Holy cow are Etecs good on fuel!!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out with my brother for the first time, my on my 2010 and him on his xm. We went back to American lake up the summit here which is quite a long ride in. I havent filled up my sled yet but guessing that I need half a tank or so. We topped his up yesterday morning. 6 LITRES!! I couldnt believe it. And I burped the tank a bunch of times thinking there was a mistake. Im guessing it is a good 25 miles each way (I could be off a bit), plus the little bit of playing we did. We went up there to ice fish so we didnt do a tonne of playing. 6 litres!

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got 200 km on a 40L tank (no reserve) once .. 85% fast trail riding and 15% playing on the hills

then again I've also burned the same 40L of fuel in 45K on a deep pow pow day :D

I'd much rather do the latter day after day

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes, it is very noticeable.

When I had the SnowTrails TV guy out, he was on a 2012 M8. We virtually did the same ride with mine being a few kms more. The M8 used 11.8 liters and the 2013 XM used 6.2 liters. Just about twice as much for that day.

I will agree, the more WOT the more fuel and oil. I think they can cut the oil reservoir in half for next year.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Was out with my brother for the first time, my on my 2010 and him on his xm. We went back to American lake up the summit here which is quite a long ride in. I havent filled up my sled yet but guessing that I need half a tank or so. We topped his up yesterday morning. 6 LITRES!! I couldnt believe it. And I burped the tank a bunch of times thinking there was a mistake. Im guessing it is a good 25 miles each way (I could be off a bit), plus the little bit of playing we did. We went up there to ice fish so we didnt do a tonne of playing. 6 litres!

How much did the 2010 800 use?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much did the 2010 800 use?

I still have to fill it up. But just going by my fuel guage I am guessing in the neighborhood of 15-20 litres. I did do quite a bit more riding than him so not really apples to apples. I just couldnt believe we could go on that long of a ride on 6 litres of fuel.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep they are pretty good on fuel. Usually burn about 20l in 45 miles on the hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a big Prairie rally. End of the day everyone had used their jerry cans and were lined up at the fuel stop desperate for fuel...except the etecs. Their jerry cans were still full and they (including me) were just waiting for their buddies.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deaner.... I've seen you ride.. You likely use more gas than most.. Lol.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a xm same milage and riding. I put in 25 liters he put in 11 liters
I was impressed. Thinking of going to an e tec just for that.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a xm same milage and riding. I put in 25 liters he put in 11 liters
I was impressed. Thinking of going to an e tec just for that.

So looking at your list of toys, you're comparing the new e-tec to a 2005 King Cat???

Really??

What were in those king cats?? 900's??

Not really a close comparison is it?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got 200 km on a 40L tank (no reserve) once .. 85% fast trail riding and 15% playing on the hills

then again I've also burned the same 40L of fuel in 45K on a deep pow pow day :D

I'd much rather do the latter day after day

hmmmm really I have been flat out in blower POW with 100kms on the odo and about 25 of that on the trail at medium to heavey speed and it only took 30 litres?

I dont think a person could drain that tank in under 80-90 kms I just dont see how it can happen I am on my second etec I have been at 140 kms and only 33 litres to fill... Are you sure it was only 45kms on a tank???

these etecs are great on fuel for sure

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So looking at your list of toys, you're comparing the new e-tec to a 2005 King Cat???

Really??

What were in those king cats?? 900's??

Not really a close comparison is it?

I rode with newer 800s not much difference in fuel comsumption.
None were less than half what I used
I also had a 09 Assault which got a little better than my 900.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done it in chapel creek with 4 feet of snow and 60km trail ride LOL. Only happens once a year

ya he said 45kms dead empty? I dont think so... your saying a 60km trail and how much POW riding and the total km's for the day were? even 60km's is a bit more realistic talking KM's here. thats a 25% increase over his report lol

not a big deal just dont see how its possible

white rad

Reaction score
I have consistently run my XM out of fuel in 48-52 miles breaking trail in deep pow. Fuel tank always burped and filled to the top, and it actually dies from running out. My oil also goes from the 3/4 mark to 1/4 mark on these days. No way can they cut the oil tank down in size unless its for the trail sleds only. The E-tek does get great mileage on the trail but if you actually ride deep pow in the mountains don't think you are going to save any $$ on fuel and oil...

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you must have deeper powder than we ever seen, never ran out in 50 miles with the ptec and the etec is 25 percent better... If you ever hook up a a/f gauge to one you will see where there mileage comes from, on our last trip we had two pops with us and after two days riding they had used 30 litres more than etecs.... Was the joke for the night

I have consistently run my XM out of fuel in 48-52 miles breaking trail in deep pow. Fuel tank always burped and filled to the top, and it actually dies from running out. My oil also goes from the 3/4 mark to 1/4 mark on these days. No way can they cut the oil tank down in size unless its for the trail sleds only. The E-tek does get great mileage on the trail but if you actually ride deep pow in the mountains don't think you are going to save any $$ on fuel and oil...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you will save in comparison to another brand. they would have already went through a jerry can before yours runs out.

Top Bottom