense is making the trips out from Alberta. Hotels, fuel, meals, etc that have all been mentioned. A person can find ways to manage these costs. Its a fine line though because to me it wasnt just about the sledding, it was a little holiday. So if Im hunched in the corner of a trailer eating a cold 2 day old tuna sandwich, getting ready to crawl into a sleeping bag stinking from a hard day of sledding.......Im sorry but that doesnt sound like any fun. Beers in the hot tub and a nice supper are all part of the fun.

Now I live 20 minutes from the riding areas and really dont find it expensive at all. Even to buy a new sled every year or two, the depreciation is really comparable to or less than any other hobby. And like teamdirt said, these new sleds are getting so darned cheap to operate now its crazy. One thing that does help is shopping around when buying sleds. Even buying new ones I have found there is a TON of variance in pricing. Some vendors on here dont want you to hear that. And like some have mentioned, buying used can be a great way to save some money.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i was talking to him again yesterday and told him about this thread. He's not a forum type of guy but he said he would check it out.
But all and all its about the lost of saving's when he's getting closer to retirement(has retirement in mind). He has been advised that to maintain financial stability he need's to cut expenses and save for the next 10 or so working years.(he wasn't told to stop living but snowmobiling is a huge expendable cash eater) Or his retirement plan's might not pan out.
He's now in a position of replacing his aging sled, that is his biggest issue he told me. His financial adviser is saying not a good idea if your trying to hit a certain financial goal i suspect.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So he can quit what he loves doing and brings enjoyment to him. Or keep doing it and live a little incase he never makes it to retirement. Don't have to live like tomorrow is last day but gotta have some fun too.

I know I'm not giving it up. It's my passion and the 1 thing I really look forward to each yr regardless of cost. There are ways to save a bit without being complete tightwad. Muff pot meals are prime example

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Expensive? I suppose. Try horses for a change.........

I have been blessed (not that I'm overly religious) because the most of our years have been in places where you ride from the door/yard. I am lazy now and truck 10 minutes to the nearest staging area. We travel a fair bit but that, as mentioned by deaner, is like a little holiday. One has to set it up like the CPR..................not the railway but rather and anachronism for Choices, Priorities, and Responsibilities. If you love the sport (we used to ski and snowmobile and that was a panic so we picked the most favourite one), you do what you want to do and throughout the year you get organized and on budget.

Like team dirt has mentioned, a new sled every year can be budgeted for and turned over to the better half or vice versa. The dependability of the new iron is great and since the 2010 XP (I did have a few issues with the 2008), they have all been basically gas/oil and push the button and go. We ride two basically new sleds and sell one every year. Works out good for us and we do not incur financing charges. A little bit of a hit this year on the selling due to the economy but that will past and we will still ride. We also pretty much know that we can ride throughout the year without mechanical breakdown and the hassle of major repairs.

I have thought for years that the people who buy toys and let them sit are missing out on life. You gotta get out there to get the monies worth. How many RV's are used for 10 days a year and sit in storage or in the yard for the rest of the time, ATV's that don't get a lot of miles, boats that sit trapped for a lot of the summer, soccer vans with the fancy roof carrier that never sees a pair of skis, and so it go. There are cheaper ways to do things and those have to be explored.

Trail passes and or membership? Figure it out. Ride the real back-country or "suck it up princess" as that is the price we pay.............but don't go sneaking through the managed staging areas without paying your dues.

Top Bottom