Helmet Straps Undone

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not doing your helmet up properly is just silly. There is no excuse out there to justify it.

The common excuse seemed to be due to tree riding and constantly stopping due to stucks. I ride trees as much as anyone, I rarely take my helmet off. Goggles come off and sit face up on the handlbars, never had an issue.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just checking out this thread:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f450/pro-found-stump-first-ride-59827.html

and noticed at least two of the three riders did not have their helmet straps done up. How often do you intentionally, or unintentionally ride with your strap undone? I know I have left mine undone occasionally wile tree riding and getting stuck/unstuck frequently. Not anymore…this just goes to show, you never know!
Zero now with the quick buckles.
Don't even have to take the mitts off.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not doing strap up is like doing seat belt up behind your back.....

Warning!!!!! This is only acceptable during hunting season!

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are the quick release clips we use. 3 for $16 on Amazon. Takes a small piece of 3/4" nylon strap and a bit of sewing to make them work really well with a normal D-ring helmet. They work much better than any others I've tried.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 084146.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion is simple, not doing up your helmet strap is simply laziness and stupidity. Same to not wearing your sled tether.
Ironically some of these wannabees wear avy gear, i wonder if they do up the buckles on it and turn on the beacon?
Safety in any sport is #1, any less shows irresponsibility, lack of knowledge and makes you more of a liability then an asset to your riding partners and to the sport.
Plus how can one call them self an advocate of the sport when safety is secondary.
One can come up with 100 different excuses on why not to do up the helmet, that simple thing makes you good or not so good at the sport.
Haha, and you thought it was your riding skill's.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're not gonna do up your helmet then leave it in the truck. Your peripheral vision will be much better while riding without it. :shrug::shrug:

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're not gonna do up your helmet then leave it in the truck. Your peripheral vision will be much better while riding without it. :shrug::shrug:
That is dumb. Of course there is more protection using a helmet even if undone. If it is properly fitted, it sure isn't coming off easily.

I do mine up on trail rides etc, but if a warm day in the trees and lots of stops I don't do it up. I have my helmet off on top of my head a lot to get air and much easier to tip the helmet up vs removing goggles each time. Yes I have a quick attach with the magnet, but sometimes it just doesn't go together without removing the gloves. Wet gloves on and off are a royal pain.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is dumb. Of course there is more protection using a helmet even if undone. If it is properly fitted, it sure isn't coming off easily.

I do mine up on trail rides etc, but if a warm day in the trees and lots of stops I don't do it up. I have my helmet off on top of my head a lot to get air and much easier to tip the helmet up vs removing goggles each time. Yes I have a quick attach with the magnet, but sometimes it just doesn't go together without removing the gloves. Wet gloves on and off are a royal pain.

During a crash with whip. Like a dead stop and going over the bars I’ve seen helmets fly off heads before the body is fully moving. Definitely doesn’t take as much as one thinks to Sky lift off a good fitting helmet if it’s not done Up.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

But just think! You could avoid all that by just leaving it in the truck! :doh::doh:

Top Bottom