Interesting article on Supertrax recently......

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing how good the viper handles but haven't ridden one. I have however spent a fair bit of time on the 1100t and it's one of the worst handling machines I've ridden in low snow conditions. I can't see how changing just the motor can make that big a difference?
Not sure what year you rode but the newer ones have a narrower front end a bit different geometry that helps the handling. Skis are still to narrow though.
Also the Yamaha motor sits a little differently in the chassis and seems to improve the handling I'm told by a couple guys I know which haven one of each-both 15's.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own both - a N/A 2 stroke 800 and a boosted 4 stroke - both are 2013's with 162" tracks. At 6'2" and 225 lbs, I ride the 4 stroke way more then the 2 stroke, as it puts a much bigger smile on my face. Setup is key, and suspension adjustments and ski choice is critical on the 4 stroke. I will also add that the two have to be ridden differently, too. With the 4S you have you ride further ahead of the sled, meaning that the power delivery isn't instantaneous, so to loft the front end at will requires a bit of planning. I actually get stuck less on the 4 stroke as I've learned to effectively manage its power delivery...
Btw, both are 2013 Cat Sno Pro Ltd's, and both are modified - the 800 has a Linderman 925 and Exit suspension, the 4 stroke has EVO boost and Kmod rear skid. Only 70 lbs difference between them when wet, but a significant difference in power and torque.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But how much is a 180 hp viper Josh?? All said and done up 20000??

A guy could do a low boost non intercooler or even big bore etech for that and have a more all around sled with just as much pop and less weight

Now I haven't road a viper I'll give ya that, but it's not that much lighter than a Nitro or a.c t1100 and they are tanks stock

My father bought a 162 limited viper last march with the 180mpi kit for $15500. It is nice to ride with that kind of power and the stock suspension makes it very light feeling. Its not a chute climber for sure, you would need a coupled suspension at least. They're alot better than they where 10yrs ago.

In my opinion between the sleds from 1996-2006 we gained horsepower, rider forward design, track lengths up to 166, no trailing arms, fuel injection, electronic reverse, and weight savings. From 2006 we've got weight savings and one size longer tracks.

I want a turbine in a snow bike! 300hp and 300lbs!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what year you rode but the newer ones have a narrower front end a bit different geometry that helps the handling. Skis are still to narrow though.
Also the Yamaha motor sits a little differently in the chassis and seems to improve the handling I'm told by a couple guys I know which haven one of each-both 15's.
Ridden a 12 a bit but mostly a 13 with all updates.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My father bought a 162 limited viper last march with the 180mpi kit for $15500. It is nice to ride with that kind of power and the stock suspension makes it very light feeling. Its not a chute climber for sure, you would need a coupled suspension at least. They're alot better than they where 10yrs ago.

In my opinion between the sleds from 1996-2006 we gained horsepower, rider forward design, track lengths up to 166, no trailing arms, fuel injection, electronic reverse, and weight savings. From 2006 we've got weight savings and one size longer tracks.

I want a turbine in a snow bike! 300hp and 300lbs!
That would be fun forsure

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 4 stroke moto bikes only took over because the AMA created rules holding the smokers to 125 and 250cc in the 250 and 450 classes respectively. The majority of offroad (ie hare scramble, rocks & logs etc) racers are still on smokers because the 300's are allowed. The freestyle guys are basically all still on smokers as well.

And that right there is the truth!

Top Bottom