Clutch springs

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just switched out my stock clutch spring (140/330). Was planning on getting the blue/pink SLP spring (140/340) but it was back ordered for 3 weeks so I went with the bright green team spring (150/340). Took it for a 5 minute rip around home and noticed my rpm's stayed the same but my clutch would engage at 4300 rpm instead of 4000 and it felt like it had a bit more zip in the mid range powerband (5000-6500ish). When I had it to the bar I was pulling 8250 but with 10-62's in it.. I do plan on switching out my assault track as I picked up a pro rmk 155 track but with 62's in I figured I'd be pulling more than 8250 around home..? Still have to try it out in valemount and see how it is, may also try 60's..

just wondering if the SLP spring would be much different then the bright green team spring and what some guys are pulling for rpm's with the SLP spring and with what weights?

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran the blue / pink SLP spring last winter and it worked great for me. Problem is it sacks out quickly and still will break like the OEM springs. Going to try the Speedwerx black this year. Talked to a couple guys that have been running them and they don't break or sack out.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched to the SLP blue pink spring and their MTX weights, the weights reduced the belt to sheave clearance. The stock weights seem to run the side clearance at the outer edge of the spec, causing an abrupt engagement and more wear on the sheaves. I'm quite happy with this set up, seems to make it easier to stop and go, when your picking your way through a tough line.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I need educating. What are the advantages of higher engagement in the Mtns? I wondered if a 120-340 spring would work but that will lower engagement. Is this bad and why?

I know on flatland that is undesireable.... but when up high is it?

Jeffpro800

Reaction score
The clutches have an effective range of travel and effeciency that needs to be matched to the powerband of the engine. Early engagement on a mountain sled in mountain conditions has the potential to load up the engine and clutches at a low rpm where power is not at an optimal level.

Top Bottom