Helmets on Crown Land

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
in my opinion you will be fine with the hockey helmet, take it easy, maclean creek can be a handful, get the family out and have some fun, they will love it. get proper gear, be safe. nothing worse than seeing a helmet flopping all over a kids head.
stay off the roads.

Yea, the hockey helmet was more of a solution for one trip where we were planning on driving down the well road......no bush or technical riding for a quick hotdog roast . I am planning to go to GW on Monday to order one.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Sorry, typo on my part . Fulmer is the brand of helmet. We bought ours at Recycle Motorcycles in Stoney Plain. That was 7 yrs ago but I think they still carry the line. Their # is 780-963-2999. They are closed on Sunday and Monday's.

Thanks, I'll look into that!!!

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
call a few bike shops In town. they ill likely be able to help u.

We actually went to 4 different shops and were told they did not have any in stock and it would have to ordered from their supplier.....which is fine but there is no way it will be here by Monday

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, the hockey helmet was more of a solution for one trip where we were planning on driving down the well road......no bush or technical riding for a quick hotdog roast . I am planning to go to GW on Monday to order one.

get the map at the staging area, costs $287 to drive on that road with atv/Sxs,

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought I just had. Our boy races BMX and at the track we see lots a really little guys with the motocross style helmets for BMX racing that are really light and are sized right for their size/age. Maybe check some bike shops if you have no luck elsewhere. They can be pricey but offer excellent protection , better than a helmet that would be to big or heavy for sure...

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
get the map at the staging area, costs $287 to drive on that road with atv/Sxs,

The one that goes to the Husky plant to the West?!?!?! I did not think there was an issue with that road.

I'll definitely get the map next time I go out there. Is there a digital version I can load into my Garmin?

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Just a thought I just had. Our boy races BMX and at the track we see lots a really little guys with the motocross style helmets for BMX racing that are really light and are sized right for their size/age. Maybe check some bike shops if you have no luck elsewhere. They can be pricey but offer excellent protection .

Great idea!!!! I'll definitely try that, thanks!!!

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to say.... you can get light BMX full face helmets.... they are not DOT approved but are way better then a hockey helmet... they are actually nice helmets and come in small sizes.... any major bmx store would have them....

So now BC is going to have new rules....about time... and I hope Alberta will follow.... having no helmet law in this province for off road is stupid....

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to say.... you can get light BMX full face helmets.... they are not DOT approved but are way better then a hockey helmet... they are actually nice helmets and come in small sizes.... any major bmx store would have them....

So now BC is going to have new rules....about time... and I hope Alberta will follow.... having no helmet law in this province for off road is stupid....
I always thought there was a helmet law in affect for on/off road use. Laws were stated to be worn on all peddle bikes so I'd be suprised to hear it's a new law.
anyhow it makes sence for sure but I still feel it should be your choice, we are being policed way to much. I moved to wearing my mnt bike helmet for biking, sledding and on the side by, so much lighter and a lot cooler, now I don't mind wareing it.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That being said, it's a moot point anyway as there is a 1000lb restriction at McLean until May 1 so we can't go. Anyone have any suggestions for Ghost? I've only ever been to McLean

The rule is there is stop Jeeps and trucks from using the trails, but the Conservation Officers do not enforce the weight restriction on side-by-sides. This is directly from a officer out at McLean.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
The rule is there is stop Jeeps and trucks from using the trails, but the Conservation Officers do not enforce the weight restriction on side-by-sides. This is directly from a officer out at McLean.

Thanks for the update!!

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking as a fire fighter I would not take the risk of not having your 5yr old riding with the proper gear no matter how careful you are accidents happen and that is a public area with other riders you know nothing about all it takes is one moron to run into you on the road and you'll have to live with it the rest of your life just my opinion

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Personal opinion.... And its something I have heard from quite a few other people before... If your kid is in a side by side... With a certified roll cage.. (can am and a few others)... If it rolled... You would rather not have something really really havey on a small child slamming thier neck around but rather something light to protect roll cage impacts.. as they will not be getting ejected.. Putting motocross helmets on children isn;t always the best idea depending on the machine. If your on a 1000 pound atv... and it lands on your child unfortunatley... a hockey helmet or a "junior motocross helmet"... wont make much difference. I know im going to get slaughtered for this and I really wonder why I still post lol.. But on things like those little 50cc quads... A hockey helmet is the way to go! Some very small children run the risk of snapping thier neck off the weight of the helmet alone if they fall of the wrong way. Anyways.. two cents.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T team has a very good point.

Young people may not have neck support for a heavy helmet.

The hanssevice is used in NASCAR and motor cross racing for neck support.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T-Team has an interesting point, but I thought junior helmets were specifically designed for children. I do know that kids risk neck injury when we slap an adult helmet on them.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T-Team nailed it in my opinion. My daughter has worn a snow board helmut for the past few years since she has been big enough. She started riding when she was 7 months old on properly chosen trips. Nothing fit her then unfortunately. The snow board helmut gives some protection if needed, but she is in her car seat in the center back of the crew protected in various ways. The motor cross helmut weight/fit was more of a hazard option. Of course this is is when she is in the 6 seater, i dont care for her to be on a big quad with me now matter what she wears.
The trip there in the vehichle is probably higher risk then the trip you describe wearing a hockey helmut.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
T-Team has an interesting point, but I thought junior helmets were specifically designed for children. I do know that kids risk neck injury when we slap an adult helmet on them.

If by specifically designed for children... you mean a small version of an adult helmet... then yes... yes they are. Its gives me the jitters watching people ride around with small kids and these big honkin heavy helmets becuase they need thier kids "looking cool" or something.... And you can tell they can barely hold thier head up.. bouncing around like a ping pong ball. I have watched people plop these helmets on in the showroom on little kids and they are standing there looking like a bobble head doll.... back and forth. If a hockey helmet is designed to protect a childs head against an impact on ice (no give at all)... Its MORE than good enough to protect it from an impact on dirt. And if you have ever watched a kid "loop out" legs forward head backwards onto the ice on a pair of skates you know the G force of that is ALOT higher than them falling off of a quad.And like i said... We hope it never happens but if you are putting your child on a full size atv.... And something terrible happens... Both helmets will do the same thing. Again this is a personal standpoint and I stand alone when I say this. But I think hockey helmets are great for kids.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hockey helmet has better face protection I would think but not sure if good enough impact protection. I put moto cross helmets on both my kids always.

Top Bottom