How is this environmentally friendly

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sitting up here at conklin and I hit the regen button on my westernstar and the truck revs to 1600rpm til the filter is cleaned out.Think of all the fuel I burn during that regen.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yepp that is one of the worst idea's ever thought up on trucks. On the 45 ton Kenworth picker truck I worked on this summer when it was time to do the delete everything would lock up. Not even the picker controls would work. Not very safe when you have an 8,000 pound rig mat up in the air.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of by buddies is a push for Transco,and we were actually talking about this topic
last night.He was stuck on location waiting for the picker opp. to finish with the re-gen
on his truck.In my mind burning more fuel,but burning it "cleaner" is stupid.
Another brilliant Idea to come out of our government.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes they are the biggest pain in the azz out there. i build tandem steer trucks and every one we build has to have the dpf/scr pos moved then a full custom exhaust system built. takes allot of extra time in the build process. as well had to spend a ton of money on the dyno testing our exhaust sytem to ensure it would work right. friggen greenies.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Try telling the guy that signs the tickets, "hold on just gotta do a regen for 30min" probably not gonna fly. Useally get free fuel but this job isn't and the truck is averaging 400l+ a day and the truck doesnt even average 100km a day. With a smaller tank than our older trucks I fill up everydayMagnet how much to pull the emissions off. I heard pricey, 10g+

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of by buddies is a push for Transco,and we were actually talking about this topic
last night.He was stuck on location waiting for the picker opp. to finish with the re-gen
on his truck.In my mind burning more fuel,but burning it "cleaner" is stupid.
Another brilliant Idea to come out of our government.
you have a kick ass shop there that takes all that chit off and re programs the computer. Force x or something they are called? have had 2 buddies take their trucks there so far to delete all that crap. expensive, but zero down time so far....and it's legal to do in Sask. illegal in AB

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try telling the guy that signs the tickets, "hold on just gotta do a regen for 30min" probably not gonna fly. Useally get free fuel but this job isn't and the truck is averaging 400l+ a day and the truck doesnt even average 100km a day. With a smaller tank than our older trucks I fill up everydayMagnet how much to pull the emissions off. I heard pricey, 10g+

PDI conversion pricing (rough estimates) from Arctic Truck Parts

2003-2007 Cummins ISX $11,000-12,500
2008-2010 Cummins ISX $13,000-14,000
2008-2010 Cat Acert $7,500-$8,000
They can also do Detroits

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cannot legally remove the emmissions crap at my shop we are only allowed to relocate in Alberta, and i believe anywhere for that matter if you want to have a compliance sticker on your door. and without that sticker truck is illegal for road use. would be interesting to know how they are getting around it as it is a factory installed emmisions system. on private cars etc when it is removed not to big of deal as they are not getting inspected every year, or going through inspections on a regular basis, so does not get noticed, commercial is a different story though. i may give them a call to check it out.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price to have a guy go in and delete the codes from the computer? $5,000. That's not including the time it takes to have someone pull all that crap out and the down time for your truck. Pretty sure it cost us closer to $15,000 with almost a week of down time for the truck

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
we will stick with the regen system unfortately. we have 4 trucks with it and all still under warranty. these detriots like to ruin turbos and injectors.

sure miss the C15 days :(

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in 05 when i was straight piping my dodge the shops wouldnt remove the cat, said it was 40,000$ fine if caught. i did myself no biggy. These engines are worth 30,000+ $ to void warranty plus pushing for a fine? I hate the system also but to give yourself a 100K headache i dunno!! Wouldnt matter if it was a faulty crank, it would be on your dime.

On another note with the the cat piss i had a shop hand put the last bit of a barrel into a yellow jerry can. I had to get out to a rig in the diesel shortage so i dumped in all the diesel in the shop at midnight!!! The injectors dont like that stuf!!!!! Crystallized throughout the whole fuel system, like sand ran through the injectors!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in 05 when i was straight piping my dodge the shops wouldnt remove the cat, said it was 40,000$ fine if caught. i did myself no biggy. These engines are worth 30,000+ $ to void warranty plus pushing for a fine? I hate the system also but to give yourself a 100K headache i dunno!! Wouldnt matter if it was a faulty crank, it would be on your dime.

On another note with the the cat piss i had a shop hand put the last bit of a barrel into a yellow jerry can. I had to get out to a rig in the diesel shortage so i dumped in all the diesel in the shop at midnight!!! The injectors dont like that stuf!!!!! Crystallized throughout the whole fuel system, like sand ran through the injectors!!
the 2 guys that I know that had it done, have lost more than 2 engines worth due to downtime on each truck. hauling costs, lost jobs, and having to hire trucks to complete their jobs was costing way more than if they would have had to replace an engine. the cat equipped western star was in the shop so many times for warranty Cat finally decided the warranty on the regen system would no longer be honored, yet the motor was still under full warranty. these guys are running trucks that are spending 80% or more of their time off road, and in their situation the risk is worth it. one had his done in the shop in Lloyd, the other did it in his own shop with parts and computer supplied by G Force. they can do it two ways, strip everything completely off the engine and exhaust or just program the computer and unhook some wires so it looks completely stock and functional. as for inspections, how have guys been getting away with running straight pipes for years even though they are required by law to have mufflers? exactly....lots of inspection facilities look the other way.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 2 guys that I know that had it done, have lost more than 2 engines worth due to downtime on each truck. hauling costs, lost jobs, and having to hire trucks to complete their jobs was costing way more than if they would have had to replace an engine. the cat equipped western star was in the shop so many times for warranty Cat finally decided the warranty on the regen system would no longer be honored, yet the motor was still under full warranty. these guys are running trucks that are spending 80% or more of their time off road, and in their situation the risk is worth it. one had his done in the shop in Lloyd, the other did it in his own shop with parts and computer supplied by G Force. they can do it two ways, strip everything completely off the engine and exhaust or just program the computer and unhook some wires so it looks completely stock and functional. as for inspections, how have guys been getting away with running straight pipes for years even though they are required by law to have mufflers? exactly....lots of inspection facilities look the other way.

these must be older engines as well. as as far as i know Cat does not have an epa 2010 engine. they built a of units that were supposed to, on paper anyways, make epa 2010 regs. engines cannot do it so trucks cannot be delivered from factory for on road use. Cat used to the king of the road in diesel engines not so much the story anymore. the only "legal" way that guys are getting around the epa 2010 crap is by purchasing a glider truck and retrofitting it with their own engine. however i believe the said glider must be ordered in such a fashionn that it is replacing an older unit so to speak so it only has to comply with the regulations that were in effect for the year of the unit it is replacing. we have buil three units so far this year that were gliders. 2 petes and a fruit liner.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new system has become a challenge in the fire industry also. The first fire trucks with it would actually go into regen while fighting a fire. This caused all kinds of issues like rpm changes and hotter exhaust by the truck sitting in one spot. Now we can bypass the regen while firefighting and do it after. Another issues is the trucks don't get out on the hiway so driving around the city they regen more often. Basically parked in front of the firehall doing a regen. Keeps it interesting for us.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PDI conversion pricing (rough estimates) from Arctic Truck Parts

2003-2007 Cummins ISX $11,000-12,500
2008-2010 Cummins ISX $13,000-14,000
2008-2010 Cat Acert $7,500-$8,000
They can also do Detroits

2003-2007 ISX you can do it in 5 mintues with no cost. Real simple.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My friend that works at a station in the city said the same thing. Bit of a problem for all. Guess we just have to bare with it. I was told once upon a time it was a hefty fine for taking off the regen system. One has to think do the pros outweigh the cons?Again yesterday stage1 emission light went off, so I tried to regen... Motor wasnt warm enough. Regen went into stage 2... Had to drive up and down a iceroad to heat motor up. Finally parked and the motor reved to 1600 for 35min all environmentally friendly :)

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But look how clean the exhaust pipe is...it has to be environmentally friendly...:tongue1:

Top Bottom