HERO SNOW ???

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We seem to be doing more SAR call outs in the past 2 weeks. Luckly no Snow And Mud members so far and I would like to keep it that way. Just because the snow is set up so you can climb anywhere doesn't mean that it made you a better rider. A number of guys have taken that notion to heart and we are have to go and extracat them from the mountain.
Please ride within your ability as i don't like to have to have come and get you and haul your broken --- of the hill in a skimmer.
Be smart and play safe.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone likes to try and be a hero. Good words and remember guys and gals no one wants to take you home in a body bag or in a body cast.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Thanks bbtoys and I (we) appreciate all the hard work that you guy's doo for SAR. I felt for you guy's Saturday night. In the dark and a whiteout snowstorm having to head back up to the cabin for a rescue after riding all day. Hats off to you hard core mofo's.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
SOME BOYS WERE UP RIDING IN LUCILLE SATURDAY MORNING, AND HAD SOME SLED TROUBLES, SO THEY PACKED UP AND WENT TO RIDENHIDE FOR REPAIRS... MID AFTERNOON THEY LEFT PAUL'S PLACE AND WENT UP INTO RENSHAW, AND THE VERY FIRST RUN WAS UP THE HILLCLIMB BESIDE THE CABIN THROUGH THE LITTLE TREES AND HE HIT ROCK AND SHOT HIM OFF 40+FEET... THE GUY HAD A BROKEN HIP, AND THEY KEPT HIM UP UNTIL AFTER THE GROOMER CAME UP AND SMOOTHED OUT THE TRAIL.... WE WENT DOWN THE TRAIL ABOUT 8:30/9:00 PM AND IT WAS VERY VERY ROUGH AT THAT TIME, SO THEY NEEDED SMOOTHER TRAILS BEFORE THEY BROUGHT THE GUY OUT ON A SKIMMER, SO WAITED UNTIL IT WAS GROOMED......... EARLIER IN THE DAY, A YOUNG LADY(MEMBER OF THE FT. SASK. SNOW ANGEL'S) HIT AN ICE CHUNK ON THE WAY UP RENSHAW AND SHE WENT OVER THE EDGE INTO A TREE AND PRETTY MUCH WROTE OFF THE SLED, AND WE HELPED PULL THE SLED UP THE EMBANKMENT(ABOUT 20+ FEET)- PRETTY MUCH WRECKED THE REST OF THEIR TRIP. THAT EVENING, ONE OF THE BOYS IN OUR GROUP(CAME WITH SUMX54) WAS CRUISING DOWN THE VERY, VERY ROUGH RENSHAW TRAIL AND DEVELOPED A SPEEDWOBBLE AND ENDO'D HIS SLED AND BROKE HIS COLLAR BONE(LENGTHWISE).... WE HELPED HIM PACK EVERYTHING BACK UP AND HE MADE A VERY SLOW TRIP THE REST OF THE WAY(LUCKILY HE WAS DOWN TO KM 6 WHEN IT HAPPENED).... IT WAS QUITE AN EVENTFUL WEEKEND.........

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've been busy.... Ric..

Did you get any sledding in yourself?

Happy to hear these incidents weren't worse....

SOME BOYS WERE UP RIDING IN LUCILLE SATURDAY MORNING, AND HAD SOME SLED TROUBLES, SO THEY PACKED UP AND WENT TO RIDENHIDE FOR REPAIRS... MID AFTERNOON THEY LEFT PAUL'S PLACE AND WENT UP INTO RENSHAW, AND THE VERY FIRST RUN WAS UP THE HILLCLIMB BESIDE THE CABIN THROUGH THE LITTLE TREES AND HE HIT ROCK AND SHOT HIM OFF 40+FEET... THE GUY HAD A BROKEN HIP, AND THEY KEPT HIM UP UNTIL AFTER THE GROOMER CAME UP AND SMOOTHED OUT THE TRAIL.... WE WENT DOWN THE TRAIL ABOUT 8:30/9:00 PM AND IT WAS VERY VERY ROUGH AT THAT TIME, SO THEY NEEDED SMOOTHER TRAILS BEFORE THEY BROUGHT THE GUY OUT ON A SKIMMER, SO WAITED UNTIL IT WAS GROOMED......... EARLIER IN THE DAY, A YOUNG LADY(MEMBER OF THE FT. SASK. SNOW ANGEL'S) HIT AN ICE CHUNK ON THE WAY UP RENSHAW AND SHE WENT OVER THE EDGE INTO A TREE AND PRETTY MUCH WROTE OFF THE SLED, AND WE HELPED PULL THE SLED UP THE EMBANKMENT(ABOUT 20+ FEET)- PRETTY MUCH WRECKED THE REST OF THEIR TRIP. THAT EVENING, ONE OF THE BOYS IN OUR GROUP(CAME WITH SUMX54) WAS CRUISING DOWN THE VERY, VERY ROUGH RENSHAW TRAIL AND DEVELOPED A SPEEDWOBBLE AND ENDO'D HIS SLED AND BROKE HIS COLLAR BONE(LENGTHWISE).... WE HELPED HIM PACK EVERYTHING BACK UP AND HE MADE A VERY SLOW TRIP THE REST OF THE WAY(LUCKILY HE WAS DOWN TO KM 6 WHEN IT HAPPENED).... IT WAS QUITE AN EVENTFUL WEEKEND.........

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had him at the hospital at 2:30 in the am. Long nite for 2 of us from SAR as we had ridn all day and had been up since 5:30 the morning before. Be careful up there.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I do not. The bonus is when I don't have to haul anybody off, I get to go to bed a decent time.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

WOW... I seen alot of misshaps on sleds over the past 20 plus years but I have never heard of a speed wobble on a sled?? :D I know it hapens on a bike? Sounds more like a combination of too much speed and courage on a well pounded out trail? Hope the collar bone heals well. I've broken that bone twice in my life time and it is NO FUN.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SPEED wooble hmmmmm....
ya me too Scotty, broke my collar bone twice as well! but I figure its twice as strong now, thats what the DOC told me, after a year usually the colar bone is stronger than new, well its twice as thick now so I think its pretty strong.
Damn hard pak makes it tough on every one!
good post ride safe and within your LIMITS.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SPEED wooble hmmmmm....
ya me too Scotty, broke my collar bone twice as well! but I figure its twice as strong now, thats what the DOC told me, after a year usually the colar bone is stronger than new, well its twice as thick now so I think its pretty strong.
Damn hard pak makes it tough on every one!
good post ride safe and within your LIMITS.

JohnI Blaze... LOL... My left collar bone is as thick as my wrist!! The last time I had it Xrayed the nurse said it looked like a "W" :) After the second break it healed crooked but way stronger as you have experienced as well. Still bugs me some times though. Nasty bone to let heal when broken... :mad:

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never been able to figure out what the big deal is about making it down the mountin in 5 minutes is all about....??

The last time I was on Renshaw (Feb 18th).... the same group of sledders pasted my brother inlaw and myself 3 times on the way down..... They were going like hell... then stopping to cool and lube their sliders..... while we kept the same speed... at the bottom they were still loading their sleds when we got down.. so what was accomplished by going 80 or 90 km/hr down hill....??

I don't know about everyone else... but at the end of the day... I'm bagged from having fun up top.... Secondly, reflexes slow as you become tired... another reason why I don't speed going down... I'm never sure what's around the next corner... and I don't presume to know... until I've passed it...

The other issue with not maintaining a constant speed is how chewed up the trails get in both directions.... there seems to be a large portion of the sledding population that figure they need to gun their engine and spin their tracks around each curve and over every little hump or dip in the trail... this does nothing but destroy the trail.... and make everyone elses ride up and back rougher than.....hell!

I've got nothing against speed and testing your machine... just save it for the mountain and all those gorgeous untouched slopes.... with sweet powder...

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said And hey if we can all have a beer after a good day of riding and everyone gets down the hill in one peice then that beer tastes that much better then sitting in an emergency room.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Summitric
I helped the (Snow Angel ) hows she doin'?

Did you post the pics?

SHE'S BANGED UP, AND SORE.... BROKEN TOOTH, BUT HER RIBS ARE OKAY. SEVERAL CUTS/SCRAPES, AND SHE WAS RATTLED PRETTY GOOD. THANKS FOR PITCHING IN AND HELPING A FELLOW SLEDDER..... SEE THE PICS IN ANOTHER LINK TITLED "TRAIL MISHAP" BY RKNIGHT111....

Top Bottom