Clutching

Kpasichnyk

Reaction score
Curious on who's running what and what's working best in the secondary department. I've got a 2014 m8000 162 that's got a set of mds weights and a polaris 100/340 spring , and for a secondary setup I've got a 42/36P helix , with a dalton 165/285 green/silver spring . It has the factory spacer in it , and I'm running an 084 belt with 20/50 gearing from 2200-6000ft.

Now I'm not sure if the secondary setup is working as optimal as it should be . My clutches get a lot of black marks on them , secondary gets pretty damn warm to the touch , and it seems to kind of not up shift fast enough I guess you could say . Tons of belt dust everywhere, but Never blown a belt on it and I usually can get a about 1500km to a belt before it gets worn out.

I've been thinking of trying to go with a straight 36 helix , maybe from thunder products , and possibly a 170/270 speedwerx spring . From what I hear they seem to be ok.

Any other opinions on what to do ? Team secondary isn't in the budget , maybe torsional? I don't know .

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious on who's running what and what's working best in the secondary department. I've got a 2014 m8000 162 that's got a set of mds weights and a polaris 100/340 spring , and for a secondary setup I've got a 42/36P helix , with a dalton 165/285 green/silver spring . It has the factory spacer in it , and I'm running an 084 belt with 20/50 gearing from 2200-6000ft.

Now I'm not sure if the secondary setup is working as optimal as it should be . My clutches get a lot of black marks on them , secondary gets pretty damn warm to the touch , and it seems to kind of not up shift fast enough I guess you could say . Tons of belt dust everywhere, but Never blown a belt on it and I usually can get a about 1500km to a belt before it gets worn out.

I've been thinking of trying to go with a straight 36 helix , maybe from thunder products , and possibly a 170/270 speedwerx spring . From what I hear they seem to be ok.

Any other opinions on what to do ? Team secondary isn't in the budget , maybe torsional? I don't know .

Personaly I have not had any sucess this multi angle helix at elevation. They work great at 2000ft but not at 6000ft. (not for me) I would try a stock 36 should be cheap and easy to find. Then you can compare track speed and clutch temp. If your secondary is hot and has black marks it is not working as good as it can. 1500 km is not horible but there is a lot more to be had, I expect 3000 km or more on my 2016 M8K. Venting will help cool things down also, but i would fix the isues first. The torsional setup work well I am told no first hand experience, kind of pricey half way to a Team. I will say the Team clutches in my sled do work well the belt stays cool and slightly warm to the touch 100f or so.

Kpasichnyk

Reaction score
I did find a 36* helix for 40$ , so I'll slap that in and try that out . Might try 20/49 gearing with it. I like the way the primary works so I don't really want to mess with that.

Still on the fence on what spring to try in the secondary. Stock , run the dalton 265/285 again, speedwerx 170/270, or something else...

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock is 202 to 284. I believe the springs are to stiff on the Cats its their one size fits all. I know on the M-series the same spring was used from a 500 cc to the 1000cc. It works but not very good, I have had good success in the past going with a softer spring. Performance went up, belt life increased win win. With the MDS weights in the primary I would try a lighter spring and you can adjust the RPM if required. The 170 /270 might be a good place to start, there are a lot of factors involved here gearing, rider weight , conditions, sled setup etc.

I checked my 16 and it came with 85-255 and 180-240 in the driven

Last edited:
Top Bottom