horsey creek

northernguy

Reaction score
Does any one have any info on horsey creek good or bad i cant find much info on the area. is it advanced riding area or whats in there any info would be apreciated.thanks

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Hoesey Creek is an advanced riding area, its also tough to get into. Its not too much further than Terracana Resort, just a few km further on the right side of the road if your coming down 16 through Jasper on the way to McBride.
The trail up is un-groomed and will be a good tough ride up the creek bed, then a major sidehill and your in. I would not recommend going in without someone that doesn't know the area.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We broke half way up the creek on the 3rd of dec put had to head home no idea if anyone has finished it off. Not for the beginners thats for sure expecially if you have to finish the trail off.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoesey Creek is an advanced riding area, its also tough to get into. Its not too much further than Terracana Resort, just a few km further on the right side of the road if your coming down 16 through Jasper on the way to McBride.
The trail up is un-groomed and will be a good tough ride up the creek bed, then a major sidehill and your in. I would not recommend going in without someone that doesn't know the area.

X2 for what Ron says, seen big avys by the lakes also.

theunit1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard the boys from terracanna made it up to the valley and came down not sure if true or not.

Arma-Coat Finishes

Reaction score
we just came back from there on sunday, but we ended up going up all the swithchbacks and kept hitting dead ends, it was still a blast to ride. We rode straight past the gravel pit and I noticed tracks going left that must be the way to the creek. It was our first time there but will be back. I see from other posts here the creek is the way up but we did not see it. What is the apline uptop like???

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we just came back from there on sunday, but we ended up going up all the swithchbacks and kept hitting dead ends, it was still a blast to ride. We rode straight past the gravel pit and I noticed tracks going left that must be the way to the creek. It was our first time there but will be back. I see from other posts here the creek is the way up but we did not see it. What is the apline uptop like???

Read posts above, average size area with high avy risks. SAR does not respond to this area.....what does that say. RIDE AND RESCUE IS UP TO YOU ONLY

Arma-Coat Finishes

Reaction score
I did read quotes from above , wanted to find out if its worth breaking through........and I guess it is.........probably head up in a weeks time and break on through

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a good area to ride ACF, just it is an etreme avy area that's why you will get no help from SAR on a rescue. Have the proper gear and training to minimize the risk. There is inherrent risk in this sport, it is soley up to you where you draw the line. If you're an average rider you may be able to break a trail in but the avy risks are on top as almost all faces slide at some point during the year. Look at the runouts as some will take you over the north cliffs. Just look at the short sloped trees when you get there. Enjoy your riding season and be careful not to permanently end it early.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did read quotes from above , wanted to find out if its worth breaking through........and I guess it is.........probably head up in a weeks time and break on through

Wow that is pretty much the opposite of what I read. Average size, High Avy risk, No SAR. I've ridden it once and will leave it at that. Not worth not coming home

Relic

Reaction score
High just got back from riding horsey for 2 days was great. Trail in was great and water fall trail is in great shape.Rock faces have all slid and not much snow on theme right know.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a good area to ride ACF, just it is an etreme avy area that's why you will get no help from SAR on a rescue. Have the proper gear and training to minimize the risk. There is inherrent risk in this sport, it is soley up to you where you draw the line. If you're an average rider you may be able to break a trail in but the avy risks are on top as almost all faces slide at some point during the year. Look at the runouts as some will take you over the north cliffs. Just look at the short sloped trees when you get there. Enjoy your riding season and be careful not to permanently end it early.

things that make you say HMMMMM. can't believe people still go into this area.

hyrk

Reaction score

Use google earth to have a look at what your up against...... you can see all the traps without being in them.

Showing:Trail up the falls (going right), Horsey glacier top left.

Attachments

• Horsey.jpg
    Horsey.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 123

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a great picture!!. We've been in there a couple of times and that is a great summer shot... 'just add snow' and you're there!:cool:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a great picture!!. We've been in there a couple of times and that is a great summer shot... 'just add snow' and you're there!:cool:

I do hope you're kidding. You do realize that is just a virtual picture.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Satellite shot and man it's the real deal, but not as easy as the picture makes it look.

sorry to burst your bubble snochuk, but the angle of the shot is not an actual photo of the area. Yes you are right that it is a satellite shot, but it is a computer generated image generated from several shots of the area and a complex software to make it look as real as possible. Not to say that there are not shots that are actual shots just when you start plating with the angle of view you move to virtual images.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picky, picky, picky, picky, picky. The regenerated shots are more accurate than most topo maps and show areas/details better than any map out there. Every cabin and ski lodge can be found in the mountains if you have the coordinates. You can see the rocks in front of the Renshaw cabin and you can even find the West Ridge cabin in the trees as well as both cabins at Catamount Glacier. Try that on a real map. :eek:

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havent been in thee this year but last year we broke in with some help from the old trapper that lives at the bottom.. Took us a couple hours to get in was a blast getting in!! We rode there a few times after and seen alot of avvies late in the season not much for run-outs there very extreme and your on your own.. Beautiful area not very big, i think we rode over nine different lakes etc..

Top Bottom