Home Alarm System - what to get

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I'm looking for a home alarm system... the house is prewired, I live in Calgary, does anyone have anything to recommend.

I saw 4 kids stealing stuff from vehicles last week... the police caught and charged one of them... they know where I live and have already been egged... I don't want anything else to happen!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
That will be the alarm system I will have once I get a house/yard

dwillowguy

Reaction score
Get yourself a German Shepard, a shotgun a box of shells and a shovel. Then follow the three S rule. SHOOT,SHOVEL....SHUTUP :):):):)

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well these dogs come from russia they were bred to protect properties :d and the other dog has small dog syndrome

Attachments

• maddog8.jpg
    maddog8.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 187
  • maddog9.jpg
    maddog9.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Ugly-Mean-Dog--26957.jpg
    Ugly-Mean-Dog--26957.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 94

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are looking into alarm force for our new house..

iamcanadian

Reaction score
What's the monthly deal with Alarmforce? setup, term plan etc.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have alarm force, we set it off all the time (our fault) and they respond very fast. I think we pay $25 a month.

iamcanadian

Reaction score
Do you lock in for a term contract with free equipment or pay upfront for the gear and just pay monthly?

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have an American Pitbull Terrier. She works really well!

If you have yard space, or live on an acerage, just about any good size dog will deter theives. I seen it on TLC... LOL

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alarm force, Brinks, ADT, all pretty much the same.

Louisville's work well too. Nothing feels more wholesome than good ash wood against skull :)

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your alarm system is tailored to to what you want, you can alarm a window or you can alarm a screen so you can have the window open. Talk to your various reps and ask straightforward questions. Don't get sucked into the bait and switch bull. If they don't answer your questions to your satisfaction don't buy. The choice between buying outright and buying on term depends on what you can afford. I have been an installer for many years for alarm systems and there can be a lot of shysters out there. You should feel confident in your system. Professionally I much prefer the hardwired system as it doesn't require regular battery changes. You said you were prewired so you have most of the work done for you. There are a number of reputable outfits out there ADT, Protectron(formally Voxcom) Chubb is ok. Not a big fan of straight wireless as again the battery issue. Most of the vendors have two way communication but I have never been one to have that feature. It again is what you feel comfortable with. Oh and I don't do Residential alarms as I now into large commercial Camera and Card access systems but I figured you could use some clarity. I hope this helps.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to look into getting an alarm! Have you found a system yet? I am also looking for one because of some recent crime in my neighborhood. I would like to find something that will let me know if a door or window opens. Does anyone know if ADT home security systems has that feature? I am worried about my property getting stolen. It seems to be a common occurrence lately. Thanks for the advice!

Yes they for the most part all do. you make sure that the windows and doors have a contact on them. I use my alarm system to tell me if someone has gotten into my garage or opened a door. I have contacts on all my windows rather than have motion detectors as I have cats and dogs. If a salesperson tells you cats don't jump they are lying!

Top Bottom