I'm stummped

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never seen this before......Got the bottom end of my polaris 800 done by "Indy Dan", and couldn't be happier. Everything has been working fine.

The problem.......

I was aware that It would be using more oil, as we talked about how he would be opening the galleries up to allow for more oil on the new bigger bearings, and I have definately noticed the differance in oil consumption.

The last 2 times I have ridden, The oil consumption has doubled, or seems to have. 2weekends ago, short ride, 1/2 tank fuel (5.5 gal)...used a litre of oil in 43 miles.
Today, other half of the tank....another litre of oil.

That's near 25:1 according to my math. Now I have had pumps quit working, but have never had them over oil to this extreame.
I did set it up a bit for the first 250 - 300 miles I put on this year for bottom end break in, as per Dan's instructions, then re-set it according to my shop manual....it doesn't look to have moved out of calibration, it is just putting out way to much oil.

Any ideas ?????????

Taylzee

Reaction score
That does seem a little much. The last one I did was around 35-38:1. You might need to tweek the cable. Oil may be expensive but if it running good and you are havin good times poor it to it! Love that smell!

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know about the lines on the oil pump and lever, stock they should be aligned. Your going to have to offset those alignment marks to compensate for oil usage. Might take a few rides to get it set to how much oil you think it should be using. Good luck and have fun.:beer:

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done 7 to 10 800 polaris motors big bearing jobs set oil pump to stock setting premix first tank of fuel and no failures
cable sticking , marks line up when the throttle closed

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a guy i ride with had the same problem,the dealer changed the pump under warranty and said some pumps have this problem.he went to cycle works if you want to give them a call

mt.sledder

Reaction score
I had the same problem with an 02 800 the oil pump cam had a spot worn in it and it used a ton of oil. Adjustment did nothing. Dealer in regina sask got a new oil pump for me on warranty in about 2005.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all honesty I really wouldn't be worried about it. More oil on them bearings the better trust me Ive been through my fair share of cranks. I burn damn near half a tank of oil everytime I go out. As long as your machine is running good I wouldn't touch it. This is a good thing keep er full! Long live the cranks in every old 800 out their!

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 98 700 ADJUSTED CABLE FOR THE MARKS TO LINE UP AND DID SOME MILES AND SHITZ NO OIL WAS USED. GOOD THING I HAD PREMIX TOO. TURNED UP PUMP A BIT IT NOW USES 1 LITRE FOR EVERY 45 MILES BUT RUNS GOOD . WILL TRU A NEW PUMP FOR NEXT YEAR .:d

Top Bottom