I feel like a broken record

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every year I end up trying something new when it comes to my head gear when riding. Full face, open face, a bunch of different goggles, goggles with fans, prescription goggles, ski helmets, and motorcycle helmets with a shield but open at the bottom.

I know it isn't because of the gear it is all good and have good reviews its just my messed up body and the fact it just doesn't regulate heat like it should. Dropping some weight would help a bit but its not like I am huge or anything I think they call it hyperhidrosis or something like that.

I have tried everything I have ever found and I guess the best thing was the ski helmet and goggles. I have yet to ride on a cold day with them though. I have a no fog mask as well but man its annoying to wear. Because I sweat a lot the thing just gets nasty and hot plus a guy wearing an open face ski helmet and a no fog mask looks like a freak!

There are some helmets that you can get the pinlock system with. I am thinking of going back to a full enclosed helmet or maybe one of those hybrid snowcross type just with a visor as well and maybe using some kind of no fog cleaner/wipes. I know the cleaner can freeze on contact and make vision even worse but the idea would be to just use them on my glasses and not the visor. The kicker is I wear glasses and no I can't have the surgery I have looked into it and the prescription goggles didn't work I think because my lenses were so thick it was like I was wearing them anyway.

I dunno I just hate this never ending spending spree I have been on the past few years with little to no success.

zx4ever

Reaction score
have you tried the skidoo bv2s helmet with filters in? it is a great helmet no fogging even at 30 below

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am in a similar boat! Most days I make out just fine. There are normally a couple of powder days that are pitas. Particularly when there is heavy wet snow coming down.

I wear an open face and my glasses only. The glasses break the wind for my eyes and on most days that is all I need. The days that I wear goggles, I remove them as soon as I stop, otherwise my glasses are fog city.

I invested in contacts and they are great. I use "shooting glasses" with different lenses for different snow conditions. When I use goggles with the contacts, I still remove them as soon as I'm stopped.

With my contacts it is a real pain seeing close detail (changing clickers, working the video cam, etc.) so I carry a pair of reading glasses.

I do not wear a balaclava. It is warm enough down here (I don't sled when the temps drop below -20C) that don't need and that seems to be a lot of the problem solved for me.

I had some modulars, visors, various goggles, etc.. and over the years was like you and very pissed off. Now it seems to work much better. Good luck, fs!

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear your pain I am in the same boat when it comes to finding a pair of goggles/helmet combo that does not fog up.

Billy Boy

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the only set up I will ever have for a goggle\helmet set up. It just flat out works.

Klim F4 helmet with the little head liner thing pulled out
Dragon vendetta goggles
Klim belaclava

Never fogs and never gets cold or hot.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just get contacts thats what ive done and last season i finally convinced a buddy (barry barton on here) and there is NO comparison to anything else you can do. I know it seems like a pain in the ass but its really not and you will become a better more confident rider if you can see well all the time i promise you that, just get daily contacts then throw them out when your done it costs less then 150$ a year if your perscription isint special and u dont wear them everyday.

All i run is contacts 509 goggles and a moto helmet and like you i spent hundreds and wasted tons of time trying to find a substitute wish i would of gone contacts sooner

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I know at one time Brandy Floyd used the TLD helmets and really liked them a lot of DH riders use them too. My son uses one when he does DH out at Fernie. They have a ton of ventilation and may help with the ventilation issue. Go to a local bike shop and check them out. They have some really cool colors and designs. I will warn you though they are a bit spendy although you may find some great deals coming up because it is getting to be the end of their season. Jan

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a professional stuckmobiler I sweat alot getting my big sled stuck and unstuck ...

bell helmet and 509 backcountry goggles. I sit the nose shield of the goggles up on the snout of the helmet.
this allows air flow in the goggles and is only a small gap along my cheeks so its only in deep and or light snow that can get in. When I hit the deep snow its just a little push and the goggles seal up against my face. on those warm wet days when everyone is fogged up, I'm the last person to fog up yet I'll be sweating hard.
I tryed that stupid little fan that 509 makes but it does little and it seems everyone takes it out. air flow seems to be the answer, but I don't wear glasses

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every year I end up trying something new when it comes to my head gear when riding. Full face, open face, a bunch of different goggles, goggles with fans, prescription goggles, ski helmets, and motorcycle helmets with a shield but open at the bottom.

I know it isn't because of the gear it is all good and have good reviews its just my messed up body and the fact it just doesn't regulate heat like it should. Dropping some weight would help a bit but its not like I am huge or anything I think they call it hyperhidrosis or something like that.

I have tried everything I have ever found and I guess the best thing was the ski helmet and goggles. I have yet to ride on a cold day with them though. I have a no fog mask as well but man its annoying to wear. Because I sweat a lot the thing just gets nasty and hot plus a guy wearing an open face ski helmet and a no fog mask looks like a freak!

There are some helmets that you can get the pinlock system with. I am thinking of going back to a full enclosed helmet or maybe one of those hybrid snowcross type just with a visor as well and maybe using some kind of no fog cleaner/wipes. I know the cleaner can freeze on contact and make vision even worse but the idea would be to just use them on my glasses and not the visor. The kicker is I wear glasses and no I can't have the surgery I have looked into it and the prescription goggles didn't work I think because my lenses were so thick it was like I was wearing them anyway.

I dunno I just hate this never ending spending spree I have been on the past few years with little to no success.

Ahh the bane of all sledders....foggy goggles......You don't really state it conclusively but sounds like the issue is fogging based on your comments. As someone else indicated, maybe try one of the modular helmets that flip up? I won't say I sweat a ton but I have never ever found goggles that really fit my face (I think I'm currently working on pair 9 or 10 now?..), and therefore I've always struggled with them fogging, icing etc. Generally, unless its raining (and even then sometimes) I pretty much wear my sunglasses all winter, only on days at -20C or colder I will have to strap on the goggles.

Most of the time the sunglasses do just fine for protecting my face that is exposed, I wear a MX style helmet with no breath deflector. If you can find some sunglasses that fit in the framed opening of your helmet you may want to try that, and then maybe just a balaclava to keep the rest of your face warm (maybe you;ve already tried that). You might want to look for a helmet with a lot of venting and keep them open all the time to keep your noggin cool and minimize the sweating. Otherwise I would say get a quick strap and as soon as you stop or are going slow enough to fog up, pull the goggles off and let em hang off the helmet.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm up around 300 lbs and sweat a ton. I take my helmet off every time I stop, especially if its to dig or pull. Usually I don't have to even take out my spare pair of goggles.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I want goggles for the Mountains I choose the Ones with the best flow. To do this you need cold weather and a fast sled. Last year at -25 I did some speed runs and the goggles that made my eyes cold and watery were the ones I took to the mountains. A cheap pair of 509 were the coldest at 80+ mph so they became my main damp and warm day goggles. For regular weather in the alpine oakleys are the best for me. 250 a pair with "precimonze" spelling?? lenses. Air flow through the vents makes a big difference on damp days

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas S&M

I have not tried a modular style or one of those bv2s helmets. I have thought about trying them but they are pricey I thought plus I would think they would be heavy. I do have problems getting hot. Maybe the modular would work.

My big question that I have yet to fully answer on my own is if it would be better to not wear goggles and have the shield instead. The goggles I have tried before are really pretty good. I mean they fog up but its my friggin glasses underneath them that is the problem. I get so hot and when I stop to get unstuck or help a buddy I take everything off then when I put it on I am screwed. Its almost like I am fine until that first stuck then I am done for the day almost.

vision was so bad out of goggles one trip I took them off and just went with glasses and a moto style helmet coming out of the mountains. It got kind of cold and it was torture on my face. My eyes also tend to really water when I ride without something in front. I dunno maybe just a decent balaclava would do. maybe I could get some bigger glasses to block more as well.

I know this makes me sound like a wussy but the contacts I don't think I could do. Even if I see someone else put them in it freaks me out. I dunno maybe I should try and force it. I don't know if the kind of contacts I would need would be cheap though. In my left eye I am at a 9.75 correction. They can't give me 20/20 vision in the left eye now even with glasses.

I have looked at the Klim F4 but haven't tried one, it does look like it vents the most of any of the helmets.

I had the quick straps before but all it seemed to do was collect snow when I took them off its like I forgot they were there.

I might try the downhill bicycle helmet idea though. maybe something they isn't necessarily built for winter.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas S&M

I have not tried a modular style or one of those bv2s helmets. I have thought about trying them but they are pricey I thought plus I would think they would be heavy. I do have problems getting hot. Maybe the modular would work.

My big question that I have yet to fully answer on my own is if it would be better to not wear goggles and have the shield instead. The goggles I have tried before are really pretty good. I mean they fog up but its my friggin glasses underneath them that is the problem. I get so hot and when I stop to get unstuck or help a buddy I take everything off then when I put it on I am screwed. Its almost like I am fine until that first stuck then I am done for the day almost.

vision was so bad out of goggles one trip I took them off and just went with glasses and a moto style helmet coming out of the mountains. It got kind of cold and it was torture on my face. My eyes also tend to really water when I ride without something in front. I dunno maybe just a decent balaclava would do. maybe I could get some bigger glasses to block more as well.

I know this makes me sound like a wussy but the contacts I don't think I could do. Even if I see someone else put them in it freaks me out. I dunno maybe I should try and force it. I don't know if the kind of contacts I would need would be cheap though. In my left eye I am at a 9.75 correction. They can't give me 20/20 vision in the left eye now even with glasses.

I have looked at the Klim F4 but haven't tried one, it does look like it vents the most of any of the helmets.

I had the quick straps before but all it seemed to do was collect snow when I took them off its like I forgot they were there.

I might try the downhill bicycle helmet idea though. maybe something they isn't necessarily built for winter.

If you are looking for a MX style with a face shield, there are more and more options around these days.

Fly Trekker, Icon Variant or AFX FX-39 guys seem to like - read this, seems like some reviews from guys that wear glasses
Fly Trekker Dual Sport Helmet? - Page 5 - ADVrider

Also, Joe Rocket makes one called the True North RKT 2500 that is a similar style to the dual sports out there, might be able to get the best of both worlds.

Otherwise I would say find a cheap street bike helmet with good venting I guess.

hope that helps

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a 509 Carbon Fiber Helmet, the little no fear nose piece (its made of wet suit material, neoprene or whatever its called) and Zeal Goggles. The nose piece seals the breathing but the goggles sit about 1/4" off my face so i get consistent airflow but not too much (i can adjust so they sit tight but i prefer them like this). No snow gets in but i have yet to fog :)

Top Bottom