Importing turbo apex

gitrdone

Reaction score
I am looking into importing a turbo apex into Canada from the US. has anyone done this before? I have imported other sleds but they were not modified. It still has the stock tunnel on the sled. Thanks in advance

gitrdone

Reaction score
I think its a little more than what my budget is right now. So where are you located? do you tune up turbo's here in s'toon? if so I would love to have your number cause a few of my buddies and me all are new to this turbo stuff.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i do turbos. this Tapex i am selling for 12 grand. and its dialed in already, and 350 hp.

306-716-4171

Tachycardia Performance LTD.

I live 8 miles south of saskatoon on hwy 11, circle H road.

gitrdone

Reaction score
wow you live like 2 miles from my brother. I will be in contact with you sometime this season lol.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen that sled and it pulls very well. Nice build, fit and finish.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has an 06 apex with a alpine front mount. Runs good. 9g its in kelowna bc

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have imported before you will likely know that most border guys don't even come out and look at them. As long as the serial number is still on the tunnel and you can read the manufactured on date - shouldn't be a problem. If in doubt call the border and find out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen that sled and it pulls very well. Nice build, fit and finish.
X2.....I've squeezed the loud handle on that sled a few times, and watched tabneil pull some nasty lines....awesome build.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking into importing a turbo apex into Canada from the US. has anyone done this before? I have imported other sleds but they were not modified. It still has the stock tunnel on the sled. Thanks in advance

Same as any of your other imports then, as long as it has the stock tunnel and serial # along with that black and white sticker of a globe with a sled in it(which means it is approved for legal operations outside of US) you will have no problems, if they come out to look. Otherwise any other issues you will be notified when you send your paperwork in for processing.
If sled does not have sticker, you can send the serial # to the manufacture, and receive a letter stating it is okay for export.
No reason to tell them it's a turbo, unless they ask, and still shouldn't matter.
They are getting stickier at the border lately. The days of having the US owner of the sled delivering it to you in Canada, and returning home with the cash are pretty much through. They now can and will charge you GST on your sled when you cross, and refund it to you when the sled crosses back into the US. They sometimes take issue with the price of the sled, even with the bill of sale. A steal of a deal will some times require some patient argueing when the gestapo decides that there is no way you purchased that for that price. On your own on that one, stand your ground, and they will eventually rellent and let you through. But if you have imported sleds already "I am preaching to the chior".

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They sometimes take issue with the price of the sled, even with the bill of sale. A steal of a deal will some times require some patient argueing when the gestapo decides that there is no way you purchased that for that price. On your own on that one, stand your ground, and they will eventually rellent and let you through. But if you have imported sleds already "I am preaching to the chior".

The border crossing you choose makes a huge difference - from experience going through SUMAS/ABBOTSFORD - Do not even consider this one - by far the worst. Last Nytro I brought through there I got the whole good cop/bad cop routine, had to empty out my pockets, had my truck tossed and had them keep saying I paid more for the sled than I did. I am brutally honest with declaring actual purchase price and it is still a hassle. I have imported several through there and never again!

gitrdone

Reaction score
Thanks alot everyone for all your help. I think I have all my ducks in a row to do this although i don't know where that globe sticker is located on the sled. Other than that I am ready to hit the road. I usually cross at Coutts/Sweetgrass in Alberta/Montana. I try to avoid Portal Crossing in Saskatchewan because I have had the same thing there with them not believing the price I paid.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coutts is where I had certifacation issue, brought rookie out to show how to do inspection. Sled spent week in brokers yard until I received letter from manufacture. If you have serial # maybe email to manufacture asking for letter stating it meets standards. Overkill maybe, just sayin!

gitrdone

Reaction score
So did you get that letter from RIV or from the manufacture. I'm gonna do that as well.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Manufacturer, tried to find it to find the info I had to request, but got put away somewhere secret.

gitrdone

Reaction score
Well I got the sled across the border with absolutely no problems. In fact they didn't even charge me the duty on it, only the gst and thats it. Of course I will have the RIV fee but it all went well.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I got the sled across the border with absolutely no problems. In fact they didn't even charge me the duty on it, only the gst and thats it. Of course I will have the RIV fee but it all went well.

They don't charge duty on sleds. I had an hour arguement with a border guard once on that very subject. Finally when he went to the riv site he confirmed that 'we don't charge duty on snowmobiles'!! He had been asking for it for the previous hour because it was built in Japan - sleds are exempt from duty.

gitrdone

Reaction score
well thats good to know. I was expecting to pay it because it was built in Japan like you say. I know they soaked my brother on the duty but he was expecting it. Thats good you put them in their place because they like to intimidate you when you arrive there.

Top Bottom