Helmets on Crown Land

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I am planning a trip out to McLean on Monday and was going to take the 5 yr old with me. I am covered but unfortunately, I could not get a "motocross" helmet for him on such short notice. My question is, would it be OK for me to just use his hockey helmet with the full face cage? I know it's not DOT approved but it is still impact rated, fits him VERY well and we would not be doing anything stupid anyway....just going out for a quick hotdog roast.

Cheers

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you ask permission for something like that here? It is your kid. You have to decide if you want to risk you kids head in a hockey helmet or wait until you can get him a motocross helmet.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Why would you think I'm asking permission as apposed to more the legality of using one?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I guess I thought it was a little more obvious than it apparently came across....list in translation I guess.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I remember reading somewhere that an approved helmet must be worn in the McLean creek ohv area ?

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I actually just spoke with both the RCMP and the Rangers who enforce McLean and was told that they do not enforce it and that the hockey helmet would be fine provided I am willing to accept the risks for my son.

In the end, if we were going for an actual ride it would be far different but we are going 10k down a logging road at no more that 30 kph for a hotdog roast.

That being said, it's a moot point anyway as there is a 1000lb restriction at McLean until May 1 so we can't go. Anyone have any suggestions for Ghost? I've only ever been to McLean

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh, well I'll be fawked

Bastages , it's a good thing but bad too

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually just spoke with both the RCMP and the Rangers who enforce McLean and was told that they do not enforce it and that the hockey helmet would be fine provided I am willing to accept the risks for my son.

In the end, if we were going for an actual ride it would be far different but we are going 10k down a logging road at no more that 30 kph for a hotdog roast.

That being said, it's a moot point anyway as there is a 1000lb restriction at McLean until May 1 so we can't go. Anyone have any suggestions for Ghost? I've only ever been to McLean

What are you riding that weighs over a thousand pounds ?

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I am on a Can-Am Maverick side by side.....I believe it weighs in at 1,200 lbs

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely no sxs out there. I've never even had them question my weight on an atv

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I think it's a whole different story with the side by side though.....not 100% sure as I just got it but not willing to risk it either. Also, not sure if that weight is dry or fully loaded with passengers

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's a whole different story with the side by side though.....not 100% sure as I just got it but not willing to risk it either. Also, not sure if that weight is dry or fully loaded with passengers

Probably off the floor with full fluids

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I think I'm 1,200 dry so it does not really matter anyway.

Anyone know where wake someone can go? I've only been to McLean....Pincher and Sundre are too far for a hotdog roast

Top Bottom