If you could talk to the engineers...

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would ask brp engineers to use their recoils for their everyday necessities like operating their staff toilet.

Ditto on whoever mentioned the bolts for mounting rear suspension. No need for that

Before a Polaris engineer is allowed to get intimate with his wife, he should be forced to install an iq air box before she falls asleep. They would have anew design within a week

Last edited:

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good points i concur. M series make some room to EASILY get the throttle bodies off! Also i realise it is added weight BUT can we have a real fuel tank .I don,t know of anybody that doesn,t pack extra fuel anyways !! Rather have it in the tank than on the back of the tunnel. Although i,m sure we would still pack extra fuel LOL! All engineers should be made to do a tear down at -20 and then reassemble the sled !! Shizen would be different then .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can assure you they didnt reduce weight by 50lbs on nuts and bolts. They made the sled weak so when the people bounce of a rock its $8000.

You know LHF this brings into play a very important question. When the consumer demands a lighter , faster, mightier sleigh so they can conquer any mountain the manufacturer listened. What happened next was a flurry of activity from 2 of the remaining manufacturers to build a sled that would compete with the Doo and for the most part they have done that. Not one of these sleds was designed to run into trees and to move rocks that were placed on this earth long before you were your daddy's little squirt. The nun on a Doo folds when it hits something that doesn't want to move thus preventing further damage to the rest of the chassis which in reality is the really expensive part. Quite simply the nun is a crush panel..........kinda like what your head is for your neck.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats absolutely right. i love it when people call a chassis weak because they smoked a tree or a rock...well it wasnt designed for that soo....? learn to ride?

its the day of lighter and faster. so practice not hitting stuff.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats absolutely right. i love it when people call a chassis weak because they smoked a tree or a rock...well it wasnt designed for that soo....? learn to ride?

Kind of like vehicles such as the old crown vics, you could smoke another vehicle and have minimal damage but people demand better fuel mileage and lighter cars and we all know what happens today when you rub a new vehicle against something solid.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's another for the m's... Did anyone ever have to replace the steering post???? I lost my 1000 in a creek last year, broke my handlebars completely in half, two ribs, helmet thru my hood, smashed my headlights out, broke my throttle lever, called my buddies who were on their way to revy to meet me, they stopped to grab a steering post and a few other parts for me, expensive weekend on the wallet that's for sure. But the most painful thing was trying to get at the little nut that requires about 19 universal sockets, and 57385 extensions, and the ability to make that contraption dance to the tune of a flute up in around your track lugs, over the top of your track, and onto the nut that keeps the steering post in.... And to make matters worse I had to do it in the parking lot at glacier house... F¥€K that guy who thought it was a brilliant idea to sneak a nut way up underneath there... Maybe it's like that for every sled or there's a certain way to do it, but still.. F¥€K that guy... lol

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled is lighter than a Doo and stronger. Ive bounced of a rock one and just bent a trailing arm. Bent it back and kept riding. Its possible to make something lighter and stronger.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled is lighter than a Doo and stronger. Ive bounced of a rock one and just bent a trailing arm. Bent it back and kept riding. Its possible to make something lighter and stronger.

your right it is. but a new xp will ride circles around your sled so who wants to spend 35000 just to get spanked? and i doubt your sled is lighter than any of the new sleds. id like to see proof of that because i call bs. ive bounced off endless rocks and trees aswell and nothing bent yet knock on wood. some just hit the right spot i guess. by the way you can fix any damange on an xp for 1000$, case of beer and some good hammers.

again....i could make a sherman tank lighter. but at the end of the day its still a tank, rides like a tank, handles like a tank, etcetc. ( your sled )

who cares if its 10-20lbs lighter but still functions like its 1995!

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cant comment about any sled newer than my 03 VerticalEscape .rode it 2 seasons and changed 1 spark plug.before that was a basket case 98 RMK 700 that was very easy top work on, the 91 indy 500 EFI was best,original plugs lasted over 10,000 miles.and motor was never opened up.
I see my son working on a new style rider forward BRP and Pussy Cat,,what a mess to remove to take off the cylinders..was kinda o thinking of finding a yammi 4 stroke, but ?????? probably just ride the ole XLT.

speaking of ole reliable sleds, heres my 74 Elan ,,,original belt till last yr.still has original spark plugs,,( anyone have a track for it) all frayed on edges.

Attachments

• 1974 Elan 294 SS.jpg
    1974 Elan 294 SS.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

................................................................................................................................................................wut?

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your right it is. but a new xp will ride circles around your sled so who wants to spend 35000 just to get spanked? and i doubt your sled is lighter than any of the new sleds. id like to see proof of that because i call bs. ive bounced off endless rocks and trees aswell and nothing bent yet knock on wood. some just hit the right spot i guess. by the way you can fix any damange on an xp for 1000$, case of beer and some good hammers.again....i could make a sherman tank lighter. but at the end of the day its still a tank, rides like a tank, handles like a tank, etcetc. ( your sled ) who cares if its 10-20lbs lighter but still functions like its 1995!
I still don't understand why you enjoy going up the hill so slow.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
cant comment about any sled newer than my 03 VerticalEscape .rode it 2 seasons and changed 1 spark plug.before that was a basket case 98 RMK 700 that was very easy top work on, the 91 indy 500 EFI was best,original plugs lasted over 10,000 miles.and motor was never opened up.
I see my son working on a new style rider forward BRP and Pussy Cat,,what a mess to remove to take off the cylinders..was kinda o thinking of finding a yammi 4 stroke, but ?????? probably just ride the ole XLT.

speaking of ole reliable sleds, heres my 74 Elan ,,,original belt till last yr.still has original spark plugs,,( anyone have a track for it) all frayed on edges.

Technology has come a LITTLE bit farther than 03... Which was a full 2 chassis changes ago... There is not a need to rip the whole thing apart every two minutes... Everything you need to get at on an xp is easy to get at for the most part... Just becuase you cant pull the whole top half of the sled off by undoing two rubber straps doesnt mean its hard to get to. Also you may feel different once your sled rolls down the hill and the hood opens up!

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll take easy to ride over easy to work on any day. My first ride was on a rev chassis tundra, had a ton of fun and was hooked instantly. Had to ride an s-chassis 440 skandic at work shortly after and couldn't figure out how to ride the damn thing. I'm glad my first ride wasn't on that pile or I might never have rode a sled again. But that doesn't mean they couldn't do a few things to make them easier to work on. Like using some bolts to mount the front bumper on an xp...drilling out the rivets from the inside is basically impossible without removing the pipe, which is also next to impossible given that you need to somehow pull off nine pipe springs to do it most of which can't be reached (also, could we use a pipe clamp instead of springs for once please?). I gave up halfway though and ripped the broken bumper out rivets and all, drilled some holes in the new one and used some button head bolts with nylocks on the inside...stronger AND possible to remove quickly for future maintenance.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M series make some room to EASILY get the throttle bodies off!

Second that! Just changed the reeds on my M1000....might have been easier to just pull the friggin' engine! All that swearing and there was nothing wrong with them anyway! :mad::mad:
While we're at it.....why the hell do I have to pull the pipe off just to check/change the spark plugs? :realmad::realmad:

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres another one for the m series....WTF is with the 2" long coolent hose right in the very front left hand side of the tunnel!!! I did this 2 nights ago to replace a f**kin 1$ clamp i had to tear out my skid/track/DD/caliper/tank/seat You assholes couldnt of used alum like you did on the other side ???? or hell maybe even a access hatch on the top of the tunnel under the fuel tank (even if i had to drill out a few rivits would be ok with that)....NOOOO you have to tear your hole rear skid out and then fight with limited TIGHT space inorder to get the compression clamp plyers on there to do it right.

MTsnowman

Reaction score
Website
www.stovedoctor.biz
If you could talk to the engineers...................

Like most things made - any so-called engineer should be a mechanic first, with actual time spent working on and/or repairing (including basic servicework) BEFORE being allowed to design things. Guaranteed they'd be built different. Kinda like having to service the chaincase on older Polaris machines (not sure on the Pro series) - what a joke, no way to get this done easily. Sure do like the AC set-up!
Just sayin................

Top Bottom