Helmet Straps Undone

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just checking out this thread:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f450/pro-found-stump-first-ride-59827.html

and noticed at least two of the three riders did not have their helmet straps done up. How often do you intentionally, or unintentionally ride with your strap undone? I know I have left mine undone occasionally wile tree riding and getting stuck/unstuck frequently. Not anymore…this just goes to show, you never know!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just checking out this thread:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f450/pro-found-stump-first-ride-59827.html

and noticed at least two of the three riders did not have their helmet straps done up. How often do you intentionally, or unintentionally ride with your strap undone? I know I have left mine undone occasionally wile tree riding and getting stuck/unstuck frequently. Not anymore…this just goes to show, you never know!

That is actually in the safety program curriculum for my youth safety classes. I catch myself once in a while. The brain bucket is no good if it doesn't stay on the melon.

Good Post.

Momma :)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always have mine done. Really reduces the point of wearing a helmet if you don't. I had a buddy face plant into his handlebars and I was surprised when his helmet popped off and he smacked his teeth.

The other reason to always strap in... When your buddy gets stuck and you slowly make your way over to him while attempting to unstrap, only to get there for the easy part - verbal confirmation that he's unstuck. :D

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always fasten my strap. And its a good thing too. This summer I had a crash on the ol trike and was tossed hars over the bars and hit the back of my helmet on something, I'm not sure if it was tree or ground or what, and it put a crack done the middle of my helmet. Coulda cracked my skull for sure.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never strap mine on ...

seen a guy turn out up high ... fell off and some how the helmet got draged up the track and jamed in the tunnel still on the guys head all the way till it stoped ....

was funny . real funny till u think about it ... i couldn't belive that he didn't break his neck ....

we had to cut the straps off the helmet to get him out and cut a green tree to get the helmet out of the track-tunnel

ever since no strap done up

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it was my face that bounced off the stump in that video, and to be honest i still wont do up my strap. i actually cant remember the last time i have used my helmet strap, it has probably been years. our group does almost all tight tree riding and i am constantly taking my helmet on and off so i would spend half the day screwing with my straps if i strapped up every time. and this is definitely not my first time to go over the bars, however this is the first time my helmet has ever came off.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

seen a guy turn out up high ... fell off and some how the helmet got draged up the track and jamed in the tunnel still on the guys head all the way till it stoped ....

was funny . real funny till u think about it ... i couldn't belive that he didn't break his neck ....

we had to cut the straps off the helmet to get him out and cut a green tree to get the helmet out of the track-tunnel

sounds like that story you always hear about a guy who woulda lived had he not been wearing his seatbelt. plucking safety equipment always killing people, when will they learn.

Seriously I always strap up, whats the point of wearing a helmet if you dont.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have mine strapped on but loosely with just the right amount of tension that I can slip my helmut on and off fairly easily without dealing with the straps. Never had it fall off and have been over the handle bars a few times. Probably not 100% secure but IMO much better than no straps.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I bought the quick clips because I always do it up I had an incident few years ago where I rag dolled down the lake and my MX helmet flew off ...so from now on always done up

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I have mine strapped on but loosely with just the right amount of tension that I can slip my helmut on and off fairly easily without dealing with the straps. Never had it fall off and have been over the handle bars a few times. Probably not 100% secure but IMO much better than no straps.

My brother in law did that and when he had serious crash his face jarred forward in the helment and damaged his voice box 2 years later his voice still hasn't recovered not sure if a tight strap would have prevented it or not

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother in law did that and when he had serious crash his face jarred forward in the helment and damaged his voice box 2 years later his voice still hasn't recovered not sure if a tight strap would have prevented it or not

whow! Just shows you how we can find ourselves in trouble by cutting a corner here and there.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sooooooo......you'd rather get your head sucked into the track WITHOUT a helmet on? :confused: What kinda wierd logic is that?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As an ex-motocross rider, my helmet strap is always fastened properly. The motocross full face helmets most of us wear offer significant leverage because of the face protection, and the resulting see-saw effect (if you hit something solid) can cause neck injury. If it isn't fastened securely, you may as well not wear a helmet. A lot of us wear tekvests, avalanche airbags, etc, and think of the helmet as a headwarmer. If you hate running the strap through the D-rings, buy a quick clip fastener. It is a lot cheaper then a wheelchair...

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like one of these ?

Amazon.com: Vega Echo Red Quick Release for Motorcycle Helmet: Automotive'd be into buying one of them for sure. Im just too lazy to take off my gloves every time to mess around with d rings, but i'd order one of these for sure.

Top Bottom