Home alarm companies

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading our home alarm system. Did some research and see that a few have disappeared a few of the known bad ones have changed names and so on. Looking to see what you guys and gals recommend. Install, service, response, things to get, things not worth having and so on.

Thanks!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
dog-mean.jpg

Need I say more?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have ADT at home and over the last 4 years the service has been great at troubleshooting problems that have come up. Haven't had a break in so can;t comment on the response for that.
At work we run Telsco, again they are good to deal with.

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have alarmforce. They have been great, i actually set the alarm off on accident this weekend and they responded immediatly. They run wirelessy through ur telephone line, installation is free with a 3yr contract. We paid an xtra 50 to have a keychain remote and it makes it really simple.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Alarm Force is literally the joke of the entire industry and their 25 year old technologies can go packing along with Joel Matlin. If you want a real system, get hard wired with a DSC 1832 or DSC 1864 panel and add some things like RF transmitters, LED status lights, and partition the zones where you secure your toys so their almost always armed (i.e. garage or shop).

I own Security Firms in both Calgary and Edmonton (Contract Security Inc.) and I'm a Journeyman CPL who's been doing this for nearly 30 years now. I'll give you all the free advice you want on the best ways to secure your home, your toys, and your properties from both a physical and or electronic perspective, and the advice is free. My company website is linked above and includes all of my contact info.

Hope this helps you out.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alarm Force is literally the joke of the entire industry and their 25 year old technologies can go packing along with Joel Matlin. If you want a real system, get hard wired with a DSC 1832 or DSC 1864 panel and add some things like RF transmitters, LED status lights, and partition the zones where you secure your toys so their almost always armed (i.e. garage or shop).

I own Security Firms in both Calgary and Edmonton (Contract Security Inc.) and I'm a Journeyman CPL who's been doing this for nearly 30 years now. I'll give you all the free advice you want on the best ways to secure your home, your toys, and your properties from both a physical and or electronic perspective, and the advice is free. My company website is linked above and includes all of my contact info.

Hope this helps you out.

Sounds great......and expensive. I"m sure hard wiring is a good idea, but isn't it expensive compared to the wirelss systems? Who does your monitoring and comes to the home in the event of an alarm? Current system has some hard wiring and ironically the panel is a DSC . You have a PM.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Sounds great......and expensive. I"m sure hard wiring is a good idea, but isn't it expensive compared to the wirelss systems? Who does your monitoring and comes to the home in the event of an alarm? Current system has some hard wiring and ironically the panel is a DSC . You have a PM.

Good security isn't exactly cheap, but doesn't need to be expensive either. It all starts with good physical security such as high security locks on the doors, reinforced door frames, and then the compliment of an electronic security system. The better the electronic system, the harder it is to defeat or circumvent! The physical part if done right should keep thieves on the outside, and the electronic portion is to alert others to a break in, or alert you to a breach when secured in the home.

A good basic alarm system can run between $695 in a smaller home, and basically sits between $1200.00 to $1500 in a larger 1600/1800 sq' home. Adding bells and whistles only adds to the cost but some of the wireless features today really allow us to do some great things like open the overhead doors on the garage/shop or add wireless devices in areas where wires cannot be run. Patitioning the alarm to keep some areas secured while not occupied is another smart way to secure garages and or work shops, and this is a wise practice in todays world.

When we deal with wireless, we're running the higher end devices and communications modules, not the simple install it and forget it system that are out there for the entry level homes. Hardwired systems allow a lot more flexability not to mention device connections, and these systems when installed correctly are very hard to beat. If you are concerned about phone lines, you can then add GSM backup devices, but again they come with added costs to install and monitor separately.

Our systems are monitored by our own dedicated receivers in a National ULC rated station, and responses are customised to each customer where you can have your own key holder service, guard response and/or police dispatch upon alarm. If one approaches security in layers and includes good locks (and we're not talking Weiser or the cheap import locks from Home Depot) and secured windows where required, you can effectively eliminate most if not all threats from break ins.

Like anything, there is the simple, the mid grade, or the extreme method, and my being a Certified Master Locksmith by trade has me securing everything to the nines. Some say it's overkill, but what I say is "whatever is mine is mine" and I have never lost anything due to the way I secure my assets. I have insurance like everyone else, but my rates are low, never had a theft, and plan to keep it that way. :)

Advice is always free, and if anyone wants some good advice, I am always a simple phone call away.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
As I pointed out..I'm happy with Alarmforce...they provide the service they advertise, recognizing the service is limited. That being said I'm building a house and will be moving two a wired system and will be seeking consolation from a company like yours.

Bells, whistles, lights or signs...none of these STOP the perpetrator from breaking in...it's the systems reaction once they do.

AliGujjar

Reaction score
I would like to let everyone know that Alarm Force is a great security provider. Both of my parents are far into their retirement and their age seems to be holding them back. They have difficulty walking up and down the stairs and have little to no means of protecting themselves. Unfortunately, their next door neighbor’s home has recently been broken into so I decided to purchase them a security system. The representative gave me a perfect package deal where the system was thoroughly explained to my parents and they could call a representative at any time for more assistance. Above all, it is great knowing that I don’t have to worry about their safety since they are finally protected and secure in their home.
Thank you Alarm Force!

Last edited:

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
for our house down south we have vivint. (not sure if we have it up here)

got the iphone app (alarm.com) which is handy.... cant do a few things alarm/disarm/activation history/changing temp

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to let everyone know that Alarm Force is a great security provider. Both of my parents are far into their retirement and their age seems to be holding them back. They have difficulty walking up and down the stairs and have little to no means of protecting themselves. Unfortunately, their next door neighbor’s home has recently been broken into so I decided to purchase them a security system. The representative gave me a perfect package deal where the system was thoroughly explained to my parents and they could call a representative at any time for more assistance. Above all, it is great knowing that I don’t have to worry about their safety since they are finally protected and secure in their home.
Thank you Alarm Force!

well have to say that the above post looks like spam to me, just joined (my guess is joined today) and first post in recommending Alarm force

the post is also a copy and paste from a different site based on the format

but then again i could be completely wrong

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well have to say that the above post looks like spam to me, just joined (my guess is joined today) and first post in recommending Alarm force

the post is also a copy and paste from a different site based on the format

but then again i could be completely wrong

i agree! that was my initial thought as well

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know..... Voxcom has me shaking my head. I had a fire in my house in may. I came home to find my house full of smoke and alarms blaring. I Some how managed to call the fire in before Voxcom did. I never rec'd an initial call from them, as per requested protocol. So fire dept is on scene putting out my fire and Voxcom finally calls me advising of a 2nd alarm coming from my home. I tried to explain to the caller that I was already aware of the fire as I am there the F'D is there and EMS and RCMP are here too. She couldn't seem to comprehend what I was telling her that my house was actually on fire. "0h well our policy is to call if a 2nd alarm comes in with in 15 minutes, so that is what I am doing" she says. Out of frustration I thank her for her service and hang up on her. I called them a few days later to find out how I could call in the fire before them and I wasn't even home at the time of the alarm. They told me they tried calling me but got no answer. Upon further exploration they had my old cell number that I called them to cancel 6 months before. They had my new cell on file but never called it. To me they seemed poor on competence, comprehension, and service. I am seriously reconsidering my alarm co after I am done dealing with insurance and fire damage. And don't get me going on the insurance co either.... That is another fiasco......

Top Bottom