Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

DiablosHalo

Reaction score
I emailed ABC news here in Philadelphia, PA, USA.

I know they will be interested in the story and hopefully generate lotsssss more donations for you!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I can't wait for the good news! I think this is a really great story and sheds a good light on the sledders and all the people involved. Two very lucky horses. :)

really459

Reaction score
Amazing that this is coming from someone from Texas.
Thanks for the concern! It is surely much appreciated, obviously you are a horse enthusiast!! :D I am sure the peeps here are gonna do the best for the horse's health and recovery.
I would guess that the supplements would be administered after the animals are safely returned to their new home?

CUSO

LOL there are people all over the USA reading and waiting for the news that all the volunteers and the 2 horses are out of there and safe!!!

About the supplements I just worry too much about collic and other things especially because of their condition.

I sure hope they get them out of there and into a safe barn today!!!

Merry Christmas and thanks to all of you for saving the horses!:)

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score
I know you are all very busy with the rescue effort...but... does anyone have pictures of the terrain you are dealing with up there? I am on the East Coast on the Atlantic. My entire state is as flat as a pancake (flapjack) and once every 5 yrs we get 2' of snow that shuts the state down for a week.

I can not fathom what ya'll are working with. I keep trying to imagine big mountain, deep snow but my mental picture is a bunny-hill at the Pocono Mtns in PA. LOL!

Please feel free to visit my page. Sara Olofsson. It shows the depth of the trenches with people in them for reference. Those photos of the Renshaw are nice but it shows the open riding areas that everyone uses, not the actual area the horses were trapped in. Hope that helps.

Horseperson

Reaction score
Another person reading this with fingers crossed. Hope everyone and the horses gets out of there safely and hopefully you get it finished today. I found this link through a horse bulletin board.

I want to thank everyone involved in this so much and may you all have a great Christmas.

Reading of this changed my mind about sledders as well.

I took the liberty of forwarding the story to the Vancouver Sun yesterday as I feel that it is important that people are aware of this situation so they can help in anyway possible.

Again a huge thank you to everyone.

kensmith69

Reaction score
Please feel free to visit my page. Sara Olofsson. It shows the depth of the trenches with people in them for reference. Those photos of the Renshaw are nice but it shows the open riding areas that everyone uses, not the actual area the horses were trapped in. Hope that helps.

And where is "your page"?

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score
A few years ago a friend and I hauled 3 cows out of the bush almost 20 miles.
They were snowed in and starving.
We hogtied them and put them on a larger skimmer
3 trips and they were at the road.
I have pictures of the other 6 that didnt make it , but we got the 3 out.
Why not tranquilize these horse and do the same?

Hi Ken, thanks for the suggestion, it was one of the first we thought of, but a vet must administer this, and after their visit and inspection felt it wasn't in the best interest of the horses (and certainly wasn't in the best interest of those digging either!!! Haha!)
I agree this would have been the fastest solution for sure.

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score
Sara - trying to get a sledder to bring out to you. If not I can ship greyhound. I am hoping someone will volunteer to take it from Edmonton/Sherwood Park to McBride. Greyhound would carge a small fortune to ship 25kgs. Good talking to you today. Alan

That would be great, and for sure save the money! I believe someone may be bringing Matt's new sled from Wainwright for him in the next couple of days? He hasn't been able to get it because he's been busy up the hill and now Christmas is descending on us......so could someone verify if they are bringing it and when/where so that I may arrange pick-up?
Thanks everyone!

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Barry,....

This is a great story to pretend to be involved in, but lets face it, most of us are not out there digging.

I'm proud, and I barely know a couple of the people involved, and they, along with others, were hard at work long before the news found out about it.

As it turns out, they've made thier town proud on an international level.

Keep up the effort.

Dean

RubiconGal

Reaction score
I'm both a horse owner and part of the 4-wheeling community. I want to thank you for all your efforts and bringing this all to light and helping to save these poor horses.

I know from experience that both the horse community AND the wheeling community are very closeknit groups that take care of their own, and others as is evidenced by your efforts.

The word is out about the wonderful things you are doing (ie why the donations are coming in) and it will forever be remembered. I hope the ashat who did this is found and dumped up there in the snow to suffer the same fate. :rant:

I learned about this and your efforts via one of the biggest online horse forums, Chronicle of the Horse (COTH). Here is the link to the thread about this. COTH FORUM

Merry Christmas to all!

DiablosHalo

Reaction score
Just a quick fyi for you folks... this morning at 9:47 EST there were 4573 views on this thread.

As of now... 1:54pm EST, there are 15,392 views!!!! Just goes to show word of mouth is spreading and hopefully your donations will reflect all the people touched by your story and rescue effort!

Keep the updates coming as we are sitting on pins and needles!

Last edited:

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I could not make it up to help. I did contribute with a donation though. Stuck at work through Christmas. I hope this thread opens a lot of folks eyes to show them what sledders are really like, contributing the time,effort and donations. Caring and compassionate folks we are.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that I wished I lived closer! I live 12-hours away; otherwise I would be out there helping dig the trench. Instead all I can do is donate some money, send well wishes and good thoughts.

I wanted to pass along kudos to all of you who are assisting in this effort. I do technical animal rescue and sheltering during disaster situations and am well aware of the challenges of such a task.

I also have a confession. Prior to this event I was indifferent to sledders - and truthfully, maybe even a little judgmental or skeptical - (yes, I admit it... I don't own a sled), but through your efforts to do good for these animals that were left in a circumstance not of their making, you and the community of McBride have won me over. What you are doing is not only a great humane service; you have also accomplished a wonderful action in the realm of public relations. Good for you!

As for those nay-Sayers - quit being critical of how others choose to express their kindness. Keep your negativity to yourself since it doesn't help anyone... human or equine. Let these people do what they are choosing to do and cheer them on instead. After all, they have changed my indifference or judgment of the sledding community and I know I'm not the only one.

Once again - to those who are supportive and are assisting, great job on your efforts!!!

Thanks for your comments regarding sledders. The fact is, sledders love the environment also, which is one of the reasons that we love going to these remote areas so much. Sledding as a rule doesn't hurt the environment. Sure there are some emissions from sleds, but really in the grand scheme of things, the amount of sleds as opposed to cars, trucks, etc. is miniscule, and the newer sleds produce much less emissions as manafacturers are aware of these concerns. Because sleds travel on the snow, they do not dig up the ground. There are always some sledders (and this can apply to any activity) that are bad apples, but they are a small minority. The whole community and activity should not be judged and penalized because of their actions, but we face this constantly. As well, the vast majority of sledders are kind, supportive people from my experience, and willing to help out (as this endeavor shows, as most of the volunteers and those making donations are sledders) when needed. I hope when someone trashes the sledding sport and community, people like you will speak up and debunk some of the misinformation.:)

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the news people can rent some sleds from Glenn and actually experience what it is all about while supporting the sport and of course also put in a couple hours of digging ??

Top Bottom