Home Alarm system advice after Break-In!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
This only applies to residents of Edmonton, unless your city/town has the same program

It is a City of Edmonton bylaw that everyone must have a Alarm Permit, it is intended to promote the responsible use of alarm systems & to reduce the number of false alarms requiring a response.

Ah Thanks i was worried for a bit.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses and great advice. They stole our Laptop (our life was on there!), the scanner that was attached along with a 500GB hard drive with 4 yrs of pictures on there. The only reason we had everything attached to it was because my wife was working on her parent's 50th Anniversary Collage. They walked right by my little notebook I have for my business (thank god) that was sitting on the table. Stole a box from our bedroom that had every card that I had ever given my wife from the time we started dating (valentines, b-days, christmas etc... that one really hurt her!). Jewelery, my wife's make-up? Who the hell steals make-up? They took our laundry basket to carry stuff out, and who knows what else. It looks like they were trying to take one of the tv's, but left it behind for some reason. Overall, it was a weird, bold break-in. SUCKS!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work nights and with my wife home along we taked about a security system, but really with our 130 lbs Cane Corso I would love to see it. He does not let out one bark when we are home. But alittle while ago our mail informed us that she knows when we are home and when we are not. Our dog meets her at the door face to face looking through the door window teeth showing with the odd bark, when we are not home. She said it still makes her heart sink every time. I'm a true beliver in dogs. that total sucks about the pics, we just bought a 500G hard drive for that same reason, I guess I should buy 2!!!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the other key to the alarm is the occasional test of the siren,,, to let people know u have it... just give the neighbors a heads up....so as not to cry wolf...the word gets around that u have a system...typically its always the easiest looking place that gets hit..

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ADT, I also installed a 6 camera system as we live out on the acreage. The camera system is great, they plug into a standard 110 plug in, set the camera to look at what it is you want and then through your wireless router it picks up the signal so no extra wiring, cameras come on when the infrared sensor gets tripped and then sends you an alert to your phone or black berry and you can log on to the web to see whats going on and also records the events for you. Burn the video to a disk and give it to the cops.

Have one camera watching the sleds, one watching the trailer, one watching the garage, one watching the drive way and two inside the house.

Can you tell me more about the camera system. I have been curious about the wireless camers working inthe extreme cold of winter? Had one security company tell me there camers won't work below -20 so whats the point. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. PM if you don;t wish to post here.

Thanks

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Can you tell me more about the camera system. I have been curious about the wireless camers working inthe extreme cold of winter? Had one security company tell me there camers won't work below -20 so whats the point. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. PM if you don;t wish to post here.

Thanks

Zrrrrr,

is this for your personal residence or for your business? I work for a company that does CCTV either IP based or other. Let me know and maybe I can hook you up with a sales guy.

TG

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I have had experience with two. ADT and Alarmforce. HANDSDOWN!!! ALARMFORCE is the one to go with!! Retodd on the site got broken into awhile back and not only could you here the person inside but the dispatcher scared her off. I've got it at work too and it gets set off about 4 times a year for various reasons and they are downright impressive. Someone is talking to you very loudly as soon as it goes off. :beer::d:beer:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zrrrrr,

is this for your personal residence or for your business? I work for a company that does CCTV either IP based or other. Let me know and maybe I can hook you up with a sales guy.

TG

T,

This is just to monitor my new garage and the back yard. I don't want to run cable all over the place and need a cold weather camera. You can PM me info.

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses and great advice. They stole our Laptop (our life was on there!), the scanner that was attached along with a 500GB hard drive with 4 yrs of pictures on there. The only reason we had everything attached to it was because my wife was working on her parent's 50th Anniversary Collage. They walked right by my little notebook I have for my business (thank god) that was sitting on the table. Stole a box from our bedroom that had every card that I had ever given my wife from the time we started dating (valentines, b-days, christmas etc... that one really hurt her!). Jewelery, my wife's make-up? Who the hell steals make-up? They took our laundry basket to carry stuff out, and who knows what else. It looks like they were trying to take one of the tv's, but left it behind for some reason. Overall, it was a weird, bold break-in. SUCKS!

this whole thing sucks, and i feel your pain on the external hard drive being stolen with everything on there. 2 years ago I got broke into and they hit my house and my shop in the same night, ran out of space and came back 2 days later to pick more items out of the shop. :realmad:

they got both of my laptops and my external hard drives in the process. so now i also use Carbonite to back everything up.. sure wish i could have all my pics and everything else back though. but for 55 bucks a year i have another protection of not losing everything again.

Lex87

Reaction score
Such a crappy situation!!:mad: I hate theives!!! We use ADT but are thinking about switching to one of the new wireless home security systems that allow you to be notified via your iphone, blackberry, cellphone, etc. Once we have it up and running I'll let you know what i think of it! So sorry that happened to you!! Hopefully nothing sentimental was taken.

Cheers
Lexy

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Ron,

Sorry to hear of your break in. I completely understand as I am a Certified Master and Journeyman Locksmith who owns an Alarm Company with branches in Calgary and Edmonton. I have a similar raised bungalow (love the exterior upgrades on yours) layout with an identical door setup on the front. Best way to secure that frame is with the addition of a bolt buddy (google it - available at the Depot or Rona) which through bolts from the exterior through to the interior of the jamb and completely reinforces it by compressing the jambset.

Second thing is to invest in a "High Security Deadbolt" such as a Medeco or Abloy product for starters. These locks feature hardened steel bolts and they will stand up to 10x the abuse of a common Weiser or Schlage lock. Seriously!

As for alarms...they are a great deterrent if they are installed correctly and actually "used" but should also have a real companies decals on the doors along with a yard sign to show a would be thief that it's for real and not just some internet bought alarm decal with no system installed. We install systems into homes and estates and use products from DSC, Paradox and a few other Enterprise platforms. Most of our work is high end commercial work but I can help you out or give you some advice if required. Motion detectors and glass breaks can be installed in the common basement rooms and front and rear door contacts are a must. Keypads should be placed at the entrance door and the master bedroom to provide night time arming convenience to secure the home while you're down for the night or away for a while. Cell backups are also a great addition to prevent phone line bypass but can add additional costs. Monitoring is always optional and a good 30watt siren in the attic is a great start to gain the neighbors attention.

If you're considering CCTV products, my advice is to stay away from the junk Costco sells as it's cheap import product that doesn't last or incurs image burn in before much use. My company is a dealer for many products including Bosch, Pelco, Honeywell and many others. We install a significant amount of CCTV products throughout Alberta and have 20+ years doing this type of work. If you need some ideas or pricing, you can give me a call. I'll PM you my contact info if that helps you out at all. We don't advertise in print anymore but we're all over the web. Company is Contract Security Inc.

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Family went with ADT. Its a joke. Had the alarm go off, they try calling the house, then the first contact on your list, then will send authority. So that was a scrap. Then called up Alarm Force. Very good company. Had it go off one morning when i got up. Thank god i already took a leak before heading up the stairs! the alarm is loud, and the voice service is great. If no answer in 30 seconds or there is any screaming and such authorities are called ASAP. They dont call any contacts on your list. Alarm force, can also be turned on and off by the Key less remote, key pad, or home phones. Check them out, and you won't be disappointed. I've heard alot of other staories with companies and this one still stands. Also installed 3 video cameras just to watch the p*cker heads!

Hope this helps,

Ridin High

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron,

Sorry to hear of your break in. I completely understand as I am a Certified Master and Journeyman Locksmith who owns an Alarm Company with branches in Calgary and Edmonton. I have a similar raised bungalow (love the exterior upgrades on yours) layout with an identical door setup on the front. Best way to secure that frame is with the addition of a bolt buddy (google it - available at the Depot or Rona) which through bolts from the exterior through to the interior of the jamb and completely reinforces it by compressing the jambset.

Second thing is to invest in a "High Security Deadbolt" such as a Medeco or Abloy product for starters. These locks feature hardened steel bolts and they will stand up to 10x the abuse of a common Weiser or Schlage lock. Seriously!

As for alarms...they are a great deterrent if they are installed correctly and actually "used" but should also have a real companies decals on the doors along with a yard sign to show a would be thief that it's for real and not just some internet bought alarm decal with no system installed. We install systems into homes and estates and use products from DSC, Paradox and a few other Enterprise platforms. Most of our work is high end commercial work but I can help you out or give you some advice if required. Motion detectors and glass breaks can be installed in the common basement rooms and front and rear door contacts are a must. Keypads should be placed at the entrance door and the master bedroom to provide night time arming convenience to secure the home while you're down for the night or away for a while. Cell backups are also a great addition to prevent phone line bypass but can add additional costs. Monitoring is always optional and a good 30watt siren in the attic is a great start to gain the neighbors attention.

If you're considering CCTV products, my advice is to stay away from the junk Costco sells as it's cheap import product that doesn't last or incurs image burn in before much use. My company is a dealer for many products including Bosch, Pelco, Honeywell and many others. We install a significant amount of CCTV products throughout Alberta and have 20+ years doing this type of work. If you need some ideas or pricing, you can give me a call. I'll PM you my contact info if that helps you out at all. We don't advertise in print anymore but we're all over the web. Company is Contract Security Inc.

Las time I was at Home Depot I looked for the Bolt Buddy as I wanted it for the garage. Didn't see it. Went to Rona, didn't see. Not a popular item? Pulled from stock? I will look again next time but didn't even see a spot where it should be??

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Very popular item and very widely used around the world now. They are locally manufactured by Door & Jamb Industries here in Calgary and I know the owner quite well as I am a dealer. If you're having problems finding one, give them a call or email them for a stocking dealer near you.

I wouldn't secure a door without one!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Had to go do another B&E repair job right by your house Ron. They were broken into on Jan 9. They took some larger items as well. Took there pillow cases too. Patio door and front door were open. Sounds like possibly the same crew. They live right south of west edmonton mall, 172 st ish..

Top Bottom