Honda Brakes

DragonCFI

Reaction score
Everyone know that the drum brakes on the Honda's always fail once they get wet and repairing them is a waste of time.

I was looking at the disc brake conversion kits by Quadrax and Highlifter for them. Has anyone every tried these and are they worth the money.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me first say that there is nothing I dislike more than drum brakes on an ATV. The main reason why I prefer north americian made ATVs is hydrolic disc brakes.

I cannot remember the last time we had a Honda in our shop for brakes were the brakes were properly maintained. Actually the same statement can be made for any brand with drum brakes.

All the seals on drum brakes require liberal amounts of grease to keep water out. If the seals are ran without grease, they need to be changed. If the seals are in good shape, installed correctly, and greased properly water will not get in the drums.

If water does get in the drums then adjusters and cams needs to be serviced before they seize up; shoes, springs, backing plate and drum need to be cleaned. If this work is not done then all but the backing plates will require replacment in a short time.

Properly maintained disc brake pads will typically last 800 to 2000km; drum brake shoes 1500 to 4000km. Brake discs typically last 3500 to 7000kms; brake drums will out live the atv. Disc brakes generally require no service between pad changes; drums brakes require servicing every third adjustment or about every 800kms. Over the life of an atv the cost of proper maintainance on the each brake system is about the same if you have a shop do all the work. If you do your own maintainance then drum brakes are actually cheaper if they are properly maintained.

The conversion kits are only worth it if you know you will not do the required maintainance on your drum system.

BTW, servicing drum brakes every 800km will take about a half hour per drum and one tube of grease will service 20 to 25 drums and associated seals.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I just ordered a a front disk conversion kit for my 2000 foreman 400...so I'll see how it goes....

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya let us know how easy it is to install and how well it works once on. I am looking into getting the conversion kit but would like to hear some feed back.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the Highlifter kit on a 450 and 400 and they were worth every penny! I did front and rear on my 450 and it was night and day from stock.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Had the Highlifter kit on a 450 and 400 and they were worth every penny! I did front and rear on my 450 and it was night and day from stock.

Good to hear my kit comes in thursday and I will be attempting the install friday night

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear my kit comes in thursday and I will be attempting the install friday night

Have a set of wheel bearings handy as well. if you have many wet miles they will most likely be toast. The aftermarket ones are as good as the Honda ones and way cheeper!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Have a set of wheel bearings handy as well. if you have many wet miles they will most likely be toast. The aftermarket ones are as good as the Honda ones and way cheeper!

I'm told the kit I bought comes with...Hubs, Bearings, brake assembly, pads...But I'll be sure to ask Kevin if there is anything missing...

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up the Quadrax disc kit for me and a buddy. Be putting them on this wknd. I know we both were ready to throw them on and jacked the quad up to find out the brgs were done. Now waiting on the brgs to come in.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you order it with Highlifter make sure you call them and tell them you want USPS not UPS make sure they do this or you will get like 200+$ on the UPS fees.

I ordered a set for my old man for christmas. He loves em they are 1000x better then the drums ever were they stop the tires dead. even from new when we used to unload the Atv off the trailer the tires would turn slowly as you backed off of it. now he can hang the bike there if he wants with the back tires dangling off the back end.

breaking on hills is no longer a problem either.

you can also do the rear break as well which i would recommend also then your disk all the way around.

GL. USPS NOT UPS!!

Top Bottom