help on deciding career

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hye everyone, i am now graduated and am not really sure what i want to do.
i want to be working out doors, well quite a bit at least, i dont want to be trapped in an office or shop all day. somethng that would pay good(doesnt have to start off big wages but after time) doesnt matter if i have to go to school but nothing more then 4 or 5 years. and hopefully a good work scedual(extra time off in winter:rolleyes: haha)

i was just hoping some people on here could maybe set me in a good direction. doesnt matter where the work takes me. so if you got some input please say, thanks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i want to be working out doors, well quite a bit at least, i dont want to be trapped in an office or shop all day. somethng that would pay good(doesnt have to start off big wages but after time) doesnt matter if i have to go to school but nothing more then 4 or 5 years. and hopefully a good work scedual(extra time off in winter:rolleyes: haha)

i was just hoping some people on here could maybe set me in a good direction. doesnt matter where the work takes me. so if you got some input please say, thanks

Well I see your starting off in the right direction.....you're running a Doo. :d:beer:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When you get it figured out, let me know, cause I'm 40 and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.:d

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh and plus. i love working hard, cant stand just sitting/standing around

If you like working hard buy a stock Nytro......:d:beer: All kidding aside you have the right attitude to get somewhere in life. Make your mark at an early age and they will be banging down the door to hire you.;)

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
A good carrier if your looking that there is not enough people in the field is a Industrial Hygienist / Environmental Consultant. Both do involve paperwork though. You spend time in the field and time in an office. You don't get stuck working outdoors in the weather. There is a shortage of people in this field of work these days, or its just tough to find good dedicated people that have some smarts that want to learn something. In the Industrial Hygienist you do hazmat studies, Asbestos testing and abatement monitoring, lead testing and abatement monitoring, Industrial Hygiene studies, Mould assessments and monitoring, and alot of other safety related issues. Safety and environmental awareness is getting to be a big thing and I don't thing this field wont be slowing down for years and its always busy.

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good carrier if your looking that there is not enough people in the field is a Industrial Hygienist / Environmental Consultant. Both do involve paperwork though. You spend time in the field and time in an office. You don't get stuck working outdoors in the weather. There is a shortage of people in this field of work these days, or its just tough to find good dedicated people that have some smarts that want to learn something. In the Industrial Hygienist you do hazmat studies, Asbestos testing and abatement monitoring, lead testing and abatement monitoring, Industrial Hygiene studies, Mould assessments and monitoring, and alot of other safety related issues. Safety and environmental awareness is getting to be a big thing and I don't thing this field wont be slowing down for years and its always busy.

i was actually thinking something to do with environmental..
if you dont mind telling me of where i could get more info on an environmental consultant and where i could maybe start getting my foot in the door? thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont know if this will help im a bricklayer i also do all types of stone work. I have just started up a construction company with a friend who is the money guy. We will keep working hard to get the money behind us maybe a year or so to start building houses if you can get the skill and knowlage behind you. I would get in to that you do one the first year 2 the next and so on its hard work getting there but it will be worth it one day.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
i was actually thinking something to do with environmental..
if you dont mind telling me of where i could get more info on an environmental consultant and where i could maybe start getting my foot in the door? thank you very much

Go on Google and look up Environmental Consultant in your area, one that comes up is Matrix Solutions. And AMEC is large, AMEC | Consultancy, engineering, and project management services
Im sure there is alot more but as Saskatchewan grows in the oilfield industry this will become more popular. Im in the Hygienist field and we are very busy with Asbestos and Mould, Lead is the next big thing to start.

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go on Google and look up Environmental Consultant in your area, one that comes up is Matrix Solutions. And AMEC is large, AMEC | Consultancy, engineering, and project management services
Im sure there is alot more but as Saskatchewan grows in the oilfield industry this will become more popular. Im in the Hygienist field and we are very busy with Asbestos and Mould, Lead is the next big thing to start.

thanks! also what does the high school classes got to be like? is there specific classes i should have taken?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
thanks! also what does the high school classes got to be like? is there specific classes i should have taken?
You would have to check with the companies or check with your local secondary education facilities. Im actually a Carpenter by trade and worked my way through courses and experience to what I do today. Ive been through alot of courses all over and have many certifications in Mould, Hygiene and Asbestos

Another career that is short of skilled people is a Carpenter, on the radio the other day they were saying there is a shortage of Skilled Ticketed Carpenters in western Canada.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
also what school would be best to go to? nait?

Nait,

There are many at UofA.

Really the best way is to look it up online, then ask one of the big companies, tell them what your interested in and see if they can point you in the right direction. If your interested and they see that they may provide you with alot of direction.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I always said i wanted a job where I don't have to wear coveralls because it's the sweat off your back paying someones wage.....didn't go well took about 12 years of coveralls before I moved up now I sit in a nice air conditioned office and don't wanna ever go back.

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as I been telling my boys who are close to the same age as you, I understand that picking a career is a big deal but the most important thing is just to get started with something that interests you. Don't worry to much about it that it may not turn out to be what you want because as once you are working it gives you the financial means to choose something else at a later date. I see to many young kids trapped in unskilled jobs, girl friend get pregnant and can only barely make rent and trying to get to College or a technical school is really hard then. In my personal experience the training i received in technical school got me started down a certain path but great opportunities were presented to me that ultimately lead me to were I am today - i would never have guessed that I would end up doing what I do now when into technical school. Before starting any career find someone who does that job and hang out with them for a couple of weeks to get a good feel for what they do day to day, this can make a big difference to getting into some of these programs.

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think you kids need to start making decisions for yourselves instead of searching for someone on the internet to point you in the direction you want to go

go do and experience different things, start with what you like and go from there

this is like the fourth thread of "OMG JUST FINISHED HIGHSCHOOL WHAT SHOULD I DO!"

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you thought about road construction. seasonal work usually may till november, start out as a labour and before you know it they will be throwing you on equipment. lots of hours in the summer and pretty good money and all winter to sled. just a thought.

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You Say you like the out doors........... A "Park Warden" in Banff or Jasper National Park would be rewarding ! If only I was young again......lol. Good Luck in what you choose.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You Say you like the out doors........... A "Park Warden" in Banff or Jasper National Park would be rewarding ! If only I was young again......lol. Good Luck in what you choose.

you have to be able to speak french to get a job with the Feds

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do what interests you now, don't try and pick a career for life because the chances of you staying in the same career for life are slim to none.

Learn to manage your money, start a savings plan now and stick to it, this way you'll feel free to enjoy your life and not be forced to do a job, just for the money.

Again, do what interests you, it's not work if you enjoy it. ;)

Top Bottom