Trip to Africa

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a thee week trip to Africa planned starting mid July. Group trip with two persons that grew up in area so set on area and guide as well as any mounts to be done.
I have transported firearms cross border to USA but looking for pointers on permit to transport.
Outfitter does supply some very nice guns but would prefer to use mine.
Any pointers in the right direction of permits and procedures would be appreciated.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a thee week trip to Africa planned starting mid July. Group trip with two persons that grew up in area so set on area and guide as well as any mounts to be done.
I have transported firearms cross border to USA but looking for pointers on permit to transport.
Outfitter does supply some very nice guns but would prefer to use mine.
Any pointers in the right direction of permits and procedures would be appreciated.
I guess my first ? is you plan on hunting in a foreign country, 2. Is if the outfitter is supplying why would you want to go through all the bureaucratic bs with permits to transport/hunt in a foreign country etc.. Also the fact of with the way airlines are today and the world of possibly never receiving your gun on the other end at all and losing it hmnn. If it were me i would just board the plane with what i need and use there's less risk/ stress/headache involved and go and enjoy. Just my 002:)

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My daughter is coming with me and I am willing to risk one gun each. Most hunters will understand this and I have lots of guns.
I am a hunter and clearly do not understand this over thinking, sounds to me more like a pride thing and i am ok with sucking up some pride for less headache. But hey fill your boot's i guess:)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absolutely a pride thing, we have hunted together with these guns since she was old enough to hunt.
Loss of guns would be cheapest part of trip, long to do list for the two of us.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best of luck with the paperwork/bureaucracy end of it, do let us know if it works out though.;)

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I would also be on the fence about taking my own vs using theirs. Be nice to say you used your own when telling stories. All depends on how much BS paper work their is. Probably would be tougher bringing it back to Canada than leaving

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to my own unit for comfort of knowing how to shoot it at different distances. Last thing I would want after travelling that far would be to miss a trophy at say 430 yards because I’m not familiar with someone else’s firearms. Look forward to hearing about your trip plans Randy

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hopefully this helps you.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to my own unit for comfort of knowing how to shoot it at different distances. Last thing I would want after travelling that far would be to miss a trophy at say 430 yards because I’m not familiar with someone else’s firearms. Look forward to hearing about your trip plans Randy
Its a plains game hunt on about 32,000 acres. Shots are typicall 200-500 yards.
Its on a private land ranch (friend of the guy I work/hunt with here) so no other hunter competition. Different stile of hunt from truck to on foot stalk/blinds.
Their winter so most poisenous things are dormant and temps are similar to our late summer. Large preditors that mess with people typically out of the area.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hopefully this helps you.
Thanks, will check this out for sure and google also, what I was looking for.
There are some people from by farm that have gone, i will be hitting them up also for what they did.
Their's was also a group hunt and they rented a seacan to ship everything back as one lot.

Reactions: zal

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Father in law has gone four or five times, has some amazing stories! Taking down a charging bull elephant sorta stuff!!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Randy your guns will make it there safely. My brother in law goes across the border all the time for sport shooting. Airlines don’t want to separate owners from their guns. To much paperwork to deal with so it’s a guarantee. I’ll text my cousin and ask him how much hassle it was for his African shoot. He had a great time. The only thing that concerned him was he had some heads stuffed over there and had to pay upfront and it took close to a year for them to come to his door. He thought he was out the money but was fine in the end.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had some friends went on a hunt I think to New Zealand. They got 7 beautiful trophy animals. Not one of them made it back to Canada. Somehow "lost during shipping"
I would be so mad. They were thankfully they got lots of pictures at least

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Randy your guns will make it there safely. My brother in law goes across the border all the time for sport shooting. Airlines don’t want to separate owners from their guns. To much paperwork to deal with so it’s a guarantee. I’ll text my cousin and ask him how much hassle it was for his African shoot. He had a great time. The only thing that concerned him was he had some heads stuffed over there and had to pay upfront and it took close to a year for them to come to his door. He thought he was out the money but was fine in the end.
Thanks
That's the happy story I typically hear.
European mounts return 3-6 months to Canada.
Shoulder mounts 9-15 months but they do make it back.
Contact info to the experienced would be great.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I talked to my cousin Randy and he said he didn’t take his gun with him. They used guns supplied by the guides. I then contacted my brother in law that shoots competitive trap sometimes in the States. Here is what he texted to me. I think your best bet is to talk to Canada Customs and maybe they can help you get pointed in the right direction. IMG_5707.jpeg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He also said if you want to call him and he can explain it better. I can provide contact info if you want to talk to him. Good luck!

Top Bottom