help on deciding career

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
enjoy life for a year or.....more, lots of time to get a career

work until you have enough cash to travel around the world and you will soon find out what you want to do.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to be outdoors a lot i would suggest looking into an envronmental science course at Lakeland college in vermilion. My brother, my wife and I all took the same course and we are all environmental consultants. Its a growing industry and like saftey, its not going away. I have my own limited company which means you can write off sleds and quads for work and all the fuel and maintenence.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some of my work pictures. I love my job!

Attachments

• Celtic 004.jpg
    Celtic 004.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Deer 5.jpg
    Deer 5.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Moose 2.jpg
    Moose 2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Z71 4x4 (Small).JPG
    Z71 4x4 (Small).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 00 008.jpg
    00 008.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 205
  • At work.jpg
    At work.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 198
  • At work 4.jpg
    At work 4.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 888.jpg
    888.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 199

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a sweet gig man. Although its not fun being out on the quad when its -30

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is like the fourth thread of "OMG JUST FINISHED HIGHSCHOOL WHAT SHOULD I DO!"

Hahaha for real.

When I came out of school I thought I wanted to be a cook, realized it didn't pay for $h!t. I thought, I want to be a framer, working in +30 sweating my bag off. I decided I wanted to fix stuff so I went and worked in a shop pulling wrench, realized I only like to wrench on my stuff as a hobby.

Why the life story?

I thought I knew what I wanted to do but you don't know till you try. It's not how much you make but how you invest it, let your money work for you. See too many young guys racking up debt because they want the biggest truck, fastest sled and most powerful quad.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Hahaha for real.

See too many young guys racking up debt because they want the biggest truck, fastest sled and most powerful quad.

I'm fackin old and I still want all that stuff but cant afford it!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are lots of careers one can take but one piece of advice I can give you is that ALL doors will be open to you provided that you dont fall into huge debt when your young. Nothing like having several bank payments each month forcing you to go to work to pay them off. Debts restrict your flexibility to try new jobs and potential careers. Good luck!

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hye everyone, i am now graduated and am not really sure what i want to do.
i want to be working out doors, well quite a bit at least, i dont want to be trapped in an office or shop all day. somethng that would pay good(doesnt have to start off big wages but after time) doesnt matter if i have to go to school but nothing more then 4 or 5 years. and hopefully a good work scedual(extra time off in winter:rolleyes: haha)

i was just hoping some people on here could maybe set me in a good direction. doesnt matter where the work takes me. so if you got some input please say, thanks

Insurance Adjuster
I can't find a warm body to train right now and the variety of things we deal with is endless.
Property losses, commercial and residential, auto, oilfield, Farm.
Can't think of too much I haven't had an exposure to, other than trains and planes.
Monday to Friday, travel and office are a good mix with well above average income. If you're interested in Construction, Machinery, a little bit of Law, might be something that intests you.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got into the trades right after highschool, a carpenter/scaffolder to be exact, then i moved over to a general labourer..I had no idea what I wanted to do for a career and I didn't want to waste my money or parents money on goign to school for something I wouldn't end up enjoying.. I made great money in the trades while I was young, but I never did find what I was looking for so I got out of construction and I somehow landed a wicked job with one of the largest companies in Canada.. (ATCO)> i still have no post-secondary education but I have a good job and work for a great company... however I know and work with a lot of engineers... environmental, mechanical, civil... it seems there is a ton of work in these fields and especially with companies like ATCO. These people seem to really love their careers. I also know a young guy here who just finished his chemical engineering..he loves it. You can never go wrong with an engineering degree, there are many to choose from...unfortunately they are for the most part office/paper jobs but these people also do a lot of field work too..travelling to sites etc to do some field work. If you land a secure job with a big engineering company you usually get great benefits, and lots of paid vacation..

Or you could consider taking a business degree a long with some consulting and doing something you want to do, as mentioned previous become an environmental consultant and run your own consulting firm....

but pick something that interests you, not what other people think are great careers because it all comes down to what you want to do. When I graduated my highschool offered career consulting sessions, help you to figure out what you may be interested in and what suits you... there are people who offer services like this and if you are so unsure maybe you should consider talking to them...

Good luck with your hunt!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I gree with RK on the environmental/Hygiene thing....

But my advise would be to pursue a university degree in it.... maybe not right away but sooner than later.

All Programs - University of Alberta Extension

thru the UofA faculty of extension you can take courses evening and weekends so you can work at the same time and over time those credits will turn into certificates and degrees. UBC offers distance learning so instead of posting on S&M you can get smart....

Don't listen to the "waste your time learning chit you'll never need" education is NEVER wasted... I have 12 years practical field experience in OH&S I can put more letters after my name than most doctors with all the certifications, industry specific training, Gold seal CHSC crap... yet someone with a bachleors degree in environmental science or OH&S which is not available in AB and an 18 day NCSO certificate from the ACSA will probably get any job over me... a University Degree is never a waste....and in this day in age you don't have to go to school full time for 4 years to get one, I work full time have 4 kids, 2 dogs, horses and volunteer and still make time for school at 35 years old...

Another benefit to part time studies is that you pay for each course as you take it and don't wind up with student loan debt.

Just my 2 cents...

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I wasted a couple years at college taking courses that I had no hope of passing, fighting what those aptitude tests told me. Once I let go and switched into one of the career paths recommended, I never looked back. I love what I do for a living.

High school career counsellors, post secondary institutions, probably even EI offices all have a computer where you can spend a few hours answering questions, then they recommend a huge list of career choices based on your answers. A bit of a time investment, but anyone I know who did the test, found it pretty bang on.

Good luck, with your "market research" and with your future! :beer:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get you power engineering certificates, 4th and/or 3rd class... Range from 1-2 years, can get it at alot of small colleges or NAIT/SAIT.

-Good pay
-High demand job with good future

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good carrier if your looking that there is not enough people in the field is a Industrial Hygienist / Environmental Consultant. Both do involve paperwork though. You spend time in the field and time in an office. You don't get stuck working outdoors in the weather. There is a shortage of people in this field of work these days, or its just tough to find good dedicated people that have some smarts that want to learn something. In the Industrial Hygienist you do hazmat studies, Asbestos testing and abatement monitoring, lead testing and abatement monitoring, Industrial Hygiene studies, Mould assessments and monitoring, and alot of other safety related issues. Safety and environmental awareness is getting to be a big thing and I don't thing this field wont be slowing down for years and its always busy.

Hey rknight, i'm certainly well out of highschool but am planning on getting into something a little better and easier on the body than what i'm doing right now.
How much schooling is involved in becoming an environmental consultant?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look into firefighting.

Uber88GT

Reaction score
If you are interested in bricklaying on commercial and industrial projects, let me know, I started out as a labourer 10 years ago and now work in the office looking after 15 million in work a year...we are always looking for guys!

IMG00006-20100511-1416.jpg

A little something I built at the Skills Canada Competition last year

Top Bottom