Help - 08 Yamaha Venture MP

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
First time rider, first time reader... LOL

I went to the snowmobile show in Saskatoon as I happened to be in Regina for work. When I came back to Calgary I went out and bought a sled.... I got a 2008 Yamaha Venture MP as I am looking to only do trail riding.....

OK, now on to the reason for my post....

I just bought this sled, the guy from the dealership put it up on a brand new trailer, he started it and it ran fine, it is +1 outside so it is not freezing cold, I have had it a month now and not started it even once..... I travel allot and just have not yet found the time.

Anyways tomorrow I want to go out for the first time. So I got out and put on the saddle bags and tank bag and was putting the plate on it.... I decided to start it for the hell of it. (Good thing I did) as the damn thing will not start. It turns over fast and good and strong.... but will not fire at all. I gave it some trottle and I got a small back fire but nothing else, it just sits there and turns over and over.....

What am I missing?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I went to the snowmobile show in Saskatoon as I happened to be in Regina for work. When I came back to Calgary I went out and bought a sled.... I got a 2008 Yamaha Venture MP as I am looking to only do trail riding.....

I just bought this sled, the guy from the dealership put it up on a brand new trailer, he started it and it ran fine, it is +1 outside so it is not freezing cold, I have had it a month now and not started it even once..... I travel allot and just have not yet found the time.

Anyways tomorrow I want to go out for the first time. So I got out and put on the saddle bags and tank bag and was putting the plate on it.... I decided to start it for the hell of it. (Good thing I did) as the damn thing will not start. It turns over fast and good and strong.... but will not fire at all. I gave it some trottle and I got a small back fire but nothing else, it just sits there and turns over and over.....

What am I missing?
Fuel? Do ventures have a tether? Fuel shutoff?

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
Fuel is half full...... No tether, there is a kill switch, but it is not on, when it is on the skidoo will not even turn over.......

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel is half full...... No tether, there is a kill switch, but it is not on, when it is on the skidoo will not even turn over.......

Anyone know if the Venture has a fuel shutoff valve under the hood somewhere?

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
Bought 10.00 of more fuel (just in case my gage is not working, however it is brand new). And still nothing, turned it over sop many time the battery is pretty much dead.... And nothing, will not turn over.

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
Kill switch is off, it will not even turn over if it was not.......

I called the dealer, they told me to put some gas line antifreeze in it and see if the fuel line was frozen..... I put some in today, leaving it over night to see if that works......

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
I was just outside and it still will not start... The guy from the dealer told me to leave if for a few hours (3-4) and I have left it for 7 hours.......

I am not a happy camper.... Anyone want to buy a brand new sled with a dual trailer?

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi jason back in the house crazy hey does it have choke and or primer button and is there a pull start along with your electric start? if it has a choke turn on choke full and no throttle and pull you guts out if it tries to fire give it a wee litlle throttle while pulling
if it has fuel management system and it probably does it may be flooded ie if smell gas while cranking (heavy smell) then hold it to the bars while pulling over it while fire if not then haul her back to the dealer

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
No choke or primer or pull start......

I am calling the dealer again tomorrow...... I bought it 4 weeks ago and have not started it since and it has been parked outside..... Hence thinking it was a frozen fuel line....

Yesterday it would only turn over and nothing more, today I get a sputter and a back fire when I give it a little gas when turning it over...... I will try again in the AM and see what happens......

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could very well have fouled plugs. I know on my older 05 RX-1, that if you started the sled and didnt let it warm up (red blinking light goes out) that it would foul plugs and not start the next time.
Might be the issue if it was just started at dealer and parked on trailer. I would imagine its a pain to pull the plugs on that sled. Other trick that I found on this site and I had to use this week to start mine was a shot of propane in the airbox while cranking. Just a small bottle for soldering or camp stove with a nozzle on end crack, it slightly open in the air box and try starting sled.

Hope some of this helps:)

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
I pulled it into my garage (off the trailer as it did not fit on the trailer) and I have the covers off and space heaters pointing right at the motor........

If this does not work I will take it back to the dealer (ouch, how do I pull it ON to a trailer?), but that is in Nanton so it is a fair trip to go 4 times.... (once there and then home, and then back and home again, for 4 trips). With me living in the NW of Calgary that is an hour and a half each way...........

God I hope this works.

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
you could very well have fouled plugs. I know on my older 05 RX-1, that if you started the sled and didnt let it warm up (red blinking light goes out) that it would foul plugs and not start the next time.
Might be the issue if it was just started at dealer and parked on trailer. I would imagine its a pain to pull the plugs on that sled. Other trick that I found on this site and I had to use this week to start mine was a shot of propane in the airbox while cranking. Just a small bottle for soldering or camp stove with a nozzle on end crack, it slightly open in the air box and try starting sled.

Hope some of this helps:)

This will be my next attempt I think before driving to Nanton..... Thanks

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
IT STARTED!!!!

LOL... Well I pulled it off my trailer, I put it in my garage (un-heated), I took all the front covers off it and I put a base heater facing the engine. Left it for 4 hours and BAM!!!!!!

I left it running about 15 min, throttling it up and down........ I am going to start it again in a few hours, and I am going to leave the heater on it all night anyways.......

Let the sledding begin.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IT STARTED!!!!

LOL... Well I pulled it off my trailer, I put it in my garage (un-heated), I took all the front covers off it and I put a base heater facing the engine. Left it for 4 hours and BAM!!!!!!

I left it running about 15 min, throttling it up and down........ I am going to start it again in a few hours, and I am going to leave the heater on it all night anyways.......

Let the sledding begin.
I'd run gas line antifreeze in it for the next few tanks of fuel just to be sure you get rid of any water in the system

elvis

Reaction score

What am I missing?
Ckeck the relay under the battetie (on the right side) when you turn the key on you should here the gas pump for a few seconds if you dont the relay is not doing the job. try putting some heat or knok it.
I own a MP and its a good buy.
ELVIS

elvis

Reaction score
check under the batterie on the right side, there is a relay that tuns on gas pump knock it or heat it. if you turn the key on and you dont here the pump it wont start (relay cost 25$) had the sma thing happen.

Top Bottom