Installing turn buckels on marathon deck

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked this deck up and was normally bolted in. I don't wanna drill holes in my box as deck comes off and on frequently. last deck I had there were holes for turn buckels however this one doesn't have them. Do I drill my own and if so where. I don't want to compromise strength of deck. Any help is appreciated thanks

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There isn't any factory tie downs in the corners?....what truck

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There isn't any factory tie downs in the corners?....what truck

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

He's talking about on the deck. Older Marathons only bolt in.

I had the same issue, but couldn't find anywhere decent enough to install some turnbuckles. I ended up just leaving mine bolted in.

Sent from my iPhone

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On mine I wrapped a length of chain around the frame of the deck and hooked the turnbuckle to that.
Haven't put the deck on yet so can't show picture but you get the idea anyway.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled deck has holes in each leg for turn buckles,they are on the rear of each leg on the outer edge closer to the top,id drill holes in yours and add a chain or hook and just use turnbuckle,can check on internet for pics on deck install,i printed the pics a few years ago and packed with me in truck for incase i had problems with dots saying turn buckles was not suffecient

Mtdgt

Reaction score
If your deck has double square tubing underneathe on both sides, there are six sliders with 3- bolts each and a cap that is used to secure the deck to the underside of the inside your truck box. No need to drill or turnbuckle, maybe yours is different?

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a note of caution, those factory ears do bust off when using those with the turnbuckles. Almost lost my deck out of my truck loading a heavy turbo sled when the ear broke off my chevy. Found out they are not rated for that much weight. Had to drill holes through cross members of box and installed eye bolts to attach the turn buckles, way more secure now and won't break those bad boys off. Still easy to come out as I still use the turnbuckles.......Hopefully yours hold up better then mine did.

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
Don't do it. We used to make our decks so that they were secured by bolting them down, through the box with a large washer plate, as it's the only safe way to mount a deck. The factory tie down points are not rated and will pull out. I used to work at Marathon for many years.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how many of these broken ears were on short boxes and how many on long boxes. I have a hard time believing they will come out easily on a 8' deck in a 8' box vs a 8' deck in a short box. Lots of leverage put on them in a short box but shouldn't be nearly as much on the long box if you think about it

Top Bottom