Has anyone installed an engine-tech M9 kit?

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done a few here at my shop and they work very nice. Make real good power. I've only ever used the Boondocker Box. Have a few issues with them but no worse than most other boxes out there. The best pipe for them is the Jaws twins but they are tight though. They seem to run very well and very reliable for a BB.

dwayne2960

Reaction score
the kit is going onto a customer sled with some tuning sense. Would like to set up once and let him ride, so I 'm thinking of the BMP single pipe as recommended by engine-tech. a little less HP but less phone calls for me!!

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the BMP y-pipe, single pipe and can and a pure logic fuel controller. I run an EGT and an AEM air/fuel gauge. I highly recommend these 2 tuning aids, they let you know what's happening at all times. I had to install an OVS fuel pressure regulator to get my pressure right (lowered my pressure from 42 lbs to 37 lbs). This motor works very well, I'm happy with mine. Hope this helps. If you need more info, let me know.

Cheers;
Shane

dwayne2960

Reaction score
thanks Shane but why both an egt an air ratio gauge is one more responsive than the other? I run EGTs on my sleds and tune hot rods with the air/fuel gauge. never even tried the air/fuel gauge on a 2 stroke!

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks Shane but why both an egt an air ratio gauge is one more responsive than the other? I run EGTs on my sleds and tune hot rods with the air/fuel gauge. never even tried the air/fuel gauge on a 2 stroke!
i find the egt's are not always accurate the a/f is just some extra security keeps the ratio more consistant

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I like the air/fuel the best cause it's very accurate, responsive and reliable, my air/fuel has 2 seasons on it without a failure. I run EGT's as a backup I guess, the EGT is very handy for confirming my air/fuel numbers. Now that you mention it, I could probably pull the EGT off cause I very seldom look at it. If I had to choose, hands down the EGT would go and I would keep my air/fuel.

Cheers;
Shane

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dwayne2960 does your customer ride mountains alot and is he/she gonna be happy with 165 to 170ish hp?
This motor hasn't been very finicky to tune once I got a good fuel controller, I had some early troubles due to a faulty second hand controller, I will never buy a used controller with a custom program again:rant:, big mistake that cost me a lot of good ridetime.
I already have a BDX intake and reeds and was looking for a little more so I spoke to Art Sever about a set of heads for this motor and he said I would see virtually no power gain with a single pipe setup. I think I'll try some Jaws twins and if I want a little more, the heads as well.
The downside to twins in this chassis is the lack of room, the pipes start melting things and it's a major to get at the plugs to check them for tuning. I'll get around the heat issue with some wrap and I think I will likely need to only check plugs once to confirm my air/fuel numbers then I can use my air/fuel thereafter to get this setup to work and I should be in the mid 180's for horsepower:d:d.

Cheers;
Shane

dwayne2960

Reaction score
He does about 4-5 mountain rides a year. we were hoping for the 175hp mark as rated by Art from engine tech. Did some more research some guys found the bmp pipe to work good in the low lands by not to make power in the mountains. They say the speedwerx 925 bigbore pipe works much better. Had no hp#s. if I can get 170-175hp thats pretty good.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know about the pipe, thanks Dwayne. If I stay single piped I will look into the speedwerx.

Cheers;
Shane

Top Bottom