Gun control, it's coming...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

While the rate of homicides involving a firearm has increased in Canada, those crimes are not usually committed by people who have a licence for the weapon, according to a Statistics Canada report.

“The firearms used in homicides were rarely legal firearms used by their legal owners who were in good standing,” said the report, titled Firearms and Violent Crime in Canada 2022.
Looking at data from 2022, the report found that around half of the firearm-related murders were carried out by those who had obtained the gun legally (58 out of 113 homicides).

“In most firearm-related homicides, the accused did not have a valid firearm licence for the class of firearm used” the report said.

“Among the homicides for which the information was available, the accused had a licence in 13 percent (16 of 119 homicides) of homicides involving a handgun and in 12 percent (7 of 59) of homicides involving a rifle or shotgun.”

In the cases where an illegally obtained weapon was used, most had never been “legally owned” in Canada, StatCan said.

The weapon had been stolen from a legal owner in eight cases. and in five cases it had been illegally purchased from the owner. Forty-eight of the weapons that the police examined were of “unknown origin,” 14 were from the United States, and was one foreign.

Gun Crime on the Rise​

Statistics Canada says gun-related violent crimes in 2022 were 8.9 percent higher than the previous year. Police reported about 14,000 violent crimes involving firearms, which is a rate of 36.7 incidents per 100,000 population.
The number represents a “peak” since the data started being collected in 2009, the report said. It’s also the highest rate since 1991.

Ontario and New Brunswick saw the highest increase in violent gun crimes from 2021, up 24 percent in both provinces. B.C. saw one of the highest increases at 12 percent.

In 2013, violent gun crimes were at a low, StatCan said, and all provinces have seen an increase since then, with the highest being the Northwest Territories at a 303 percent increase, Saskatchewan at 165 percent, Yukon at 149 percent, and New Brunswick at 126 percent.

“While the overall increase in the rate of firearm-related violent crime since 2013 was observed less in southern urban areas (+45 percent), some census metropolitan areas saw a relatively significant increase over the past few years,” the report said. “In 10 years, the rate almost quadrupled in Greater Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Regina.”

Toronto accounted for over half the gun-related violin crimes in Ontario for 2022, the report says. The crimes represented 18 percent of gun violence in Canada. There were 725 more firearm-related violent crimes reported to police than in 2021.

In Vancouver, police saw a 24 percent increase in violent gun crimes compared to 2021.

“However, the rate in 2021 (19.1) was the lowest recorded since 2009 and followed a generally downward trend,” the report stated.

Regina, Saskatchewan, had the highest rate of gun-related violent crime, at 83 incidents per 100,000 population. Violent gun crimes nearly quadrupled in Regina over the last 10 years. Seven percent of violent crime in the city involves guns, Stats Canada said.

The report also found that two-thirds or 69 percent of firearm-related homicide victims were involved with criminal activity, compared with 33 percent of homicide victims where guns were not the weapon.

“In other words, most (82 percent) organized crime-related homicides involved discharging a firearm, and two-thirds (70 percent) of these homicides were committed with a handgun,” it said.

The report notes that crimes involving handguns have increased 50 percent and guns in the “unknown” type of weapon have increased 76 percent since 2013.

StatCan says the types of crimes involving guns that saw an increase were discharging a firearm with intent, using a firearm during the commission of an offence, and pointing a firearm. These crimes increased 120 percent since 2013.

Threats, extortion, or intimidation crimes saw a 93 percent increase, while murder, attempted murder, and other crimes causing death increased 64 percent.

Teen Boys Most Accused of Gun Crime​

Boys between 12 and 17 years of age were the ones most likely to be accused of gun-related violent crime in 2022, the report said. They were 18 percent of all accused persons.
Stats Canada says the rate of boys being involved in these crimes has increased by 47 percent since 2012. Men between 18 and 24 accused of violent gun crimes have only increased by four percent since 2012.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with ccfr do you guys figure? My membership is up. Worth it to continue supporting?
Definitely! I’d support them before the NFA if you are limited in funds. I support both but wonder out loud why as I can’t see anything the NFA has done for us other than bitch about the current state of affairs amongst themselves. At least the CCFR fought them in a court of law and Rod Giltaca seems to be the go to guy for gun legislation committees.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO forget it and by yourself some more ammo.
Because just getting run over is a good strategy? I thought you were anti government? Oh ya you’re a hunter. Phack the sport shooters…….till he comes for your hunting rifle. You can thank Carey Price for saving your azz on that

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because just getting run over is a good strategy? I thought you were anti government? Oh ya you’re a hunter. Phack the sport shooters…….till he comes for your hunting rifle. You can thank Carey Price for saving your azz on that

You sure know it all, don't you? Yes, All I have is a musket. I'm also a sport shooter. Some people will give them up, some won't... But you go ahead and donate all you can.. Let us know of each donation. I thanks ancestors for my freedom they paid for in blood.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sure know it all, don't you? Yes, All I have is a musket. I'm also a sport shooter. Some people will give them up, some won't... But you go ahead and donate all you can.. Let us know of each donation. I thanks ancestors for my freedom they paid for in blood.
Yeah I guess I know a bit more than you apparently. The CCFR is doing things so you don’t have to. How many senators did you email when c21 was being debated? Do you know what C21 is? Tell us what you’ve done? I’m interested

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess I know a bit more than you apparently. The CCFR is doing things so you don’t have to. How many senators did you email when c21 was being debated? Do you know what C21 is? Tell us what you’ve done? I’m interested

Right on, thank you for your service. Absolutely nothing... Like I said, some will run and turn them in when they are told and some won't.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on, thank you for your service. Absolutely nothing... Like I said, some will run and turn them in when they are told and some won't.
Does it matter that someone is trying to put this all to rest legally in the court system? We can hold on to our guns until the RC’s show up and go to jail. Or we can beat these SOB’s in court and set a precedent that will protect future gun owners for decades. Think with your brain and not your heart man.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you trust the court system? I have my doubts. Just look at the govt, healthcare system, school system, etc etc.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you trust the court system? I have my doubts. Just look at the govt, healthcare system, school system, etc etc.
It’s all we have right now. It’s being polluted just like politics is. Partisan judges and senators sadly. We had a liberal appointed judge for round one. Hopefully the appeal judge will be conservative. 🤷

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it matter that someone is trying to put this all to rest legally in the court system? We can hold on to our guns until the RC’s show up and go to jail. Or we can beat these SOB’s in court and set a precedent that will protect future gun owners for decades. Think with your brain and not your heart man.

Well that's great, hopefully it works out. I always try and use my brain, it's kept me from being on the died suddenly list.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that's great, hopefully it works out. I always try and use my brain, it's kept me from being on the died suddenly list.
That’s good. All I’m saying is we have to fight this anyway we can. To say not to support a group that is fighting for us is stupid. Laying down and waiting for them to come is not a solution. I think when it comes right down to it if 4 Mounties come to your door and demand you give them your guns you are going to look at your wife and kids and turn them in. Everybody talks tough on the internet. There are people that will go down in a gunfight I can guarantee it. ch!t will hit the fan.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s good. All I’m saying is we have to fight this anyway we can. To say not to support a group that is fighting for us is stupid. Laying down and waiting for them to come is not a solution. I think when it comes right down to it if 4 Mounties come to your door and demand you give them your guns you are going to look at your wife and kids and turn them in. Everybody talks tough on the internet. There are people that will go down in a gunfight I can guarantee it. ch!t will hit the fan.

Like I said, hopefully it works out...it would be great if it did....

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1708195309400.png

Top Bottom