Home Alarm system advice after Break-In!

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bast%$!ds broke in to our house yesterday while we out shopping. Right through the front door! Brand spanking new door, we just finished the exterior of our house. When I installed the front door I reinforced it to the nines! It took them quite awile to get in and had many purchase points trying to bust the deadbolt and jam but the crowbar won eventually. I still can't believe no one saw anything as we are wide open on the end of our cul-de-sac! Brave thieves! God I wish I could have caught them! Pretty sick feeling pulling into the driveway and seeing your front door wide open:mad:

Anyway, we are going to install an Alarm System now. Does anyone have a good system in their home that they would recommend? Your input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Here are a few pictures of our hard work over the last year. I guess you are not allowed to have nice things these days! Bast%$!ds

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpg
    IMG_4391.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5410.jpg
    IMG_5410.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6000.jpg
    IMG_6000.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 42

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SOB's ....you probrably would have killed them if ya'd have caught'em. You know it blows me away about this soirt of chit...that how in hell do these guys not know that maybe you forgot something like your wallet and only went around the block....its like they have eyes or maybe they have someone tailing with radio's so you don't return and catch them....just blows a guy away. Did they get anything? Sorry...I have to install something as well....i used to have a system but it wasn't user friendly so I let go. I am going to get another one and mine shouldn't be too hard as we had all wiring already in. Plus I have infrared wireless in my garage as well and i also bought a home security system with camers I am going to install. I know Costco had them on sale at one time. I think just google costco.ca and look in electronics...give you an idea anyway. Nice lookin place you have by the way....good luck!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bast%$!ds broke in to our house yesterday while we out shopping. Right through the front door! Brand spanking new door, we just finished the exterior of our house. When I installed the front door I reinforced it to the nines! It took them quite awile to get in and had many purchase points trying to bust the deadbolt and jam but the crowbar won eventually. I still can't believe no one saw anything as we are wide open on the end of our cul-de-sac! Brave thieves! God I wish I could have caught them! Pretty sick feeling pulling into the driveway and seeing your front door wide open:mad:

Anyway, we are going to install an Alarm System now. Does anyone have a good system in their home that they would recommend? Your input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Here are a few pictures of our hard work over the last year. I guess you are not allowed to have nice things these days! Bast%$!ds

nice place,,,what are ur thoughts on 220 volts to door knob and matt??

fackers...........

i have adt, they call ur cell phone when it goes off. and i have a BIG AZZ siren out siide that can be heard for a mile or two....

T

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Ron. pretty much all the alarm companies are the same, they sell you a system and then a monthly charge for the package. My parents were in a bad area for awhile. They actually never had a system, all they had were a couple closed circuit cameras in the corner of the windows at the front and back and some alarm company signs. seems to have worked for them for many years.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Ron. pretty much all the alarm companies are the same, they sell you a system and then a monthly charge for the package. My parents were in a bad area for awhile. They actually never had a system, all they had were a couple closed circuit cameras in the corner of the windows at the front and back and some alarm company signs. seems to have worked for them for many years.

cameras r a good idea,........

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ADT, I also installed a 6 camera system as we live out on the acreage. The camera system is great, they plug into a standard 110 plug in, set the camera to look at what it is you want and then through your wireless router it picks up the signal so no extra wiring, cameras come on when the infrared sensor gets tripped and then sends you an alert to your phone or black berry and you can log on to the web to see whats going on and also records the events for you. Burn the video to a disk and give it to the cops.

Have one camera watching the sleds, one watching the trailer, one watching the garage, one watching the drive way and two inside the house.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Ron.......Sorry to hear that,Our next door nieghbors got broke into a few years back so we thought it was time as well and went with ADT........System is as good as any and they are one of the larger companies.
catmando!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ADT, I also installed a 6 camera system as we live out on the acreage. The camera system is great, they plug into a standard 110 plug in, set the camera to look at what it is you want and then through your wireless router it picks up the signal so no extra wiring, cameras come on when the infrared sensor gets tripped and then sends you an alert to your phone or black berry and you can log on to the web to see whats going on and also records the events for you. Burn the video to a disk and give it to the cops.

Have one camera watching the sleds, one watching the trailer, one watching the garage, one watching the drive way and two inside the house.

Are the images stored on the web so that if they steal your computer???....

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Everything is on the web, they can take all the computer stuff they want but they cant get the images and video.

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That sucks, Sorry to hear,
Kinda off topic but the house looks top notch
Good Job

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have Alarm Force as well .Haven't needed it yet (Knock on wood).But it is pretty loud siren .Two way voice communication with the dispatcher and two emergency buttons on the keypad.I think it is around 20$ a month or something like that.And also a few rifles in various locations throught the house.

Hitchguy

Reaction score
Hey Ron we use PWR and they use there own monitoring guys too and are a lot cheaper monthly pm me if you want more info thanks and sorry to hear about this this way!! just once I would like to catch these f*****S red handed.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Sorry to hear that Ron, Just some advise for ya that I give all my customers while were replacing there door. You can secure the door with long screws in the hinges, a striker side steel plate and the thieves can just walk over and kick in the window and there in, so if they want in they'll get in. Now go with a good reputable alarm company like ADT, Telsco that install a real outdoor siren, not a box that sits in the living room on a table. Have them put there stickers and the alarm system is worth nothing in security without the Permit stuck on the front door. (thats in edmonton) You can have all the stickers that say you have an alarm but without that Alarm Permit the thieves know its just some stickers you got from someone. There smarter these days. And a dog is a good deterrent as well. Just for the people that are wondering my customers all have broken doors?? I work for a insurance restoration construction company. Hope that answers that question before its a question.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Ron, Just some advise for ya that I give all my customers while were replacing there door. You can secure the door with long screws in the hinges, a striker side steel plate and the thieves can just walk over and kick in the window and there in, so if they want in they'll get in. Now go with a good reputable alarm company like ADT, Telsco that install a real outdoor siren, not a box that sits in the living room on a table. Have them put there stickers and the alarm system is worth nothing in security without the Permit stuck on the front door. (thats in edmonton) You can have all the stickers that say you have an alarm but without that Alarm Permit the thieves know its just some stickers you got from someone. There smarter these days. And a dog is a good deterrent as well. Just for the people that are wondering my customers all have broken doors?? I work for a insurance restoration construction company. Hope that answers that question before its a question.

What is this permit you are talking about on the front door .I have stickers and a little sign stuck in the flower bed by the door,but i don't think i have a permit??

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
What is this permit you are talking about on the front door .I have stickers and a little sign stuck in the flower bed by the door,but i don't think i have a permit??

This only applies to residents of Edmonton, unless your city/town has the same program

It is a City of Edmonton bylaw that everyone must have a Alarm Permit, it is intended to promote the responsible use of alarm systems & to reduce the number of false alarms requiring a response.

Top Bottom