Heavy duty mechanic vs millwright

jkrabben

Reaction score
so polarblu, would you say that an hd tech would have better experience/training to work on their own trucks, sleds, dirtbikes etc? but a millwright gets training in a wider variety of stuff, welding, machining, engines, compressors, pumps etc?

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so polarblu, would you say that an hd tech would have better experience/training to work on their own trucks, sleds, dirtbikes etc? but a millwright gets training in a wider variety of stuff, welding, machining, engines, compressors, pumps etc?

you don't want to pull transmissons and stump pans for a living i work on compressors am a ticketed hd but by the time i was fourth year i knew trucks and equipment was bullchit they just started a new trade which is called natural gas technician for what i do if i did it all over again i would have went refrigeration

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes the mechanical training is by far more in depth as to why things happen inside machines, and gain hands on experience while in school. Im talking you have completely dissasemble and reassemble big Cat, Detroit, Cummins engines and they have to START before you pass. Once you have built a supercharged 2 stroke diesel your sled will seem kinda simple. As far as the comment on compressors a millright cant jump into that, only a mechanic or machinist can jump over. Dont go full Gas Compression cause then you are stuck there, dont get me wrong they are the highest payed mechanics out there!! You can actually crawl into the crankcase on some to change main bearings........ But they cant go anywhere, But most own their own trucks and make 200K a year..... As HD you will have the knowledge try many different fields it keeps you options open. Another thing to think about is Power Engineering, look that up and get back us. That lets you actually operate the gas compression stations...... Or just sit by a boiler and read a book and make 100K a year.....

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the mechanical training is by far more in depth as to why things happen inside machines, and gain hands on experience while in school. Im talking you have completely dissasemble and reassemble big Cat, Detroit, Cummins engines and they have to START before you pass. Once you have built a supercharged 2 stroke diesel your sled will seem kinda simple. As far as the comment on compressors a millright cant jump into that, only a mechanic or machinist can jump over. Dont go full Gas Compression cause then you are stuck there, dont get me wrong they are the highest payed mechanics out there!! You can actually crawl into the crankcase on some to change main bearings........ But they cant go anywhere, But most own their own trucks and make 200K a year..... As HD you will have the knowledge try many different fields it keeps you options open. Another thing to think about is Power Engineering, look that up and get back us. That lets you actually operate the gas compression stations...... Or just sit by a boiler and read a book and make 100K a year.....

Inside the frame like this thing??
I'm a HD working for an OEM. Everything from steam turbines to centrifugal compressors. If you like hotels and restaurants gas compession is for you.

Attachments

• variflow 014.jpg
    variflow 014.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 172

jkrabben

Reaction score
you don't want to pull transmissons and stump pans for a living i work on compressors am a ticketed hd but by the time i was fourth year i knew trucks and equipment was bullchit they just started a new trade which is called natural gas technician for what i do if i did it all over again i would have went refrigeration

so you have your hd mech ticket, but work in the millwright field?

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

their is 3 tickets that can do what i do automotive hd and millwright and to correct you millwrights work in the hd field i don't own my own truck i work for the only waukeshea dealer in canada and mid to northwest usa and to give you an idea when i was a diesel mechanic their is little to no advancement from the floor you might make foremen but that's it , i can move on to the oil company from here go operating go overseas to operate/maintian have been asked to go to russia the congo and so on ask lots of questions from everybody before you comit to somthing, truck shop guys lucky to make 100k a year gas compression guys can do that in 6 months if you want to work, the first year i was a helper and made 132,000 as a lead it will be closer to 200k i drive someone elses truck don't pay for fuel or repairs and i rarely go to camp or hotels anymore any more questoins fire away..

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pretty much. When I got started in compression, HD was what they steered you towards. I started a Millwright ticket back in 96 but got addicted to money and I'm to cheap to go to school. Once work slows down I think I'm just going to challenge it.

Good for you Flatlander, not to many can bust 150K without spending lot's of time away from home. Notice much change now that it's called GasDrive? Lot's of other packagers are pissed at GE for controlling the way Wauk's are distributed now. Good for Cat though.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha ha gas drive yep i wanted to see pamco again it's gonna be good for everybody that was conducting business as was supposed to be by not bringing parts across the border,but will have to wait and see who you work for?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D-R. I was mostly doing the high speed recips. but as of late it's been more API stuff in refineries and chem. plants it seems. Too many players in the small stuff for us to compete.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the turbines would be interesting to get into but i only got 4 more years until i tap out and do somthing else.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
their is 3 tickets that can do what i do automotive hd and millwright and to correct you millwrights work in the hd field i don't own my own truck i work for the only waukeshea dealer in canada and mid to northwest usa and to give you an idea when i was a diesel mechanic their is little to no advancement from the floor you might make foremen but that's it , i can move on to the oil company from here go operating go overseas to operate/maintian have been asked to go to russia the congo and so on ask lots of questions from everybody before you comit to somthing, truck shop guys lucky to make 100k a year gas compression guys can do that in 6 months if you want to work, the first year i was a helper and made 132,000 as a lead it will be closer to 200k i drive someone elses truck don't pay for fuel or repairs and i rarely go to camp or hotels anymore any more questoins fire away..
I have never even heard of a Millright working in Gas Compression!!!!! Anybody i know wouldnt even think about hiring one other than to be a helper. Machinists go over cause all the parts being brought into the field get dropped off at their door. Auto guys have tryed but usually fail (not all). As far as being a diesel tech if you look at my profile pic i restored 5 of those trucks in Kazakhstan. 2 years as an international supervisor before i got married. My license is Commercial transport but Hd was just a slight move, although a bit of a struggle at first. My advise is in order to keep all the options open to grow as a tech in the future millright is just not going to cut it. Honestly of the 5 i know 4 work in saw mills changing bearings and seals, the other one works at an amusement park!!

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Millwright it is! I am both Hd and Millwright. Would never go back to HD. It all depends were you are in the country. In Alberta, Millwights do all the compressor work. Something differnet every day. Good wages. Millwrighting is the profession that has a low stress load and lowest self inflicted death rate. (Odd stat but true) What ever you choose, look after your body! Don't lift stuff cause you can, and make sure that you dress appropriate for the weather. When you get old loke me, the wear and tear catches up with you. Make sure that you work SAFE. Cheers!!!

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dude idk about u but i don't think you need to be a millright or a hd mechanic to work on ur own truck, sleds or dirtbikes... Ive been working on my own machines since I was a little kid ( with the help of my dad). Now i have been rebuilding any thing from engines and transmissions for anything from quads, snowmobiles, dirt bikes my own truck and way more. Here's my 2¢ if you want to work on snowmobiles and dirt bikes and trucks maybe u should just read some books and just get involved.

Truthfully, this thread sounds like a playground fight on who owns the yellow slide.

jkrabben

Reaction score
Dude idk about u but i don't think you need to be a millright or a hd mechanic to work on ur own truck, sleds or dirtbikes... Ive been working on my own machines since I was a little kid ( with the help of my dad). Now i have been rebuilding any thing from engines and transmissions for anything from quads, snowmobiles, dirt bikes my own truck and way more. Here's my 2¢ if you want to work on snowmobiles and dirt bikes and trucks maybe u should just read some books and just get involved.

Truthfully, this thread sounds like a playground fight on who owns the yellow slide.

obviously i work on my own machines and am quite good at it, but theirs always more to learn, im sure you couldnt build a 800 hp diesel truck, or build a custom sled, and hopefully after i get a trade or more than one trade ill be able to do something like that

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
obviously i work on my own machines and am quite good at it, but theirs always more to learn, im sure you couldnt build a 800 hp diesel truck, or build a custom sled, and hopefully after i get a trade or more than one trade ill be able to do something like that

I take it you have seen my cummins build thread? lol

jkrabben

Reaction score
Flatlander_01- the main thing im confused about is the gas compression field, if you had your hd mech ticket and got tired of working on trucks/off road equipment, could you get a job in gas compression?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see why not.

The way I see it if you are even marginally talented and interested in what you do, as a mechanic, you can learn to work on anything.

Top Bottom