How to keep a cabin you cannot afford...

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After another near-death experience this year, I decided to build in Valemount now rather that waiting for my mythical retirement. I cannot really afford to keep a second home, so I get the bright idea to build it with a lock-off suite so I can rent it out nightly so some buddies.

Question is, what are people paying for cabin rentals these days? This place will have two bedrooms up and one huge bunk room down, 3 baths, steam showers, etc. The walkout basement is the lock-off and will be done like a hotel suite with a kitchenette and a tv area in the bedroom with two double bunks.

Thoughts? Anyone know of a chambermaid service or rental pool in Valemount? Anyone want to trade skilled labour for guaranteed time in the cabin? Just brainstorming...

trailrider

Reaction score
When are you planning to build? I would be interested in helping out, I have over 25 years exp. in the constrution industry, and just about every tool you could imagine. I have built or remodeled anything from houses to large commercial projects and have a few connections for building materials and I know a few members that might be interested also. I have done everything from from drilling and placing piles to laying carpet; drywalling and framing being my trade. Trailrider

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where are you building? in town or the in country? sounds cool, cheers:beer:

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After another near-death experience this year, I decided to build in Valemount now rather that waiting for my mythical retirement. I cannot really afford to keep a second home, so I get the bright idea to build it with a lock-off suite so I can rent it out nightly so some buddies.

Question is, what are people paying for cabin rentals these days? This place will have two bedrooms up and one huge bunk room down, 3 baths, steam showers, etc. The walkout basement is the lock-off and will be done like a hotel suite with a kitchenette and a tv area in the bedroom with two double bunks.

Thoughts? Anyone know of a chambermaid service or rental pool in Valemount? Anyone want to trade skilled labour for guaranteed time in the cabin? Just brainstorming...

Does this mean you have land? Or are you looking for land I have 2.02 acres for sale in Mountain View Estates.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interested in trading work for rental time eh well, im an experienced finishing carpenter that does finishing ( trim, doors base, shelving), custom millwork, and handrails mainly, but also do general contractring. Have pictures and refrences.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be available to provide 'free' trials of the finished product. I'm thinking that if you provide the food and booze, I would be able to test the comfort and convenience factors with a few buddies I know.
P.S- a hot tub would be nice too:d:d

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be available to provide 'free' trials of the finished product. I'm thinking that if you provide the food and booze, I would be able to test the comfort and convenience factors with a few buddies I know.
P.S- a hot tub would be nice too:d:d
You sound like my friends.....I need new friends. Taz, I'm not looking for land right now, as I am pot committed to this one. I have a lot in town and I am at the electrical stage right now. There are no electricians in town, so it looks like I'm wiring on a homeowner's permit later next week. Probably for the best, as I am pretty much out of cash for a bit. I have been procrastinating over the hoidays and through the cold weather, but I'm getting impatient. I wanted the heat on prior to the holidays, but it didn't happen.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sound like my friends.....I need new friends. Taz, I'm not looking for land right now, as I am pot committed to this one. I have a lot in town and I am at the electrical stage right now. There are no electricians in town, so it looks like I'm wiring on a homeowner's permit later next week. Probably for the best, as I am pretty much out of cash for a bit. I have been procrastinating over the hoidays and through the cold weather, but I'm getting impatient. I wanted the heat on prior to the holidays, but it didn't happen.

Sent you a pm

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what heat source do you have or are going to use....Is the basement plumbing roughedin or not yet. Let use know what stage your at and what still needs to be done.Thanks

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm using an electric boiler and the slab is all plumbed in. I've got a guy doing my boiler system for me and he will do the main floor radiant tubing as well once I get it insulated. (The pex is easier pull once everything is warmed up and there is no sense firing up the boiler until I'm close to insulating).

I've got most of the boxes and pot lights in for the main floor. I will finish up the exterior pots this week. I'm not touching the basement until the main floor is done. I just have to start pulling wire as soon as I can so I can get the insulation in on the main. It's an ICF basement, so as soon as the main is sealed up I can fire up the boiler and get the water on. Unfortunately my F350 crapped out (separate post) which has delayed me some more.

Now that the holidays are over I'll be chipping away at it.

Maxwell, if your talking about Colin, he is too busy. He helped me where he could bringing the service in, but he is already doing another side job.

I wouldn't mind doing it, but my days off are usually mid week, which makes it hard to get help. Add the cold and it has taken the fun out of it. I'm at the point now that I may just chip away slowly through until spring. My fantasy of getting a bathroom and kitchen functioning for this sledding season is just that, a fantasy.

Top Bottom