i want to start jumping my m8....really jumping.

notsoprosledder

Reaction score
so i have a 2008 arctic cat m8 162. yes i know what you are all thinking.

GET A SHORT TRACK

well i want to. its just.....$ issues.

and no selling the sled is not an option.

so i was wondering what it would take for me to set up my sled for some good ol' backcountry jumping.
don't worry i am not taking it off any freestyle jumps. i just want to start jumping higher and longer while out sledding in the mountains and would like to do as little damage to my sled as possible. (without crashing.)

shocks are probably on the list but is there anything else you guys can think of?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get rid of the air shocks if it's a snow pro. I would think that spring type would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notsoprosledder

Reaction score
Its an orginal m8 so it has coil over front shocks and 1 coil over front track shock. the rear track shock is a fox float.

just looking at the body design it looks like i would have to cut holes if i were to put in shocks with piggybacks like the elka shocks.
anyone ever have to do this?

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might want to look into bracing the steering post mount at the bulkhead.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have a mountain bar you will want to ditch it in favor of a bar pad.

notsoprosledder

Reaction score
bracing the post is on the list. wondering if the bdx bushing will be enough.

would like to take everything off my handlebars an replace it with renthals. how are those mx handlebars for mountain handling?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just go....maybe remove any excess weight from the tunnel if you're landing hard...ie: fuel cans

like someone said earlier, its a Cat....built a little tougher.....it'll take a fair amount of abuse

now if you were jumping with a tinfoil tunnel doo.......:violin:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bracing the post is on the list. wondering if the bdx bushing will be enough.

would like to take everything off my handlebars an replace it with renthals. how are those mx handlebars for mountain handling?

I have run renthals before they are ok, i like pro tapers or kermaxx bars better though.

But probably even better off to get sled specific bars. I like the CFR Turccote bars.
They hook at the ends, MX bars don't. I chop a little off the ends to make it how I like it.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stronger bars and pad for sure.other then that just jump.all depends how big you are going I guess.anything over 20 feet in the air I would run beefier suspension.my stock x shocks blew out after a couple big jumps.ran the evol gold series last year they work good for big jumps and drops.

send it!

sled obsessed

Reaction score
i'd be wanting some tips on techniques to build up to bigger better jumps and drops, there are some guys on here that can really huck sleds.

I seen some vids from guys on here jumping but the best might be a guy with the handle "destroyer".

The sled will do it no doubt, question really is can you do it.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just ride the thing.. we huck 163 all year and never have any major issues ... remember use your brake and throttle to keep yourself level and you will be fine

notsoprosledder

Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the replies guys!

In regards to the sled specific handlebars, my current stock bars allready have that 45 degree bend in them. i was looking at straight renthals because i wanted to put on those plastic 90 degree bend ends you see on all the new sleds. they feel nice.

Thats great about hucking 163. i was worried that the slide rails would not be able to take the abuse at that length. been practicing using the brake in the air last winter to even out and i'm getting the feel of it.

This winter will be about trying to get over the terror of jumping high. (Damn self preservation instinct) I definitely want to get better though. at some point i want to get a race sled so i can get into freestyle. Just learning on what ive got will be the goal for now.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the m chassis the remote reservoirs aren't attached to the shocks they have a longer line so you can mount them easier. If you have the adjustable post you probably want to switch out for the fixed post.

notsoprosledder

Reaction score
Got the fixed post. want to add a 3 inch riser however.

What shocks are you talking about there Bnorth? is it a specific company or are all shocks for m series made like that?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just pinner. 163 is no issue for jumping. I've had plenty of "firm" landings and nothing bent

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1445490311864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1445490311864.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 212

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
turcotte jumps his long sleds huge. Ive seen some bent up HCR rails on his instagram, probably should have some ice age bomber rails and extra cross shafts as well.

Top Bottom