Heavy duty mechanic vs millwright

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hd,commercial, and auto tech tickets are considered higher than mill wrongs. Get the good ticket and if you want to millwright then giver. It dosnt work the other way unless your darn talented. Natural gas guys come from that trade cause 90 percent of the work is super easy, all specialty tools supplied, and it's mostly services. Used oil dumps directly in the floor sump, new oil is in a warm barrel with an air pump in it, change plugs set valves, shoot temps and make it last all day......... Gravy
In what ****ing world do you live in? Ever do a 4 day on a 7042 in December? freezing cold, oil is like tar, swinging heads, holes, cam with no crane...laying in the sump spinning in bearings...yeah, I'd like to see some shop chimp that changes alternators and pan gaskets all day tough it out for one month. *EDIT** And if you're only doing 1 service a day, you'll be cleaning out your tools in a real hurry. drop oil, spin out plugs, pop off Valve covers, set valves, turn engine, change filters, set opposite lash, boroscope holes, new cover gaskets, plugs in, pump oil, change air filters, clean oil centrifuge, pull covers, do water pump and accessory belts, pre-lube, start unit, balance banks, set fuel and turbos..oh, and there's 12-16 cylinders, and you have 4 hours excluding travel to do it...And that's your basic service....not including the comp itself.

Last edited:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PS94, I usually only did one service a day and it did entail all items you listed, plus check all jackshaft bearings, check resistance of all spark plug extensions and primary leads and take care of any repairs needed (oil leaks, occasional cyl. head, etc). Also, depending on the time of year, you may finish the service, then repitch fans on all the units at the plant. The days were usually pretty damn full. You didn't have to try to "make it last all day".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's funny, I know a lot more HD guys working in Nat gas comp than millwrights. In my case, Being a millwright exposes me to more equipment, cause I work in both the plant and field, lots of turbines in my plant.

I'm willing to bet, ps94 and high velocity both feel the same as myself, I'd rather Work on a stationary 3500 series Cat over one jammed between the frame rails of a haul truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PS94, I usually only did one service a day and it did entail all items you listed, plus check all jackshaft bearings, check resistance of all spark plug extensions and primary leads and take care of any repairs needed (oil leaks, occasional cyl. head, etc). Also, depending on the time of year, you may finish the service, then repitch fans on all the units at the plant. The days were usually pretty damn full. You didn't have to try to "make it last all day".
Agreed. I also forgot to check the turbos, coupling, base bolts, coolant tank expansion cap...Forgot all about repitches, leads, extensions, ashed up heads, burnt pre-cups, stuck GSI injectors....."Make it last all day" riiight. Caper- you're right....I'll leave the mud encrusted, brake dust laden, paki poo covered junk to the HD guys in shops!

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I also forgot to check the turbos, coupling, base bolts, coolant tank expansion cap...Forgot all about repitches, leads, extensions, ashed up heads, burnt pre-cups, stuck GSI injectors....."Make it last all day" riiight. Caper- you're right....I'll leave the mud encrusted, brake dust laden, paki poo covered junk to the HD guys in shops!
Lmao you must be a gold mine for your employer!! And the racist comments are just wrong. Take them back. It's wrong in every sense.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet, ps94 and high velocity both feel the same as myself, I'd rather Work on a stationary 3500 series Cat over one jammed between the frame rails of a haul truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely ! I started apprenticing as an automotive mechanic in 1980. I switched over to HD in 1989, working at a lead/zinc mine in the Yukon. Moved back to Alberta in '94 and worked in mining and pulp&paper before going into gas compression. It is definitely much easier on the body than the other industries I worked in. The only issues I had with it was the large number of very long days I worked, plus, I don't really deal with heat all that well. That said, I do wish I would have gone into gas comp. when I was 25 instead of 45. Now, I've hung up most of the tools and operate.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow????????? Done both for 45 years. Loved very day. Both are hard work. If you put your best into each job the jobs seem to get better and harder as you skills improve.B Safe

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow????????? Done both for 45 years. Loved very day. Both are hard work. If you put your best into each job the jobs seem to get better and harder as you skills improve.B Safe

Done both for 45 yrs. ? Did you start at 15 yrs old, or still working at 70+ ? Really, the jobs should get easier as you gain experience. Work smarter, not harder !!

Top Bottom