helmet cams

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
which brand of helmet cams do people find to work the best,using in the mountains sledding.what is the battery life

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
which brand of helmet cams do people find to work the best,using in the mountains sledding.what is the battery life

A lot of people run the camera because of the rugged waterproof housing that the camera sits in. The GoPro produces excellent video quality and has great mounts. The battery life is fairly average, getting about 2.5 hours in summer conditions which translates to a bit more than 1.5 hours in winter (depending on how cold it is). The push button for start/stop is hard to use with gloves on and you really need to check to see if it is recording or not each time (either by taking your helmet off or getting a buddy to check).

A fairly new comer to the game is the , which has a remote control and colour screen for easier use and longer battery life. The standard battery gives about 3 hours in summer (about 2 in winter) and there is a long life battery available that pushes that out to almost double. It's not quite as bombproof as the GoPro, but is still quite rugged and is waterproof to 1m (compared to 60m for the GoPro).

Cheers
Matt Fitzhardinge

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a Contour HD 1080 P.

WIcked camera. I consider it much better than the Go Pro.

Waterproof case available.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was gonna buy a camera at the sled show, which one is better? the contour, go pro, or the drift hd 170?? thanks!:beer:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was gonna buy a camera at the sled show, which one is better? the contour, go pro, or the drift hd 170?? thanks!:beer:

Can't comment on the Drift, but in short of my response above Contour > Go Pro. Ease of use alone makes it leagues better IMO. No guessing.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a GOPro (non HD) and a Drift 170 (non-HD) and the Drift is better hands-down. I have a Drift HD coming right now....

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 reg go pros and have thought about moving to something else only because of the turning on turning off. Its a pain on the helmet having to unclip it hit record and then fumble trying to get it put back on. The only thing that i noticed between the contour and the go pro is the reaction to bright lights seems slow on the contour. I love how easy it is to turn on the contour though. I will keep my go pros for machine mounts but want something else for helmet shots

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a pain on the helmet having to unclip it hit record and then fumble trying to get it put back on.

The big button on the top turns it on, the big button on the front starts the recording. There are only 2 buttons. Press the top one, wait a couple seconds, press the front one. Not that hard for most of us, but hey...

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Go Pro HD and have shot hare scramble video, mot-x and sleddin...excellent video quality, but I have missed lots due to not turning on properly..I defdinately agree it's hard to operate when on yer helmet..and no way to know how much space is left on memory card when using...

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The big button on the top turns it on, the big button on the front starts the recording. There are only 2 buttons. Press the top one, wait a couple seconds, press the front one. Not that hard for most of us, but hey...

ya ive also taken 190 pictures because it double clicked the front one. The contour you push a slide forward and it begins recording. And also, the front one turns it on and the top one record but hey, maybe thats what im doing wrong :rolleyes:

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
picked up the gopro hero,now need to go to the mountains and try it out
thanks for the info given on helmet cams

bone$

Reaction score
just bought drift 1080p cam, nice camera, awsome video, but not too sure about the mounting hardware they supply, does anyone have one? and how did you mount it?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just check around you will be able too pick them up out of the states for way cheaper ... for our dollar is so close....

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Go Pro hero HD with a 16 gb card that I used once,will sell for 250 obo

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I would get the Go-Pro HD, but sure alot for sale. That's telling me something!! Isn't the Go-Pro the only one thats waterproof?? Why so many for sale??

Top Bottom