If you could talk to the engineers...

c5dude

Reaction score
I am new this year to my 2008 xp 800r and after reading this I almost wish I stuck with Yamaha's. Are there people out there that ride these sleds and like them with very limited problems? Or are they just a problem sled? I am coming off a 08 Nytro that could maybe on a good day brake 100mph only reason for selling.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am new this year to my 2008 xp 800r and after reading this I almost wish I stuck with Yamaha's. Are there people out there that ride these sleds and like them with very limited problems? Or are they just a problem sled? I am coming off a 08 Nytro that could maybe on a good day brake 100mph only reason for selling.

they are good sleds but any 2 stroke is going to have more issues than a 4 stroke. but the fun factor is much greater

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled is lighter than a Doo and stronger. Ive bounced of a rock one and just bent a trailing arm. Bent it back and kept riding. Its possible to make something lighter and stronger.

Yeah, if you have lots of cash falling out of your pockets.....

Stantheman

Reaction score
2012 Summit X, whats with hand and thumb warmers on 1 friggin switch? Seriously this is just going back to when a machine with handwarmers was the deluxe model. I'm constantly turning my warmers from low to off the whole way out the trail at the end of the day. My hands just start to get warm when my thumb starts to burn, turn them off to cool my thumb and then my hand freezes! 15G's and couldnt give me a second 50 cent toggle switch?

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 Summit X, whats with hand and thumb warmers on 1 friggin switch? Seriously this is just going back to when a machine with handwarmers was the deluxe model. I'm constantly turning my warmers from low to off the whole way out the trail at the end of the day. My hands just start to get warm when my thumb starts to burn, turn them off to cool my thumb and then my hand freezes! 15G's and couldnt give me a second 50 cent toggle switch?

There is a convaluted feeling at BRP marketing that the mountain rider is a free spirit and wants to have the same handlebar configuration as the snocross sled. Anybody out there agree with BRP or am I the only one that doesn't?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
meh. there handwarmers. just ride the sled. the low position works well alll day for me. not sure how your burning your thumb. i prefer the less cluttered bars. maybe 2 toggle switches would work.. not hard to do on your own.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in my two bits for Yamaha. Ditch that ridiculous mechanical parking break, just have a lever lock like everyone else. The guy that though up the dry sump oil tank must of never thought the machine would be upside down. Really great when you roll the sled and you lose a liter of oil because your too tired to roll this heavy pig over any faster. The list could go on and on, I guess I need to brush up on my japanese.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in my two bits for Yamaha. Ditch that ridiculous mechanical parking break, just have a lever lock like everyone else. The guy that though up the dry sump oil tank must of never thought the machine would be upside down. Really great when you roll the sled and you lose a liter of oil because your too tired to roll this heavy pig over any faster. The list could go on and on, I guess I need to brush up on my japanese.
The mechanical park brake actually makes sense to me...it's independent of the hydraulic system so if one fails you still have the other, and having a hydraulic lever locked on for a long period can cause brake lines to swell and seals to wear out prematurely. Totally agree on the oil tank...it might be fine on a flatlander sled which never lifts a ski but that design has no place on a mountain sled. I see they are selling the roll over valve teather switch as a factory accessory now but it really should be standard equipment.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread is great, the Doo boys are whining about how hard their sleds are to work on, but if any one riding another brand has a negative comment about them they get all defensive. My 2011 RMK is very easy to work on, seems to be well engineered, they are very popular for a reason. My only complaint is the tight toe holds on the running boards, (on both the IQ and Pro chassis) what were they thinking? these things are dangerous.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I've got no love for BRP...after working on their ATVs I swore I would never own one but the price on that 2011 Ptek I picked up was hard to beat so I figured I would give them a chance. Totally love riding the sled but working on it is another story. I hope they learned a few things after 5 years with the XP and that their next generation will be a little better thought out when it comes to maintenance. If Yamaha could make something in the 450 pound range that would be my sled. No one can argue that they have the best build quality in the buisness.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wonder if the Polaris engineers ever actually worked on their sleds? If they did, they would have been aware of the black hole under the engine. This vortex has an intense gravitational pull that sucks all small nuts, sockets, and bolts under the engine. If you ever pull an Edge or an IQ engine, you could probably have a garage sale with all the parts you will find.

A small access panel would be nice.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to simplicity? Under my hood everything is BAM right there in your face. I can have my motor on the bench in under half an hour.

trhaus

Reaction score
after riding my 2012 m8 proclimb i have realized that a electric feul guage is an giant leap back a$$words, what ever happened to the clear tanks and for that matter the lage tank openings for filling, that was so nice since most people i know still use gerry cans. which on the new sleds like to throw up all over the place.
THANKS AGAIN ENGINEERS WHO ARE U AND WHAT HAVE U DONE WITH COMMON SENSE.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after riding my 2012 m8 proclimb i have realized that a electric feul guage is an giant leap back a$$words, what ever happened to the clear tanks and for that matter the lage tank openings for filling, that was so nice since most people i know still use gerry cans. which on the new sleds like to throw up all over the place.
THANKS AGAIN ENGINEERS WHO ARE U AND WHAT HAVE U DONE WITH COMMON SENSE.

The engineers have been shut down in regards to clear tanks on sleds anymore unless there is a cover (tank bra) installed over it. It has been determined that ultraviolet rays can break down clear plastic over time and it then becomes a safety issue.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
change a oil tank on a XP :realmad:

a pastic front bumber on a Dragon :realmad:

track change on a 05 ZR 900 $180.00 for the socket :realmad:

Yamaha I'll work on it , that will be $200.00 plus parts & labour LOL

Top Bottom