Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

rgutmann

Reaction score
After following this for now over a year with great interest, thanks to everyone who kept this thread going and updated. It's just to bad Mr McKay wasn't fined alot more and the coviction didn't carry a jail sentance.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last year at this time we were all watching and wondering if those horses were going to be freed from the snow. Come right down to Christmas eve. A year later and we have a end and a update. All good in the end.

Merry Christmas

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Not trying to downplay the big "horse rescue" situation...but...It's been a whole year and this thread keeps rolling.That's a good thing.Great to see people taking such an interest in the story!
We are a foster family and see and hear of horrible things happening to children each and every day!!!Would be nice to see this big of an outpouring of outrage and support for some of these helpless victims!!!

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to downplay the big "horse rescue" situation...but...It's been a whole year and this thread keeps rolling.That's a good thing.Great to see people taking such an interest in the story!
We are a foster family and see and hear of horrible things happening to children each and every day!!!Would be nice to see this big of an outpouring of outrage and support for some of these helpless victims!!!

X100. Well, well said

Falling Star

Reaction score
Mackay appeals court decision

Wednesday March 17, 2010 The Valley Sentinel

The former owner of the two pack horses rescued from starvation in the Mount Renshaw area in December 2008 appealed the judge’s ruling about probation and counselling through his lawyer recently, arguing that the judge exceeded his jurisdiction.
In McBride Provincial Court on December 4, 2009, 64-year-old
Edmonton-based lawyer Frank Mackay pled guilty to one count of causing an animal to be in distress under the provincial Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. On a joint submission, Mackay received a $1,000 fi ne plus a $150 victim surcharge fine, a prohibition against possessing any animals for two years in B.C., and a probation order for the period of 12 months.
The probation order also included a counselling term. Mackay was further ordered to pay restitution to the B.C. SPCA in the amount of $5,910.16. The proceedings on the two criminal code offences were stayed.
In early February, a provincial Supreme Court judge in Prince George overturned the probation order including the counselling term. The prohibition against possessing any animals for two years in B.C. remained in place.
The Provincial Court of British Columbia is a court of statute, explained Crown Prosecutor Geoffrey McDonald. “That is, it cannot do anything that a statute does not allow it to do. In contrast, the BC Supreme Court has ‘inherent
jurisdiction’ and has the power to do justice as it sees fi t. Mr. Mackay plead guilty to a British Columbia provincial statute that did not allow a probation order as given by Judge Gray. Judge Gray exceeded his jurisdiction in ordering one.”
The two horses, Belle and Sundance, have recovered and now live in new permanent homes near Prince George and Kamloops respectively.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
Thought I would post a copy of a clipping I received today from some friends in Saskatchewan. The clipping is from the Saskatoon newspaper. There is still alot of interest in this story, so I thought some members would be interested in this.

This weekend (June 19th) is McBride's Pioneer Days & Adventure weekend. There will be a parade on Saturday morning, and this parade will be led by one of the snow trench diggers (Birgit "fallingstar" Stutz) riding Belle, one of the rescued horses. Hopefully we will get some pictures to post for everyone.

If you want to check it out, the Link for McBride adventure weekend is
There you will see a list of events and times.

Attachments

• Mail0002.JPG
    Mail0002.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to the pics!!

Watch out for that lawyer fugger..... Might be lurking and wanting to snatch up that horse, so keep an eye on belle........... Just sayin'

Uhh... I think that's pretty unlikely. LOL- considering he would be a main target and would prolly face jail.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
Well, Birgit and Belle led the parade on Saturday and I have to say, that is one beautiful horse. Birgit worked with her for a couple of weeks to be able to ride her in the parade and she did exceptionally well. The last picture here is just a reminder of what Belle looked like when she was rescued. Still an amazing story.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 492
  • Resized_belle.jpg
    Resized_belle.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 686

waka

Reaction score
Good work on the animals... they look to be in much better hands now... I am sure there is some good karma coming to all the people who helped out on this project!!

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Listened to an article about this on CBC Radio. Brigit had a great interview. I guess there is book being written about the whole thing.

Wonder who will play mackay in the movie?

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the book will be ready late summer, will try and confirm for all.

Top Bottom