help with flooding cold

xpsledneck

Reaction score
I am trying to fix my friends sled and am scratching my head a bit here.
Problem: when starting the sled cold it floods bad fuel coming out of the exhaust and lots of it.
once you get the sled running it runns great idles fine rpm rainge is good no bogging, if you shut it off to take a break it starts up right away no problems
but after sitting over night go to start the sled in the morning and it floods.
changes: the sled ran great last year no problems with it at all the only thing changed from last year to this year is the reads. we put boison reeds in it other than that no changes.
Checked: I have pulled the carbs off the sled an gone through them checking and cleaning the float bouls and needle/seat even blew through the seat and
checked for the needle to seat properly. i have also adjusted the choke cable a bit so it dosent open the choke as far.
give me some thoughts guys i am thinking maybe the fuel pump or reeds but because the sled runs so good other than the cold start up it so i am left scratching my head.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would make sure that the float are shutting the fuel off going into the card. Another idea is all of your vent line open? Your fuel tank may be pressuring up and pushing fuel into the carbs.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Another idea is all of your vent line open? Your fuel tank may be pressuring up and pushing fuel into the carbs"

Im thinking this is along the right road. Do you happen to be trailering (open deck) when this happens? My 01 RMK had an issue like this too, my solution was simply shut the fuel off while trailering.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that it will do it just sitting in my garage over night. also that the first thing i checked was the tank vent as i thought it might be freezing up to. i have tried starting the sled cold with the fuel cap off so to eliminate any tank pressure issuses. it only does it when you try to start it. i guess i will order some needles and seats.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of sled are you talking about.i had a older sled with a primer which was causing a flooding problem when the sled was parked.the primer was letting fuel through and into the carbs which bypasses the needle and seat,the engine would fill up and be flooded,if you have a primer disconnect the line and see if it floods out

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of sled are you talking about.i had a older sled with a primer which was causing a flooding problem when the sled was parked.the primer was letting fuel through and into the carbs which bypasses the needle and seat,the engine would fill up and be flooded,if you have a primer disconnect the line and see if it floods out

Good call on the primer. IF it is not that it sounds like a classic stuck float symptom.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that it will do it just sitting in my garage over night. also that the first thing i checked was the tank vent as i thought it might be freezing up to. i have tried starting the sled cold with the fuel cap off so to eliminate any tank pressure issuses. it only does it when you try to start it. i guess i will order some needles and seats.
the needle and seats will only be an issue when the sled is running and fuel is being fed into the float bowls by the pump. with the engine off and sitting, there should be no pressure forcing fuel past the needle seat. if it were a seat/needle issue, fuel would be pouring out the overflow vents while the sled is running. the primer deal sounds very plausible if the sled is so equipped, is there some sort of altitude compensator on the sled?

Top Bottom