If you could talk to the engineers...

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just as a fun discussion, I figured I would ask: what would you ask the engineers at BRP/Polaris/Cat/Yamaha to fix/change on your sled if you had the chance? I'm not talking about what kind of sled you want them to make, more like what annoying little quirks you would like ironed out. After working on a couple revs at work today, I would pretty much like to strangle the guy at BRP who decided that you need four seperate tools to adjust the control positions, and whoever decided that the use of push nuts would be a good idea to hold plastics on. Also, why the hell are there rivets holding on parts under the hood? I can understand using them under the machine, but c'mon!! It would be nice to be able to do a little routine maintenance without having to break out the drill and get aluminum shavings all over the place every time. That's my rant...what's yours?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as for skidoo....make some real running boards so i dont have to hack mine off to put good ones on. and maybe try actually dissasembeling a new sled off the factory floor. putting it together new is the easy part. and how about throwwing a bolt on the secondary clutch. having that biotch pressed on there isnt doing anyone any favors in the tuning/maintenance department. wire and connectors are cheap. fawking use them and make it so i dont have to get a 2 year old to reach into the most awkward spot possible to dissconnect something. OH and who thought it would be a good idea to make the skid bolts reverse threaded so its impossible to loosen them one at a time? always good spending 6 hours on a 1 hour job. theres a few important bolts/fittings that sometimes need to be accessed. why did you put a crossmember right in front of it so you have to dissasemble the whole sled to take it off?

other than that best sled on the market!

arctic cat m series - did you guys actually ever try changing a-arms after the sled was built? DOH.

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about a reverse drop and roll so you still have lots of track on the ground but keeps the sled short for easier handling.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as for skidoo....make some real running boards so i dont have to hack mine off to put good ones on. and maybe try actually dissasembeling a new sled off the factory floor. putting it together new is the easy part. and how about throwwing a bolt on the secondary clutch. having that biotch pressed on there isnt doing anyone any favors in the tuning/maintenance department. wire and connectors are cheap. fawking use them and make it so i dont have to get a 2 year old to reach into the most awkward spot possible to dissconnect something. OH and who thought it would be a good idea to make the skid bolts reverse threaded so its impossible to loosen them one at a time? always good spending 6 hours on a 1 hour job. theres a few important bolts/fittings that sometimes need to be accessed. why did you put a crossmember right in front of it so you have to dissasemble the whole sled to take it off?

other than that best sled on the market!

arctic cat m series - did you guys actually ever try changing a-arms after the sled was built? DOH.
I can only imagine what issues the other 3 have if these are the best.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing i can think of is figuring out who brilliant idea it was to put a carbon fiber bumper on a machine that will soon enough have a tow strap hooked to it pulling out his buddies broken down cat!!!!

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the a arms parts with an m series. Whoever invented that ingenious idea, is plain retarded. The digital fuel gauge on the new proclimbs are dumb. Filler caps are too small. I hate the fact you have to unbolt the hood to get the damn thing off, sure it's just 4 bolts, but seriously? Couldn't have found a better way to keep it on? Some kind of push clips. Try doing that in minus 40 or somethin here in fort Mac of you need to. Change the color options, get off your arses and make the limiteds in 162's. I'm tearing my proclimb down tonight for powdercoating so I'm sure there's gonna be more stuff I'll run into. Polaris - hate the pro tapers on the pros. Bombis - nothin to say about em. Haven't really worked on any or ridden them any length of timeYamaha - diet diet diet diet

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you doo guys feel about taking the stock suitcase off so that you can check the chaincase chain tension? And then...............have a goofy little allen head bolt to adjust with your fingers.......or.......get an allen wrench and go tight enough? not tight enough? tight enough? not tight enough?

trhaus

Reaction score
m-series, huh where to start just thanks for all the sharp edges located close to the exhaust springs, when u blow a belt that reverse sensor explodes, and the guards are useless. the new proclimbs well thanks for all the storage, my first ride i stored the belt in my back pack. i mean i found the tool kit on the running board and for the life of me i cant find where it is supposed to go.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you doo guys feel about taking the stock suitcase off so that you can check the chaincase chain tension? And then...............have a goofy little allen head bolt to adjust with your fingers.......or.......get an allen wrench and go tight enough? not tight enough? tight enough? not tight enough?

lol ya once the stock suitcase is off its kind of a do i really want to put this thing back on? i always finger tighten the lock the locking nut and call it a day.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one more for brp....why did you decide that every bolt on the skid had to be a different size shape and color? i notice the cat skid and front end are pretty much all 9/16.....would it kill you to have a little more consistancy....

also....pressed on front end parts.....we dont all have presses in our trailers.... again a nut and bolt would suffice...

one more

how come you let us remove 1 million peices to take the motor out of the xp....then at the LAST step...(unpplugging the stator) you decided to put no plug? the last step! the home stretch! the excitement is building and then its game over quitting time ill get back at this tommorow...

thats just a cruel joke!

this is fun

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP must have stocks in the can companies because that is a bigger plus for the adjustment than the weight reduction. Lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one more for brp....why did you decide that every bolt on the skid had to be a different size shape and color? i notice the cat skid and front end are pretty much all 9/16.....would it kill you to have a little more consistancy....

also....pressed on front end parts.....we dont all have presses in our trailers.... again a nut and bolt would suffice...

one more

how come you let us remove 1 million peices to take the motor out of the xp....then at the LAST step...(unpplugging the stator) you decided to put no plug? the last step! the home stretch! the excitement is building and then its game over quitting time ill get back at this tommorow...

thats just a cruel joke!

this is fun

I was told by Denis Roy, lead engineer on the XP project that every nut and bolt was scrutinized to get the 50 lbs reduction for 2008. Kinda like Mountain Magic only without the titanium. Lol.

m7 carver

Reaction score
Ibelieve the front end on the m-series is actually metric because i was doing a-arm bushings on my m7 and i kept rounding the nuts and then i used a 14mm and it fit better. I thought it was all 9/16 to but i found the 14mm worked better. i dont know if the sled is metric or standard ?, the engine is probably different from the rest as its made in japan.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by Denis Roy, lead engineer on the XP project that every nut and bolt was scrutinized to get the 50 lbs reduction for 2008. Kinda like Mountain Magic only without the titanium. Lol.
I can assure you they didnt reduce weight by 50lbs on nuts and bolts. They made the sled weak so when the people bounce of a rock its $8000.

Top Bottom