Hauling Side by Side in truck box/deck

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most RZRS are about 110 inchs +/- tip to tip WITH a front and rear bumper......

On a trailer they don`t get a second look,sideways on a deck,i don`t like your odds.......

I've been hauling my RZR sideways on my deck since 2009 and have had DOTs and lots of cops follow me without issue. It is a couple inches over the legal width but I haven't been bothered yet.

Honda619

Reaction score
We have a 800 RZR that we haul on our Crosstracks Deck. We also have a 30' gear box that we pull. We load the RZR sideways on the deck so we don't have to put extension on the deck and everything rides great. Granted a dually 1 ton would be better but we get around just fine with our 1 ton combination. As weird as this sounds when just hauling the RZR on the truck the truck actually rides better with the RZR loaded sideways rather than lenghtways.

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In March we got a Commander 1000 on a deck. There r a few tricks that we use. I drive it on front ways. The front tires sit on truck ramps with the bumper sittin above the cab. I installed i tracks for tieing everything down using 3 inch straps. Painted the track with rust paint since the track is super slippery when bare. The rust paint gives u traction going on and off. Its an 8ft deck and we tow a 34ft holiday trailer towed by 1ton, a long box dually would b better. There is a bench with full roll cage on the Commander {back}. You can only pull doubles\ rv trailer and utv\quad trailer when the rv trailer is a fiffth wheel. I use about four 3inch straps and 2 wheel tie down straps to make sure that it stays put. The track helps greatly since it is parked on the track. One day the commander will b out of the shop.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
We have a side by side Polaris RZR and haul it with a short box F350 along with a 31ft. bumper pull trailer. My husband removes the tailgate from his truck and installs a homemade truck box extension that attaches on top of his back bumper. He backs the RZR up his ramps into his truck box. The front wheels of the RZR fit perfectly on the extension. Of course, the RZR is then secured safely with straps. He just uses a longer hitch receiver when hauling both the RZR and the trailer. Works perfect.

Last edited:

Mike s

Reaction score
I have 2011 hd gm 2500 short box , with a cross traxx deck pull a 30 ft holiday trailer. & haul a 2012 razor le. Side ways , rides like a dream no problems .

1BIGBADSLVRAM

Reaction score
glad to hear lots of u haul your rzr side loaded on a deck without problems. I've never actually tried it but sold my longbox and now have a short box so will be hauling it side loaded this year

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some have said loading their sidexside instead of straight on loading it from the side, if someone can vedio this it would be cool. As my ramps lock in at the back for straight loading. Is their a special way to load from the side?

Wemac

Reaction score
What deck are you using? I bought the side load bar with my Marathon deck. It slides over the side rail o my ramps can hook onto it and lock in place.

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a tube at the back that the ramps a single and quad ramp lock in and the side is just a straight piece of steel so I can t load on the side.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any height issues loading a rzr on a sled deck sideways?? I have a 6" lift w/ 36" tires on a 2012 2500 Duramax and the marathon truckboss. I believe legal limit is 13'6"... i'm thinking I would be very close to that. My deck surface sits about eye level if not a touch higher than that right now so call it 5'8"... plus the height of the sxs on top of that. Does anybody know the height of a 800s? xp 900? wildcat?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Anybody have any height issues loading a rzr on a sled deck sideways?? I have a 6" lift w/ 36" tires on a 2012 2500 Duramax and the marathon truckboss. I believe legal limit is 13'6"... i'm thinking I would be very close to that. My deck surface sits about eye level if not a touch higher than that right now so call it 5'8"... plus the height of the sxs on top of that. Does anybody know the height of a 800s? xp 900? wildcat?

Width may end up being your issue if you are side loading a SXS

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya 8'6" seems to be the legal width but it sounds like lots of guys are slipping by being a couple inches over?

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recall pics on S&M of a blue Dodge that had a custom built steel rig in the back for hauling a Rhino... think he was selling the set up. I would like to build something similar but can't for the life of me find the pics of it. Pretty sure he was using it without the tailgate to keep the weight off of it - if anyone comes accross the pics of it, I would sure appreciate a 'heads up' to refresh my memory on how it was all built. I need to incorporate the 140 liter diesel fuel tank at the front of my box also... Any ideas or pics of what you use would be great - thanks in advance.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I recall pics on S&M of a blue Dodge that had a custom built steel rig in the back for hauling a Rhino... think he was selling the set up. I would like to build something similar but can't for the life of me find the pics of it. Pretty sure he was using it without the tailgate to keep the weight off of it - if anyone comes accross the pics of it, I would sure appreciate a 'heads up' to refresh my memory on how it was all built. I need to incorporate the 140 liter diesel fuel tank at the front of my box also... Any ideas or pics of what you use would be great - thanks in advance.

did it go up over the cab of the truck Chet?

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did it go up over the cab of the truck Chet?
No sir... think it has a bit of a riser in the front though... sure wish I could find the pics. I don't need it to be able to haul a trailer so it can stick out the back of the truck but would like the Rhino on the 'steel frame' rather than the tailgate - don't trust those wee cables at all. My brother is a welder/fabricator so he is already working on a bit of a design - just always good to have others input also.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

800 RZR with bumpers is pretty much 9' long 8.5 is legal. The XP and Wild cat would be a certain over width ticket.

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its the one around Slyvain Lake that was for sale it was a custom build and would only fit a long box Dodge. Deck and ramps were custom built. Almost bought it.

Top Bottom