Heavy duty mechanic vs millwright

ROBO

Reaction score
I am a millwright at a coal fired power plant. The great thing to me is the huge variety/size of equipment that is out there to work on. I don't think I would say millwrighting is easier on the body then a HD mechanic though; all depends on where you work. Good trade though with potential to make good $ as long as you stay away from the amusement parks:)

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A millright is just a good apprentice, they know a little bit about allot of stuff but need guidance from a mechanic to actually get into anything past changing bearings and seals. Millrights are your 2 speed gearbox guys, not your 6 speed automatic guys. For example Fuel injection......... millright gets an afternoon in class, mechanic studies it for 3 weeks, with hands-on in the afternoon. Do you want the knowledge to hold up a conversation about something or the real knowledge to do it? Really comes down to that! My .02$

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm not a millwright or hd mechanic but i'd sure like to b a retired billionaire.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A millright is just a good apprentice, they know a little bit about allot of stuff but need guidance from a mechanic to actually get into anything past changing bearings and seals. Millrights are your 2 speed gearbox guys, not your 6 speed automatic guys. For example Fuel injection......... millright gets an afternoon in class, mechanic studies it for 3 weeks, with hands-on in the afternoon. Do you want the knowledge to hold up a conversation about something or the real knowledge to do it? Really comes down to that! My .02$

If you're so much smarter and better qualified than a millwright how come you don't make more money than a millwright?

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My company is looking to hire good HD Mechanics $40/hr shop, $43/hr for field out of Boyle AB. Have a large winter program in the oilfield with most of the field work in the fort McMurray area.

PM me if you know anybody or you yourself are looking.

Dynamic

Reaction score
. Your not even a little bit right.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Millrights work at amusment parks...... Hd guys have a real job.!!!!

That's right!!!! have you seen how many chicks hang out at amusment parks???

I'll take that any day over a good conversation about injectors:rolleyes:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm would I rather work at an amusement park or on a greasy trican truck that some dumb ass fraccer has destroyed....that's a difficult question.
easy peasy money workin on oilfield chit some dumb azz has beat up. jmo.
hd tech been doing it for 15 yrs, rarely get dirty anymore just over 100k a year and home every night.
yeh i wanna be a millright............................notttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're so much smarter and better qualified than a millwright how come you don't make more money than a millwright?
I do and dont get me wrong the world needs millrights, someone has to fix the conveyor, and change the light bulbs in the pop machine.......... The world also needs 19 year hot chics with daddy issues to fill strip clubs.... takes all sorts!! I perfer something a little more challenging!! Take it back to a multispeed gearbox, the millright takes it out of the machine, then give it to the grown-up (mechanic) to get fixed then puts it back in.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy peasy money workin on oilfield chit some dumb azz has beat up. jmo.
hd tech been doing it for 15 yrs, rarely get dirty anymore just over 100k a year and home every night.
yeh i wanna be a millright............................notttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That sucks I make that workin in a warehouse. I dont even have to buy my own toques or gloves.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I do make more than a millwrong yearly and hourly....most people are doing the millwright route now a days heavy duty has a large investment in tools that is required, to be a millwright you just have to buy a coffee cup and a digital watch

Last edited:

Dynamic

Reaction score
I do make more than a millwrong yearly and hourly....most people are doing the millwright route now a days heavy duty has a large investment in tools that is required, to be a millwright you just have to buy a coffee cup and a digital watch
Haha while i do have a coffee cup I don't have a stopwatch, there is a clock in our lunchroom silly.

Top Bottom