help...clutching? woes

Bigstick

Reaction score
i got an 11 pro 800 with 1300 miles, climbing in valemount it would only pull 76-7800, got 62 weights and put in new team green 140/330 spring, didnt seem to make any diff, never looked at secondary, figured it would still have factory mtn setting, belt sits up good in it, got high oct. chip in, other than that the motor ran flawlessly idk, any thoughts?

Luvinit

Reaction score
Mine was the same , it,s likely the heavy wet spring snow, was better lower down and before the sun hit it when we got up top.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '13 was the same in Forester Creek the other weekend.

Snow wasn't heavy but the elevation is so much higher up there than Revelstoke that you need less weight.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We saw that on our 600 this past weekend and simply switched to a Dayco belt for the remainder of the day and the RPM's came right back. Belts can change the RPM's by a couple hundred RPM. Easy way to deal with varying snow once you have it figured out.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We saw that on our 600 this past weekend and simply switched to a Dayco belt for the remainder of the day and the RPM's came right back. Belts can change the RPM's by a couple hundred RPM. Easy way to deal with varying snow once you have it figured out.

Yup, had the exact scenerio, changed the belt and went from 7300(ish)rpm back up to 8100rpm with a NEW belt change (had first swapped to spare belt that was used and did not improve anything, leave it in the truck for emergencies as that's all it's good for), running around the 7000-8000' elevation mark. But.. once I changed the belt had some serious squealing issues for a few hours.., might have to look at the secondary for wear??, (not looking to hijack the thread, but, any thoughts on serious belt squeal at idle?)

Bigstick

Reaction score
right on thx guys, guess i wasnt alone then lol, and it did seem to rev a bit better on trail up now that i think about it. never thought to change belt, it was sitting up nice and high in the secondary, but ill keep that in mind. guess ill have to start packing 60s in the spring lol

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, had the exact scenerio, changed the belt and went from 7300(ish)rpm back up to 8100rpm with a NEW belt change (had first swapped to spare belt that was used and did not improve anything, leave it in the truck for emergencies as that's all it's good for), running around the 7000-8000' elevation mark. But.. once I changed the belt had some serious squealing issues for a few hours.., might have to look at the secondary for wear??, (not looking to hijack the thread, but, any thoughts on serious belt squeal at idle?)
Your deflection is too tight, or the belt is thicker and has minimal clearance between the sheaves of the primary. This can be corrected by shimming the spider (time consuming & cost prohibitive, not done easily in the field), or simply increasing the belt deflection (easy, done anywhere, no cost involved). Replacement belts always have a tolerance +/- , so you either got one slightly thicker, or shorter then the stock belt. I make it a habit to purchase 2 belts at a time, and measure them at the store to ensure they are the correct length and thickness for my application - in the past I've measured 20 belts to get 2 that were closest to what was on the sled, and it doesn't matter who makes them, there will always be slight differences...

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a allen head threaded pin with a lock nut on the outside of your secondary clutch to adjust the belt deflection. This adjustment needs to be done anytime the belt is changed or as the belt wears itself narrower. Keeping the belt exactly sitting where it should be will help ensure proper rpm and performance [less heat].

Top Bottom