Helmet Straps Undone

dirtygirll

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always always strap mine on, it takes. 5-8 secs to strap it and 2-4 secs to unstrap so in your whole ride you might waste what.....2-4 mins?!? Woww.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Always always strap mine on, it takes. 5-8 secs to strap it and 2-4 secs to unstrap so in your whole ride you might waste what.....2-4 mins?!? Woww.
This post is signature worthy... LMAO!!! I'm sure your man appreciates the effIciency. J/k

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it was my face that bounced off the stump in that video, and to be honest i still wont do up my strap. i actually cant remember the last time i have used my helmet strap, it has probably been years. our group does almost all tight tree riding and i am constantly taking my helmet on and off so i would spend half the day screwing with my straps if i strapped up every time. and this is definitely not my first time to go over the bars, however this is the first time my helmet has ever came off.

Obviously nothing was learned by your accident. I don't understand why you would even wear a helmet if it wasn't done up properly.....even after losing your helmet you say you won't do up your strap? To each his own, and I am not going to preach, but I just find it very ironic that you would not take your accident as a learning experience and try not to make the same mistake twice. Safe sledding to you.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw the vid and just shook my head. get a quick connect, they are easily connected and disconnected with gloves on. you might as well not even wear a helmet if you are not properly strapping it on. period.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's hilarious how some try to justify not strapping the helmet... LOL:confused:

Guess it has to take a head injury to make some people learn that it's not just a head warmer..

Get the quick connects. I got mine from Cycle Works. 15 bucks.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I leave mine a bit looser then probably should, I don't like it tight on my chin, I keep it like 3 fingers loose but there is no way it would come off it is a bit of a snug fit. Would never not wear one, have had bad landing and smashed my head bad, and yet couldn't even feel it, surprised it didn't break the helmet honestly......Wouldn't ever DREAM of not having the strap done up. I mean there has been a few times moving the sled like 20 feet, but that's it. As far as head moving in the helmet with the strap not done up right, that seems weird I would think it must be a poor fit? The strap won't prevent your head from moving side to side or anything.

But I will say, if i'm loading up at home or whatever, never wear a helmet. After riding all day, it's on because it's already on, but even unloading it's off. Know there's people who disagree with that, but that's life.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Depends on who your riding with and how much digging your doing! At like 9 seconds per time that only gives you like 20 times taking off your helmet in a day. I know i've done it a lot more then that some days.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the fast hook from helmet skinz and have never had a problem

Attachments

• fhook.gif
    fhook.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 239

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
After seeing your pic cycle I'd agree your helmet isn't going to fall off that thing....must have to throw some heat at it to get it off...

I leave mine a bit looser then probably should, I don't like it tight on my chin, I keep it like 3 fingers loose but there is no way it would come off it is a bit of a snug fit. Would never not wear one, have had bad landing and smashed my head bad, and yet couldn't even feel it, surprised it didn't break the helmet honestly......Wouldn't ever DREAM of not having the strap done up. I mean there has been a few times moving the sled like 20 feet, but that's it. As far as head moving in the helmet with the strap not done up right, that seems weird I would think it must be a poor fit? The strap won't prevent your head from moving side to side or anything.

But I will say, if i'm loading up at home or whatever, never wear a helmet. After riding all day, it's on because it's already on, but even unloading it's off. Know there's people who disagree with that, but that's life.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always fasten my strap. And its a good thing too. This summer I had a crash on the ol trike and was tossed hars over the bars and hit the back of my helmet on something, I'm not sure if it was tree or ground or what, and it put a crack done the middle of my helmet. Coulda cracked my skull for sure.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For all those that don't strap your helmet on, think of this. What is going to happen if you are ever involved in an avalanche? I saw a sled after going through an avalanche this winter, and the grips were torn off the bars. If it can rip grips off of bars, its going to rip your helmet off.
Having my helmet strap done up tight is like putting my seat belt on when getting in a vehicle. It's a force of habit.

sent from a phone

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For all those that don't strap your helmet on, think of this. What is going to happen if you are ever involved in an avalanche? I saw a sled after going through an avalanche this winter, and the grips were torn off the bars. If it can rip grips off of bars, its going to rip your helmet off.
Having my helmet strap done up tight is like putting my seat belt on when getting in a vehicle. It's a force of habit.

sent from a phone

Friend died in 1998 in an avy, had his helmet on and it still broke his neck, and he was only 6" below the surface, so don't think that it will protect you from any of the forces in an avy. I learned to ride smarter and be more aware of avy/terrain because of his passing. There is no point in strapping your helmet on if you are not going to utilize what it is there to protect. He left a family behind and I was just a young kid back then - its been almost 15 yrs now since I saw your smile. RIP bud.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend died in 1998 in an avy, had his helmet on and it still broke his neck, and he was only 6" below the surface, so don't think that it will protect you from any of the forces in an avy. I learned to ride smarter and be more aware of avy/terrain because of his passing. There is no point in strapping your helmet on if you are not going to utilize what it is there to protect. He left a family behind and I was just a young kid back then - its been almost 15 yrs now since I saw your smile. RIP bud.

Sorry about the loss.
It would have done the same thing either way.
Imo, I can't believe people can justify not strapping up their helmet.

sent from a phone

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never strap mine on ...

seen a guy turn out up high ... fell off and some how the helmet got draged up the track and jamed in the tunnel still on the guys head all the way till it stoped ....

was funny . real funny till u think about it ... i couldn't belive that he didn't break his neck ....

we had to cut the straps off the helmet to get him out and cut a green tree to get the helmet out of the track-tunnel

ever since no strap done up

And the odds of repeating this are? That's about the lamest excuse I have ever heard. So what if the guy had his helmet undone? It would have got pulled off his head, and then the track would have sucked his head up into the tunnel or at the least taken a chunk of his face off. Here's an idea: do your helmet strap up, and wear a teather.

Top Bottom