Holly crap is it cold!!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no idea, there were no outside temp gauges in trucks in those days, very few people carried thermometers, a few surveyors maybe. relied on others whether it was true or not. all ya had to go on.

i personally hate hearing windchill temps, don't mean much, other than down at brooks.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
coldest temperature recorded in alberta, and can be verified was -78f in ft vermillion, jan 11-1911

wood stove would have needed a fur coat? no idea how you would be able to heat a shack back then.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
i personally hate hearing windchill temps, don't mean much, other than down at brooks.

I'm with you on that one. Wind chill is just another way for the media to sensationalize their "news"........I also hate listening to the radio and every second time the DJ talks it is about the frigid weather. It is what it is and plain and simple, dress for it and whatever every else one has to do outside.

There are some days, I wish I had my parka but a few layers under the down jacket and wind pants seem to do the trick.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no idea, there were no outside temp gauges in trucks in those days, very few people carried thermometers, a few surveyors maybe. relied on others whether it was true or not. all ya had to go on.

30 years ago before they came out with fancy digital outside temp units I used a Trend Instruments gauge on my mirror arm. seen it go well past the -40 mark more than a few times

trend_zpsnvkys0jx.jpg

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were poor survey types back then! Around nov 1? Or so we would be heading up towards high level, or thereabouts for a 2 week or so well program, would usually be there till mid march, No wonder survey types were heavy drinkers back then

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting observation with the outside temp gauges on long drives is the temp fluctuations as i drive up n down the roads of Alberta, can be double digits every few kms or so

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-30 right now but feels like -37 in Sparwood as per the weather network. I say it feels like crap!. At this rate I may not even go outside today. Lots of firewood stacked inside so that's taken care off.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-28 and calm in the upper Elk Valley. I'll say it again, this cold spell can f-off anytime!

it is cold -28, supposed to start warming up! will see. have a coffee, plan a few rides all will be good. ur lucky you can pick and choose when to ride? me at -28, coffee shop would be my choice, i'm done with freezing my butt off, too!

have a good day Doug!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
-24 feels like -32 on the SE of Cowtown

Had the Ford plugged in for about 16 hours and it was a struggle for it to start...... I've had enough of this bs too

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent the day in the garage yesterday putting my sons new snowbike together. Took all friggin' day for it to be comfortable in there! Small garage with a wood stove. Usually takes an hour! What the he!! happened to that global warming thing?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent the day in the garage yesterday putting my sons new snowbike together. Took all friggin' day for it to be comfortable in there! Small garage with a wood stove. Usually takes an hour! What the he!! happened to that global warming thing?
obviously you need more firewood!!! sneek over to Dougie D's and load a few sticks up, he won't notice, he always has lots!!! when ever we go past Sparwood i always put up a sign "free firewood" with address. people love it!!!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
obviously you need more firewood!!! sneek over to Dougie D's and load a few sticks up, he won't notice, he always has lots!!! when ever we go past Sparwood i always put up a sign "free firewood" with address. people love it!!!!

Ya, but the lazy azz doesn't split it before he stacks it! How inconsiderate! :D

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Insulation is your friend! Either that or a bigger stove! But then again, you would have to cut more wood........................tough decisions for a guy about to retire, eh!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ya, but the lazy azz doesn't split it before he stacks it! How inconsiderate! :D

Split every day with the maul. That way I feel the arms get a little exercise throughout the winter. Some logs I do wish I had a splitter but the wedge and sledge work quite well also.

As for imdoo'm trying to get people to my wood pile, that is interesting.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insulation is your friend! Either that or a bigger stove! But then again, you would have to cut more wood........................tough decisions for a guy about to retire, eh!

A retired guy could just wait till it warmed up 15 degrees! That's what I'm gonna do with my bike. Kyle's needed a fair bit of modification with my lathe on his days off, so I suffered through. Either that or my lathe was gonna end up in Sparwood. My stuff never seems to come back from there. :hmm:

Top Bottom